PDA

View Full Version : Tire size, bike weight, acceleration

old_dawg
06-20-2014, 09:42 PM
Hi.
I gotten injured riding dirtbike, and I can no longer ride my Honda XR650 street bike because it's too heavy and tall. I figure I should find something easier to commute on. Maybe a 150cc China scooter. But I've never ridden a scooter.

I notice some 150 have small wheels and some have much bigger wheels.
I notice some 150 have shorter wheelbase and weighs less.

I want to buy the 150 China scooter that is best in acceleration. I don't care about top speed, as long as it can do at least top out at 45. The only thing I case about is acceleration (cagers here drive like maniacs). I need to be able to pull away from danger. The terrain here is pretty flat. Only have to deal with highway overpasses.

Would the best acceleration 150 scooter would one that is lightest? If so, I should look for one with 10-inch wheel and 46-inch wheel base. What is this scooter? I want to buy brand new. No second hand. My budget is $2000.

Madathlon
06-20-2014, 09:59 PM
Well All I ever had is my Roketa MC-04-150Y (Chinese made GY6) with 13in wheels. as for wheels the bigger the better the ride. you have to remember that not all roads are perfect and smooth. larger tires handle ruts and potholes much better.

As for take off, I can pull away from all traffic at a stop inside of our city with no issues.

Rhompin45
06-22-2014, 10:18 PM
The wheel size normally doesn't matter as they compensate with gears. So for your case it doesn't really matter. And once you get a scoot there are thousands of different upgrades you can do. I did a simple jet upsize and remove the stock air intake and it helped some and that can be done fairly cheap.