PDA

View Full Version : fork rebuild

ellis4pa
06-25-2014, 04:37 PM
Has anyone rebuilt their forks? I've blown one out and I'm waiting for my replacement, actually I got it but they sent me a rear shock instead so back to waiting. But now the other one is starting to leak and my warranty is up so I think I want to try and rebuild it. I need to figure out what seals are needed and what oil to put in to fill it. Also, since the shock has gone out it developed a squeal when driving, I think my wheel bearings are out. I had it apart today to see what I can find, and I was going to change the bearings at the same time but there is a spacer in between them and I couldn't tap therm out, and suggestions? Oh, one last thing, does anyone know the torque spec for the axle nut? I've called the dealer and was on hold for an hour before I gave up.

Maddog
06-26-2014, 09:23 PM
Let me preface this saying that there are several variations of wheels and bearings.
Generally, first remove the dust seals, then remove any snap rings or clips that may retain the bearings. Using a hammer and long punch, go through the center support and punch the bearing from the back side. Take care to drive the bearing evenly because if cocked , the bearing becomes very difficult to move. Do the same for both sides.
Torque on the axel may vary but I wouldn't exceed 90ft lbs or 122nm. As always if you can't figure it out read the manual.

ellis4pa
06-30-2014, 11:06 PM
Thanks Mad dog, I haven't gotten to the front bearings but I did replace the rear and it was the one making noise. I didn't know these bearings were only sealed on one side. But the rear was missing 3 ball bearings and 2 of the ones still in there were shattered, so I replaced it with a sealed bearing withthe C3 certification and bought two more good ones for the front but I'm waiting for their fork to replace them.

Maddog
07-02-2014, 01:47 PM
What make / model you riding. Bearing failure usually only happens after many miles or extreme heat?
Those fork seals are not too tough, just the access to fork removal may take some disassembly.

ellis4pa
07-02-2014, 01:59 PM
Its a Roketa MC-54B.
It looks to me like the grease was washed out from a couple of wet rides, there is supposed to be a rubber dust shield on the rear but it wasn't there. So I got the 2RS bearings to keep the weather out.

Once the axle is out of the front its only 2 bolts to remove the fork, but I'm trying to find a rebuild kit for them in case they go out again I can just rebuild them.

Maddog
07-02-2014, 09:09 PM
The kit is just bushings and seals, usually the bushings are reused. Remove the forks, remove the cap / bolt, remove the spring, drain the fluid. Pry the dust seal down, remove the snap ring, then jar the seal out by expanding the forks. Replace the oil seal, dust seal and if necessary the bushings. It helps to have a seal driver to install but other methods can be used. Two key points, loosen the cap bolts before removing from the bike as the fork tubes are impossible to hold still while loosening the cap.
Also capture the oil and use it as a guide as to how much replacement oil you use.
I've rebuilt lots of forks of all styles, you probably just need a reseal. Good luck!