PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy non-running Runmaster 49cc

scsc7211
05-15-2014, 07:36 PM
Hi all,

This is my first post, but I'm in need of some advice from you all.

An acquaintance of mine has a Runmaster 49cc scooter with 350 miles on it that is no longer running that he would like to sell.

From what he said, he bought it at the start of college and hardly used it. It sat in a garage for two years, then outside under a tarp for another 2 years. The scooter no longer starts, but other than that, I don't have too much additional information.

He said that he would want to get $300 for it, and I'm not sure whether this would be a project worth taking on. I have some gearhead friends who would be willing to work on it with me, but what do you think would be a good price to offer, if any?

I attached two pictures that he sent me, but it's the same scooter as the one below:

http://revmoto.net/Content/169-1706-medium.jpg

Thanks,
scsc7211

bnc
05-15-2014, 07:58 PM
I wouldn't. I have bought non-running scooters but its pretty important to be able to get parts. A simple search and this scooter didn't come up at all.

I had a Yamaha Riva XC125 I bought for $210 non-running but there is a Yahoo forum dedicated to it and similar models with people from whom I could get almost anything for it for a decent price. After I got it running, it would get 92 mpg on summer gas and top out at 57 mph. It was really reliable too.

Gimpdog
05-15-2014, 08:08 PM
Welcome scsc7211! Anything can be fixed for a price. The main thing that the posters around these threads are having issues with is the title. Not having a title could cost you more that the scooter itself. You didn't mention where you're from, but a lot of States are moving to where all scooters need a title and registration. So I would check on that...
You said that the scooter hasn't run for 4 years, half outside. That means at least a new battery, and more than likely new fuel, etc., lines Not running? At least a good carb clean up, maybe even a seized motor. The scoot has been dumped at once, and maybe electrical problems since the inside plastic has been torn apart. What does the other side look like? Plastic repair does add up...
Just some of my thoughts looking at the pics...

scsc7211
05-15-2014, 08:44 PM
Thanks for the help guys. I was leaning away from it just because it looks like it's in pretty rough shape physically, not to mention all of the other unknowns. Now I'm convinced it looks like more work and money than it's worth.

thumper650
05-15-2014, 09:17 PM
No.

inuyasha
05-16-2014, 09:12 AM
Hi
Welcome aboard
Pleased to meet you
If its your first motorbike and you have basically no knowledge on repairs or mantainance at the present time I would pass and get one that is in good running condition
Once you have had the time to learn the skills nessacary and acquire the tools needed to properly keep them in excellent condition only then would I think about getting project scoots
Take care and ride safely
Yours Hank

05zuma
05-16-2014, 01:40 PM
I wouldn't buy a non running Chinese moped buy u a name brand one u can at least buy parts for them and them be reliable

ng5y
05-17-2014, 06:13 AM
IMHO, it's worth $150 max. Offer $100 first