PDA

View Full Version : Piaggio sfera (zip) wont start

padly1995
06-13-2014, 12:52 AM
Hy i bought piaggio sfera (same frame and engine as Zip) that was sitting in the basement for 5 years, i drive it for about 0,5km than i cleaned carb with air compressor and checked if oil pump is working -its working! I Put new fuel and oil in it!
I took it on a test ride and it was running well, but the engine was kind off hot i think!
Engine looked wery bad so i took it off and cleaned it with wire brush, than i putted it back together and rev it on the stand, turned it off and rev it again and turn it off normaly! Next day i wanted to start it, it started and died in about 3 seconds... now it wont start :S

I got spark, fuel and compression (piston is new, cylinder is not that bad)!

I have 19mm carb 72 jet and malossi MHR air filter on it!

I know that carb and jet are too big but can this be the problem if scooter was working with same setup all the time before? Thanks

padly1995
06-13-2014, 05:17 PM
Hy thats what i found out today...
If i put the fuel directly into the intake manyfold with carb off scooter will start and run for about 5 to 10 seconds, but as soon as i put the carb back to intake manyfold scooter will die immediately... i cleaned the carb again and there was no difriendse... I tried to restrict the air flow and also without air filter, but the was no difriendse... Is it posible that because the carb is 19mm so its runing rich i think, scooter wont start when colder outside, but will start when warmer ? thanks

Firehawk989
06-13-2014, 07:16 PM
Try adjusting your mixture screw, 1.5 turns out is usually a good starting point. 72 jet sounds too small for a carb that big, my Zuma in its stock 50cc config had an 80 jet.

After sitting for 5 years the fuel hoses and tank may have debris in them which is repeatedly clogging your carb. You may have to flush and/or replace all the lines.

padly1995
06-14-2014, 05:38 AM
Try adjusting your mixture screw, 1.5 turns out is usually a good starting point. 72 jet sounds too small for a carb that big, my Zuma in its stock 50cc config had an 80 jet.

After sitting for 5 years the fuel hoses and tank may have debris in them which is repeatedly clogging your carb. You may have to flush and/or replace all the lines.

Hy, thanks for your anwser, can air mixture screw be that affective that scooter wont start if not set right? I also have 4 stroke scooter and i can ajdust this screw however i want and scoot will still start.

About the fuel hoses... today i will try to make a gas tank from a bottle and also use new hose... and if scooter will work i will clean gas tankk and repleace the lines :) This might be the case because yesterday when i cleaned the carb i managed to get scooter running for a little time, but when i putted a little of gas scooter just bogged down and didnt start again :S

Thanks

padly1995
06-14-2014, 03:36 PM
Hy, thanks for your anwser, can air mixture screw be that affective that scooter wont start if not set right? I also have 4 stroke scooter and i can ajdust this screw however i want and scoot will still start.

About the fuel hoses... today i will try to make a gas tank from a bottle and also use new hose... and if scooter will work i will clean gas tankk and repleace the lines :) This might be the case because yesterday when i cleaned the carb i managed to get scooter running for a little time, but when i putted a little of gas scooter just bogged down and didnt start again :S

Thanks

Today i cleaned carb again and scooter started working :) Im just wondering what kind of screws are holding te cilynder? Because i broke one and i need to buy new ones :S thanks