PDA

View Full Version : Help!!

BubbaBrock
06-01-2014, 12:57 PM
I am new to the world of scooters. Looking to make my first purchase in order to save the miles on my truck. Will be using the moped to get around a college campus making short trips for my day job and also use it at night when I work security. I am looking for a 50cc scooter and not looking to spend thousands of dollars. The most trustworthy website I seem to have found is superiorpowersports.com and I am interested in the Tao Tao, Roketa, and Icebear scooters. I live in an apartment and access to tools and a garage is not much of an option and my knowledge of engines is not great. Tao Tao seems to be a scooter that takes a lot of work before it is road ready. Are all scooters this way? Which scooter is the best bang for my buck? Which is most reliable and perform perfectly with stock parts? Any help is appreciated!

Madathlon
06-01-2014, 02:09 PM
While you may need help, It is the worse thread title out there. It does not tell us what you need or way. it make searching a nightmare for others and it never helps you. So please start a new thread with a proper title and I bet someone will come along and give you the information you need.

As to your question, there all chinese scooter and are about the same basically.

bnc
06-01-2014, 04:26 PM
If you want reliability at a low price, I would suggest looking for a used, low mileage Yamaha or Honda 50 cc scooter on Craigslist.

I met a retired doctor who is 83 years old. He bought a Yamaha Vino 50 cc off Craigslist for about $800 with less than 1,000 miles. He knows nothing at all about it other than it works and works and works and gets nearly 100 mpg. He is the guy who got me thinking that I should get a scooter too.

Admin
06-01-2014, 05:35 PM
While you may need help, It is the worse thread title out there. It does not tell us what you need or way. it make searching a nightmare for others and it never helps you. So please start a new thread with a proper title and I bet someone will come along and give you the information you need.

As to your question, there all chinese scooter and are about the same basically.

I agree, thread titles should be more descriptive and to the point. However, do not start a new thread.. simply edit the title.

By the way, welcome to SD! :)

kz1000st
06-02-2014, 08:32 AM
If you want reliability at a low price, I would suggest looking for a used, low mileage Yamaha or Honda 50 cc scooter on Craigslist.

I met a retired doctor who is 83 years old. He bought a Yamaha Vino 50 cc off Craigslist for about $800 with less than 1,000 miles. He knows nothing at all about it other than it works and works and works and gets nearly 100 mpg. He is the guy who got me thinking that I should get a scooter too.

I second this with one proviso. You might also look at scooters from Taiwan like Kymco or SYM. You might be able to pick up a more current model and the parts will be slightly cheaper if any are needed. These companies build amazingly reliable scooters on improved GY6 technology.

BubbaBrock
06-02-2014, 07:27 PM
http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/4474182503.html

What do you think of this deal??

kz1000st
06-02-2014, 09:04 PM
I would shy away from having to play games to get a title. Plus, while the mods are nice $700 is a lot to pay. The KBB on a used 2008 150cc scooter is about $390 (I checked). I would stick to your original plan.

This is a bargain

http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/4486702687.html

BubbaBrock
06-02-2014, 11:42 PM
Thank you for the help and this ad! Will definitely look into this scooter and try to find others like it. I am located in West Texas but willing to drive to get scooter so if you come across any that catch your eye let me know. But you don't owe me anything and you have been plenty helpful so far!

kz1000st
06-03-2014, 06:26 AM
Let us know what you get. Inquiring minds want to know.

This is hot!

http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/4500062857.html

thumper650
06-03-2014, 05:29 PM
If you plan to become a scooter mechanic, get a Roketa, IceBear, etc....
If you just want to ride it get something a little better like a SYM, KYMCO or used Honda, Yamaha or Suzuki.
And no matter what, get a title on anything more than 50cc!!

Gimpdog
06-03-2014, 06:06 PM
Nowadays you need to have a title on everything....