PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Issues

Phil
06-29-2014, 03:49 AM
hi guys! I have a 150cc jmstar scooter and its having some electrical issues. Its been starting kinda rough, like there isnt enough cold cranking amps to get it goin. but eventually starts up. I had the battery tested and its testing great. I did buy this scooter about a month ago with only 65 miles on it. The old gentlemen I bought it from rode it for about 2 weeks back in 2008 and it has sat in a storage shed since then. Up until he sold it, I believe he had it on a charger occasionally. Now when I get it started, the head light, tail light, and dash lights are super dim, even with cranking the throttle the dimness doesnt change. But when I put on my brights (passing switch) its bright as day, but when putting on brights to set them on bright, its dim as the other lights. Ive been doing some research and have read to check the cdi and the stator. I havent done either yet, but was wondering if there might be anyone to have any other advice. Thank You guys!

Madathlon
06-29-2014, 10:31 AM
OKay, simple test to see if the Voltage Reg and Stator are working.

You will need a Voltmeter set to 20vDC.

With the key off check the battery voltage and write it down. (Norm should be around 12.5 to 13VDC)

Start scooter and while it is running check the battery once more. If the Voltage Reg and stator are working you will see the battery voltage climb slowly towards 14vDC. If it does not then the next step is to replace the voltage Reg. And then retest.

Phil
06-29-2014, 11:19 AM
Thank You! I will get to testing

Phil
06-29-2014, 05:46 PM
when not started battery reads 12.25. When started battery reads 12.15 and stays there. not climbing. so i guess the regulator needs replaced for step 1

Madathlon
06-29-2014, 06:09 PM
when not started battery reads 12.25. When started battery reads 12.15 and stays there. not climbing. so i guess the regulator needs replaced for step 1

Its the most common reason for the scooter not to charge.

Phil
06-30-2014, 01:17 PM
ok so i took off the front nose plastics, the plastics in front of where the handle bars are and the plastics around the gas fuel cap, and I am stumped to find the voltage regulator. any idea where this thing is?

Phil
06-30-2014, 02:42 PM
ok i found it and removed it. Lights are shining bright as day after removing, is this normal? does this indicate that the voltage regulator is bad?

Madathlon
06-30-2014, 02:58 PM
Did you replace it?

The lights run of the AC side of the stator on most chines scooter, if they are running bright once more with the Reg removed (Hopefully replaced) then that was your problem