PDA

View Full Version : Oil?

techie610
05-08-2014, 08:48 AM
What name brand of oil do you use, and what weight? Just curious..
I use Castrol 10-40.

inuyasha
05-08-2014, 08:57 AM
Hi
For my 4 t scoots I use 10w40 warm months and 15w30 in the colder months
And I use Royal purple in all of my motorbikes be they 2t or 4 t
Take care and ride safely dear friend
Yours Hank

twowheeler
05-08-2014, 12:42 PM
10w40 Royal Purple cycle oil....(and I paid 2.50 a quart since work discontinued the product and printed discount labels for it!) Before that i used Rotella T6 1540

ventoman
05-08-2014, 01:39 PM
I used rotella 15w40 in my 4 stroke and I use vavoline 2 cycle in my 2 stroke. So far so good.

scootnwinn
05-08-2014, 03:18 PM
I use Castrol 10 40 motorcycle formula and just make sure it's changed on time. The benefit of synthetics is partly their longevity. I can't leave the oil in there that long it messes with my mind so I would pay more and receive no benefit. My oil generally still looks ok at oil changes so I'll stick with it.

Bvance554
05-09-2014, 12:30 AM
Rotella 15w-40

kz1000st
05-09-2014, 08:11 AM
I'm using Mobil 1 0W-40 in the Fashion. All the rest get 10W-40s of various brands.

techie610
05-09-2014, 09:58 AM
Hmmm. 10-40 seems to be trending here.. lol

twowheeler
05-09-2014, 12:58 PM
30 weight oils have had to eliminate much of the protective qualities oils had due to emissions and cat converters. This is why most people run 1040 or 1540 since they still have the good stuff. 15w40 has the best protective packages.

RetroBrian
05-10-2014, 12:01 PM
Rotella 15w-40

Gimpdog
05-10-2014, 10:59 PM
What about 20/50 in the warmer states? Anybody use that weight?

Firehawk989
05-12-2014, 07:18 PM
My 2T gets Motul 710 or Motul Scooter Expert, both are full synthetic.

rks
05-17-2014, 06:42 AM
I use Castrol 10 40 motorcycle formula and just make sure it's changed on time. The benefit of synthetics is partly their longevity. I can't leave the oil in there that long it messes with my mind so I would pay more and receive no benefit. My oil generally still looks ok at oil changes so I'll stick with it.

I have to agree with Scootwin about leaving it in there, and messing with the mind:hmm:.... So I use conventional oil, besides, in the 50 years that I've owned/driven/riden, everything from scooters, to MC's, to ag tractors, to cars and pickups, to tractor-trailers, I've never experienced a lubrication related failure..."If it ain't broke..don't fix it"

I vote for Mobil Delvac 15w/40. Have run it millions and millions of miles, on road, and thousands and thousands of hours, off road.. Just my $.02

bandito2
05-17-2014, 03:59 PM
Mobil 1 Synthetic. 10-30 because it was on sale and I got a bunch of it. Works well enough for my Reflex. But if the 10-40 or 15-40 Mobil 1 synthetic was on sale, I would have bought a 12 case of that instead......just because. Having said that though, unless the ambient temperatures are very hot or very cold, the 10-30 is sufficient for my application since that is what the service manual calls for anyway.

twowheeler
05-17-2014, 04:09 PM
These little oil pumps cant handle 20-50 thats why i run 40 weight synthetic. Oil wont thin out like conventional 40

whitney1207
05-17-2014, 05:58 PM
Mobil-1 10W-40

Cyborg
05-20-2014, 10:08 PM
i'm running vespas synth now,,,moto ani 5-40,,agips moto oil,,,,at $14 a quart THAT won't be happening anytime soon,,,it'll be rotella from now on,,,funny the filters at the dealer counter were less than i saw on ebay,,,

Gimpdog
05-20-2014, 11:30 PM
These little oil pumps cant handle 20-50 thats why i run 40 weight synthetic. Oil wont thin out like conventional 40

Didn't think of that... Thanks!

TheAmishSasquatch
06-22-2014, 08:19 AM
Currently running Amsoil Interceptor synthetic 2T oil. I've also had good experience with Motul products in the past.

cheapeto
06-23-2014, 01:31 PM
Before I went on a trip last wednesday, I changed to Royal Purple.

savy09
06-25-2014, 09:11 PM
10-40 Mobil 1 for the past 3000 miles… works for me on my Vogue/AM trike. At 4,000 miles and big red keeps purring along in s.florida summer weather.

nwscooterboy
07-05-2014, 02:19 PM
So I'm getting stuff together to prepare for the arrival of my new scoot and one of the things that I picked up was Castrol 10-40 oil. However I picked up regular car motor oil? I'm seeing some folks have mentioned "motorcycle formula", etc....did I get the wrong stuff? Can I find motorcycle forumula/twin engine oil at a regular car place like O'Reilly's, etc?

Oops....nevermind. I found my answer. : )

Vision
07-10-2014, 08:29 PM
I just switched to synthetic rotella 5w-40 and the bike definitely runs better.

summerplace
07-11-2014, 05:23 PM
I too use 20-50 conventional Valvoline motorcycle oil in my Yamaha Vino 125. Scoot is used in southern Ohio in summer and south Florida in winter. Always hot and usually run near wide open. Yamaha now offers their brand in 20w-50, so I guess that answers the question about these little engines handling the 50 wt.

bull
02-20-2015, 10:04 AM
I use Mobil 1 10W30 in everything 4 stroke. It is not only a better lubricant but definitely reduces friction which makes engines run smoother. Purchase it through walmarts online and pick it up at the store.

I use Lucas's Top engine oil to lubricate upper cylinder and it provides a better running,smoother acceleration and less friction.

Am currently considering 5W30 but a little hesitant.

Nice to know which synthetic for 2 stroke engines as I am starting to service some of them. Curious about upper cylinder lube on 2 strokes that mix in the carb, there is no protection or lubricant through the fuel system until it mixes-- any thoughts about using the Lucas in the fuel?

Scoot703
02-26-2015, 10:01 AM
how do i start a threat/ post im new and really need help

Irish
02-27-2015, 03:27 PM
I don't know if this means anything but I recently relocated to the W.Melbourne Fla area & I noticed that most of the cycle dealers & a lot of the specialty cycle shops use Amsoil ( sp? ) oil. Irish:shrug:

bull
02-28-2015, 03:00 AM
Irish, don't know if this is still true, but Amsoil was originally a MLM company, and if they are still that could explain the product's usage at shops.

I have done some research on 2 stroke oil and think this might be an appropriate place to share it. Be cautious and read the package carefully about which 2 stroke oil you use as it is possible to use the wrong one and do damage to your scooter. Here is how:

Some synthetic 2 stroke oils are NOT formulated to be used in "autolube" or "injected" scooters, they are only suitable as a pre-mixed fuel. eg: Bel Ray's MC1 Synthetic Racing oil is such an oil and if you were to use it in an "autolube" system such as Yamaha, or Aprilia Ditech "injected" systems, it might not work and could damage the engine.

Irish
05-08-2015, 10:14 AM
I hve not seen any of the Amsoil Oil for sale in anyplace (like Wal*mart) so I assume that it is only sold at Dealerships.:shrug: Irish

Jamez
05-08-2015, 11:16 AM
I used to use Valvoline 10w-40 Full Synthetic (just because it was the best option at my local store).

Now I'm using Amsoil Synthetic 10w-40 Scooter Oil

Amsoil vs. Mobil 1
http://www.ultimatesyntheticoil.com/articles/amsoil_vs_mobil1.htm

Amsoil vs. Royal Purple
http://www.enhancedsyntheticoil.com/Royal_Purple_vs_AMSOIL.htm

CrewDog
06-14-2015, 09:35 PM
Does anyone know where I can find custom sports fairings for a GY6 engine on a Chinese 150cc scooter Wildfire, Would also light to change the firing to fit only one headlamp.

urbanista
06-25-2015, 02:37 PM
I go with 10W-40, I believe that's what the manual said. And I use the Castrol brand, for no particular reason other than that I read somewhere that someone used it.

Any suggestions on the relative merits of switching to a different oil for the cold months? Here in DC winter temps may drop below freezing and I've read that a lighter oil is better in colder weather.

This newbie would definitely appreciate your suggestions.

crawford
06-27-2015, 03:13 PM
10w 40 my trike says to use I just change it more often oil is cheep insurance .

urbanista
06-28-2015, 07:35 AM
Thanks

Irish
07-07-2015, 10:35 AM
Has anyone heard of Red Line Oil & accompanying products? I saw it advertised & it seems awfully expensive! I saw it on the JP site & know nothing about it. I have a 2006 Sportster 1200 w/trike kit. It may be just another overpriced Harley oil.:tdown::hmm: Irish

urbanista
07-07-2015, 05:48 PM
Sorry buddy, I'm not familiar with that product.

Hopefully some of the more senior members may be able to help.

rks
07-07-2015, 06:12 PM
I've heard of it. Never used it though. I know they sell it at Jegs, and Summit Racing....and other hotrod supply places. I feel like you.... it's a bit rich for my taste.

Like I said in an earlier post, I've never expierenced a lubrication based failure using conventional oil, and like you I've been at this a long time (bought my first bike in 1965)

If you are determined to use a synthetic, I'd watch the NAPA monthly sales flyer for their NAPA brand to go on sale, it's made by Valvoline, and I know they offer it in a 15W/50. Would be good a good choice in Florida, with your summer heat. But up here, I'll stick with a good ole 15w/40 conventional diesel oil. Run it in my scoot, both BMW's, Cub Cadet, and my tractor.

tromper
07-19-2015, 10:23 PM
Amsoil scooter oil in the Burgman 650 since it has a filter so I run long drain intervals.
Rotella synthetic in the SYM since it's cheaper and I run short drain intervals in the SYM due to lack of filter.
Bikes run at higher revs so tend to beat on oil. It's probably overkill really, but the cost difference isn't that much and overkill is better than not enough. I hate motor work..

Shantyhag
07-20-2015, 05:18 PM
...Now I'm using Amsoil Synthetic 10w-40 Scooter Oil...

I went and read all of the data on the Amsoil... very impressive. Have you been able to dramatically extend the time between oil changes?

Dodgeme
07-27-2015, 04:05 PM
I use the scooter mfg. recommended 15w40 however I use the gasoline/diesel engine compatible royal purple. And I absolutely love the way it runs with it. 5k miles per year. and my engine, cvt, and gearbox are heavily modded. Also its the same oil I run in my 1993 Cummins powered Dodge 1 ton flatbed dually truck, my 1991 Dodge Ramcharger, my garden tractor, my m1009 cucv (just sold it), and my 1969 boss 302 powered 1962 f100 4x4 truck(sold to parents recently). To show how much I like the way the royal purple performed I'll share a few examples of why I like it... when I bought my cummins truck 4 yrs ago it had been run on conventional oil well every time I took the throttle to wot when loaded it would lag horribly before the turbo would spool(turbo had gotten coked over the years). Well for spits and grins I tried out the royal purple within 2 miles the turbo spooled instantaneously when punched wot. After that I bought the Ramcharger and about a yr later it started having problems with the oil pressure bypass valve sticking open dumping all my oil pressure at idle... so I for spits and grins figured hey if it worked for my turbo why not try it here too... well an oil change later and a 30 min drive later no more oil pump pressure bypass sticking... so now I was impessed and intrigued as well I for spits and grins took an old piston I had lying around from an engine I had recently scavenged from the auto salvage yard it had almost a half inch thick layer of carbon on the top of the piston and the rings were glued into the ring lands with carbon, well I dropped it into a quart of 15w 40 royal purple I had just recently drained from my cummins engine well I let it sit overnight... the next morning I looked at a nice shiny piston with piston rings floating freely in their lands. Now I absolutely love the stuff and I've even noticed fuel mileage improvements too.

Dodgeme
07-27-2015, 04:34 PM
I go with 10W-40, I believe that's what the manual said. And I use the Castrol brand, for no particular reason other than that I read somewhere that someone used it.

Any suggestions on the relative merits of switching to a different oil for the cold months? Here in DC winter temps may drop below freezing and I've read that a lighter oil is better in colder weather.

This newbie would definitely appreciate your suggestions.
run the 5w40 in the colder months (if you are expecting sub 32 degree F temps) that 10w40 is actually for temps above 32 degrees F if you get into the temp oil charts. I run the 10w40 in those sub freezing temps because mine runs 15w40 per mfg recommendations, every engine mfg usually has a chart of acceptable oil viscosities vs temps for their engines.

ForCom5
02-20-2016, 10:37 PM
It rarely ever dips below 50 down here in South Florida. So Synthetic 10W40 works just fine for me!

crossbolt
02-27-2016, 12:31 PM
Mobil 0w40.

Karl

blueboy5000
03-11-2016, 06:28 AM
I use exclusively 10w40 Mobil full synthetic motorcycle oil. I even use it for break-in. Some fools have said you can't break an engine in on synthetic, but my engine has 8000 miles on it that say otherwise.

Irish
03-13-2016, 12:46 PM
Just a heads-up! I don't know about scooters that much but when I ran customizing & repair shops in NH , I saw many engines that had WAY more wear than they should have had (for their age) because people ran what was basically an automotive oil in cycles. A motorcycle engine runs with way more heat than an automotive engine is used to. Saving a few $ on the amount of oil that is used isn't worth the cost of an eng. rebuild!:tdown:>: Irish:scoot::nuts:
P.S. My $ .02.

DisillusionedPrepper
12-18-2016, 08:02 PM
I agree with 2 wheeler.
Straight 40wt full synthetic, Royal Purple.

One advantage with full synthetic (if you see this as an advantage) is IF there are any marginal gaskets/seals on your engine, it will leak.
So like the old wive's tale... It is best to use full synthetics from new in any sort of engine. Switching from Dino oil to a synthetic will almost always begin to show leaks after the Synth has had a chance to loosen the sludge deposits that were in effect, sealing your cases.
I live in Florida so 40wt is a better choice for air cooled engines. If I was in colder climates I would switch to a 30wt in colder months.

Irish
12-19-2016, 02:28 PM
I'm about to change the oil & filter in my ride. I have recently read up on Amsoil. It sounds fairly good. I have a 2006 Sportster 1200 with a trike kit (game leg ) They make an oil change kit for mine. It consists of the required amount of 20/50 synthetic & a chrome oil filter. I just wanted to know if anyone has had any trouble with Amsoil! Being from NE , I had never heard of it. It seems very popular (especially with the racers) here in Florida! I bought the bike used at a Harley Dealership , so I don't know what was used in it before. Any negative results would be appreciated. Thanks!:thanks::yay: Irish:scoot::nuts:
P.S. The HD Dealership took it as a trade in on a NEW bike. Naturally they won't give you any information on what was done to the bike! Whoever put the trike kit on did a good job! To the point of overkill! Having owned two Motorcycle Repair shops in NH , that's one of the 1st things that I inspected. You would not believe some of the trikes that I worked on. I didn't really want to Test Ride them.

DisillusionedPrepper
12-19-2016, 05:06 PM
Hi Irish,
As I just stated above, switching to a full synthetic WILL show case leaks if anything is marginal. It may take 1-2-3 hundred miles or so but they will show.

There are several manufactures of Synth. oil that have addressed this on their web sites so this is not just a matter of "my opinion".
On the plus side, if you do not show leaks or if you do, and repair them, you will know that your engine is as clean as it can be as well as being protected.

I am a firm believer in Synth. oils for the advanced wear protection they provide along with the improved mileage, and extended oil change intervals. They do pay for themselves in the long run.

Edit:
Forgot to really answer your question.
Amsoil is one of the top brands in oil. While I have never used it, I do know several people who do, and like any top brand oil... no lubrication related problems.
I think this holds true for any major brand of 4t oil

Irish
02-15-2017, 02:35 PM
Because I've been riding (& buying parts) for so many years maybe I'm living in yesterday , when it comes to prices! I bought four qts of Amsoil (20/50) & a filter yesterday at a motorcycle repair shop & I could not believe the price! I wanted to try Amsoil but it must be liquid gold! Of course in NH I knew where to go for everything & here in Florida , it's like starting all over again. You don't know who to trust or who to do business with.:s:shrug: Irish:scoot::nuts:

Irish
04-03-2017, 02:47 PM
This is not a recommendation! There has been an add on TV in which Mobil One has an oil that you only change once a year!:tdown: Irish:scoot::nuts:

Old Man
05-25-2017, 12:07 AM
10-30 Mobil 1 here. Seems to do alright. No leaks. 75-90 valvoline syn in the tranny.

bandito2
05-25-2017, 12:27 AM
This is not a recommendation! There has been an add on TV in which Mobil One has an oil that you only change once a year!:tdown: Irish:scoot::nuts:
Snake oil? Oil change once a year might not be so bad... if you don't ride very many miles during that time IMO. For a car with a filter that can actually keep tiny bits of bad stuff out of the oil flow is one thing; a little machine that maybe only has a SS screen to filter crud out (and barely effective at that!) is something completely different. From what I gather, cheap oil (as long as it meets or exceeds the bike's requirements and gets changed often enough) should be OK. What seems important is that the oil not be too contaminated or broken down to the point of not being able to provide proper lubrication.

BTW Old Man, I use 10-30 Mobil 1 and Valvoline 75-90 synthetic in the final drive gear box of my Honda Reflex 250 too.

Hey, where in Michigan are you?

Old Man
05-25-2017, 12:32 AM
I'm about to change the oil & filter in my ride. I have recently read up on Amsoil. It sounds fairly good. I have a 2006 Sportster 1200 with a trike kit (game leg ) They make an oil change kit for mine. It consists of the required amount of 20/50 synthetic & a chrome oil filter. I just wanted to know if anyone has had any trouble with Amsoil! Being from NE , I had never heard of it. It seems very popular (especially with the racers) here in Florida! I bought the bike used at a Harley Dealership , so I don't know what was used in it before. Any negative results would be appreciated. Thanks!:thanks::yay: Irish:scoot::nuts:
P.S. The HD Dealership took it as a trade in on a NEW bike. Naturally they won't give you any information on what was done to the bike! Whoever put the trike kit on did a good job! To the point of overkill! Having owned two Motorcycle Repair shops in NH , that's one of the 1st things that I inspected. You would not believe some of the trikes that I worked on. I didn't really want to Test Ride them.I ran 20-50 amzoil in tranny and crank in my 09 1200 Sportster and it never had a problem. I started with Amzoil after 500 mile break in and ran it till I sold it with 14k.

Old Man
05-25-2017, 09:15 AM
Snake oil? Oil change once a year might not be so bad... if you don't ride very many miles during that time IMO. For a car with a filter that can actually keep tiny bits of bad stuff out of the oil flow is one thing; a little machine that maybe only has a SS screen to filter crud out (and barely effective at that!) is something completely different. From what I gather, cheap oil (as long as it meets or exceeds the bike's requirements and gets changed often enough) should be OK. What seems important is that the oil not be too contaminated or broken down to the point of not being able to provide proper lubrication.

BTW Old Man, I use 10-30 Mobil 1 and Valvoline 75-90 synthetic in the final drive gear box of my Honda Reflex 250 too.

Hey, where in Michigan are you?grand Rapids

Irish
06-06-2017, 12:19 PM
I recently changed the engine oil to 20/50 Amsoil & so far NO problems!:tup::clap: Irish:scoot::nuts:

crawford
07-11-2017, 11:46 AM
Amsoil 10-14 metric

XenoMorphicRex
07-21-2017, 12:10 AM
What name brand of oil do you use, and what weight? Just curious..
I use Castrol 10-40.
I use Royal Purple 10W 40 Full Synthetic in my 2008 CF Moto Fashion 250. Have never run better since the switch.

XenoMorphicRex
07-21-2017, 01:12 AM
Right on man, Love the Signature.

XenoMorphicRex
07-21-2017, 01:15 AM
I live in Oklahoma, which very warm, and I use Royal Purple 10w 40.

XenoMorphicRex
07-21-2017, 01:18 AM
Amen to that.

XenoMorphicRex
07-21-2017, 01:23 AM
Before I went on a trip last wednesday, I changed to Royal Purple.
Royal Purple For the Win!

crawford
07-21-2017, 11:45 AM
asmoil 10-40 metric works great on all my Ice Bear Zodiac's 3 total 300cc water cooled with Evans water less coolant. Best of all worlds never change it runs cooler.

Scootergrandma
09-03-2017, 11:49 AM
I see a lot of people use 10-40. The pinned PDI post on this site says to use 10-30. So I am confused. We just got scooters again after 2 years of not having any (3 years for hubby, 2 years for me). We used to use special oil for scooters that we got from our local scooter shop & were told to never use synthetic oil in scooters. Has that changed? Any help you folks could give us would be awesome. Thanks in advance!

crawford
09-07-2017, 10:14 PM
I guess you use what company calls four in my case Ice Bear call for 10 w 40 w but then I use Amsoil metric I go over Bord a little. I pay a little more but then I do put on more miles then most do.

rks
09-20-2018, 05:43 AM
I haven't posted on this thread in over 3 years. Just wanted to say that my scooter crossed the 15,000 mile mark yesterday, and is still running like new, shows no signs of wearing out. My oil changes cost $1.70 or less to do. Believe you synthetic fans might be wasting your money......but then again, it's yours to do with as you please.

https://i.postimg.cc/xqbYPQQ5/IMG_20180919_115106723.jpg (https://postimg.cc/xqbYPQQ5)

kz1000st
09-22-2018, 12:56 PM
I tend to agree with you on that in this sense. Synthetic oil has the beef to last longer etween changes than Conventional oil. It seems a waste to me to spend the extra money if you change oil frequently. The synthetic additives aren't even breathing hard by then. Jeez, I had a Toyota that recommended oil changes every five thousand with 10W-20 with conventional oil. Synthetic is great stuff but it should be changed less than the less expensive stuff.

RoofTopPigeon
11-25-2018, 03:47 AM
https://scontent.fdet1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.15752-9/46799516_322406698488329_2911045420668944384_n.jpg ?_nc_cat=109&_nc_ht=scontent.fdet1-2.fna&oh=e224f115d82993d83c5cb45caac6deb9&oe=5CA632F0

I ride a 2014 (50cc) Tao Tao atm50a1
I Usually Run
Mobil-1 Full-Synthetic 10w-40 (4T) Oil.
But I'm Thinking about Switching to Castrol;
Because they JUST came out with an 5w-40 (4T) Oil
Since I do Live in Michigan and I do ride in the winter
I'm Planning on maybe running that and doing
Winter = Castrol 5w-40 (4T) Oil
Summer = Castrol 10w-40 (4T) Oil
*Has This Might Provide me MUCH easier winter starting.
LASTLY; FULL-Synthetic is the ONLY Thing I Run in "Air-Cooled" Engines!

JohnnySmokzAlot
01-20-2021, 02:03 AM
Mobil full synthetic 10-40

kantnow
08-30-2021, 11:18 AM
Only AMSOIL. There is no other viable brand compared to them. 30+ years of experience using this brand. I have it in all my collector cars too!