PDA

View Full Version : 150cc tao tao carb upgrade too big -

J Boogie
06-01-2014, 05:48 PM
I have a 2011 GY6 powermax 150 (VIP) that I bought used as a fun project. Ended up buying a 30mm carb (upgrade from stock 24) and a new intake manifold. Problem is even with 1/4" rubber spacer it doesn't fit nice (back of frame would hit carb when flexing). I have been considering my options, and have come up with two. Basically, I wanna run these two by the community and see what you guys think...

Option A) put a 31mm riser on there and then use a 30-45 degree curve of hose to go off to the left a bit (1st image), with a straight in air filter instead of filter box (which I dont like because of limited room there for air filter, and its still dangerously close to the bottom half of frame when rockers get compressed)

or B) this configuration (2nd image), with a custom made bracket to secure the carb to upper part of frame and keep it level (and from bouncing too much) But my concern is that in this option, even if I cut a couple inches off the ends of that hose, it would still be too long (???)

and of course option C = having something fabricated or getting one of those super high like 5" risers but then, (as with the 30-45 degree angle idea) I am in danger of running out of clearance under the seat bucket...

This is my first scoot, but I once rebuilt a 79 chevy van and have always worked on my own cars/mowers/etc so, while I may not be a mechanical genius - common sense tells me the path between carb output and piston head should be minimal traveling distance for optimal performance... Hoping you guys with more experience rebuilding scoots can offer some insight, here.

Those of you who would flame or bash my post, please remember that there was a time you didn't know jack, so I respectfully request you save the smarta$$ comments. Thanks in advance, to those of you who do have constructive feedback. I am glad to be a new member, as I have found a lot of helpful info/people here while trolling other threads. and I have also been having tons of fun working on this thing and have had several opportunities to implement some of the invaluable info I have found on these boards. Cheers! :cheers:

J Boogie
06-17-2014, 02:55 PM
the final solution ended up being a 31mm riser AND an angled clocking flange with 5mm spacers between them (and another between that and the intake manifold). Now it clears back part of frame but protrudes up and out far enough to be in the way of the seat bucket. I will probably end up modding seat bucket (cutting out deepest part that is a problem, and creating a new bottom 'floor' in there somehow). Thought I would post this solution regardless of lack of help from community in case it helps someone later. ~EZ.

blueboy5000
06-18-2014, 07:55 AM
I don't think an help was offered because there isn't really a "correct" way to do this. I used a section of stainless pipe, others have used PVC pipe, some make custom spaces (I made mine from a block of 7075 aircraft aluminum scrap. One of my club members even put his carb on 180 degrees from stock, so it faced forward, and made a cool "scoop" for 'ram-air'.

Basically, this is pure custom stuff, you're free to do whatever you please.

4getful2
06-18-2014, 07:06 PM
I don't see anything wrong with what you're doing as long as the intake manifold-runner isn't too long.
Same goes for the air filter pickup,Try running it up front or if you're deleting the bucket all together, you could use that area for an air pickup. Out the back, you'd probably pick up too much dust.
You may have to play with your needle adjustment a bit.