PDA

View Full Version : Do you only drive your scooter?

yayforscooters
05-07-2014, 02:00 PM
Do you drive your scooter 100% of the time or do you also drive another vehicle?

Right now, I only drive my scooter, even if it is raining. Of course, I try to wait until the rain has calmed down some if I can, haha.

inuyasha
05-07-2014, 02:12 PM
Hi
Mostly its one of my motorbikes rain or shine
But if I'm with her in doors or my grandkids or any passengers its one of the autos
Take care and ride safely
Yours Hank

ventoman
05-07-2014, 02:43 PM
I ride mine every day. I do not like driving a car at all. I only drive a car for long trips and even then I try to get my wife to drive instead of me.

ng5y
05-07-2014, 03:23 PM
I am the only one who rides the scooter. More often than not it's the scooter or bust. I do share a 2012 Kia Soul with my wife.

cheapeto
05-08-2014, 07:02 AM
It's either my Tundra or the scooter, since it's about $75.00 to fill the Tundra, it sits as much as possible now.
Well until I scrap enough junk metal for my Elio, next year.

Houndguy
05-08-2014, 10:27 AM
About a year ago I was riding my scoot everywhere to do nearly everything. Now, do to circumstances beyond my control, I'm not allowed to ride. Hopefully we can clear that up soon and I can get back on the road.

inuyasha
05-08-2014, 11:18 AM
About a year ago I was riding my scoot everywhere to do nearly everything. Now, do to circumstances beyond my control, I'm not allowed to ride. Hopefully we can clear that up soon and I can get back on the road.

Hi
Oh no so sorry to hear that
You have have my best wishes and prayers that things work out
Take care my friend
Yours Hank

scootnwinn
05-08-2014, 11:37 AM
I ride mine daily. I hate driving cars. I too let the old lady drive when we go places on the weekends.

dwint51
05-08-2014, 12:37 PM
im lucky im in n.c cause I cant get my license back and we don't need one here 50cc

dwint51
05-08-2014, 12:39 PM
mine rides to stiff,i wish it had a rear adjustment on the shock

inuyasha
05-08-2014, 01:16 PM
im lucky im in n.c cause I cant get my license back and we don't need one here 50cc

Hi
I'm sorry to say that may change soon
http://www.starnewsonline.com/article/20130208/ARTICLES/130209612
As time goes by many states are reviewing their old scoot laws and changing them
Take care and ride safely
Yours Hank

scootnwinn
05-08-2014, 03:11 PM
Hi
I'm sorry to say that may change soon

Hank why are you sorry? I think it's good that people are required to be licensed to run a motor vehicle on the same road that I am on. I assume/hope that everyone out there is licensed, educated, and capable of responsibly operating the machines that are near me. I am generally an anti-government intrusion kind of guy but traffic laws just make sense. Beyond that if you have lost your license because you have shown your inability to operate a vehicle responsibly or for any other reason (like nonpayment of child support) then you deserve that and shouldn't be able to skirt the law by using a scooter. We wouldn't like the idea of anyone infringing on our rights to the road as a two-wheeled machine (cutting us off or crowding our lane) so we should respect the law as well. Beyond that since the majority of accidents involving motorcycles happen due to rider error, a thorough licensing and educational system is fine by me I like riders and wish them all a long life. Any way sorry to be contrary and thread jack this thread with a tangent but it is what it is.

inuyasha
05-08-2014, 03:24 PM
Hank why are you sorry? I think it's good that people are required to be licensed to run a motor vehicle on the same road that I am on. I assume/hope that everyone out there is licensed, educated, and capable of responsibly operating the machines that are near me. I am generally an anti-government intrusion kind of guy but traffic laws just make sense. Beyond that if you have lost your license because you have shown your inability to operate a vehicle responsibly or for any other reason (like nonpayment of child support) then you deserve that and shouldn't be able to skirt the law by using a scooter. We wouldn't like the idea of anyone infringing on our rights to the road as a two-wheeled machine (cutting us off or crowding our lane) so we should respect the law as well. Beyond that since the majority of accidents involving motorcycles happen due to rider error, a thorough licensing and educational system is fine by me I like riders and wish them all a long life. Any way sorry to be contrary and thread jack this thread with a tangent but it is what it is.
Hi Rob
I should have worded that differently
Don't get me wrong as I agree with all you've said
I was just trying to convey understanding and courtesy to the member of that post for being the bearer of bad news as it shall impact him and he shall not be able to ride any more unless he can get his license reinstated
To the OP my apologies as well for the highjack
Take care and ride safely dear friend
Yours Hank

Amy
05-11-2014, 10:03 PM
I do most of the time, but I also own a car. When it is raining and in the winter I drive my car, but I prefer my scooter.

Houndguy
05-12-2014, 09:37 AM
Well the docs have finally released me and I should be able to ride every day moving forward. I just got to get used to it again after being off the bike for so many months.

scootnwinn
05-12-2014, 01:04 PM
Sorry, perhaps another tangent. You do not "drive" a motor bike. I was looking at the thread title here and it dawned on my that it should say "ride" and not drive. Just like you drive a team of horses on a wagon or ride a horse. You drive a car and ride a motorcycle/scooter. I you are driving your scooter you are doing wrong. Ok rant over.

05zuma
05-12-2014, 07:53 PM
I ride my Zuma to work because I don't have my license yet then it will prolly sit unless my truck breaks down which is pretty unlikely

Houndguy
05-13-2014, 09:42 PM
I ride my Zuma to work because I don't have my license yet then it will prolly sit unless my truck breaks down which is pretty unlikely

So...you would rather drive your truck which gets what...18 MPG? Your Zuma gets at least 80 MPG. So your saving money there.

I just don't see your point. :shrug:

kz1000st
05-14-2014, 09:27 AM
Some people view two wheeled transport as toys. Many view them as a vital transportation link. Here's my situation. All my two wheeled stuff gets 70 mpg or better. My minivan gets 18 to 23. I can either burn $8.00 on a round trip to work in the car or $2.00 on the bike. If I get to ride 60 or 70 times a season I'm saving a goodly amount of cash. I also have the opportunity to use them for grocery runs and errands. Take last year. I put 5,000 miles on the equipment. I would have burned $1025 worth of gas in the car. Instead I burned $278. That's not to mention the wear and tear on the car. Multiply that $748 over time. Oh, and cars don't generally make you smile either when you use them.

Winters here are too severe to ride everyday but I ride when I can. Or if I have to.
I had to take my gloves off to do this so that's why the camera is shaking. My car was in the shop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0dS2uONChk

Cyborg
05-14-2014, 08:17 PM
i ride 90% of the time,,,and i love it and the fact i save a ton o dough doing it is a side perk!! PLUS there are no traffic jams on a bike,,,, triple bargain

Bvance554
05-14-2014, 11:55 PM
I wish I could ride nothing but my scooter. I have a 40 mile one way trip to work which is a bit much. I have done it. Last time my Subaru was in the shop. But its too long to do every day, and hard on the rear end. But if I have to go any where near home, I prefer to always ride the scooter.

Gimpdog
05-15-2014, 11:27 AM
Some people view two wheeled transport as toys. Many view them as a vital transportation link. Here's my situation. All my two wheeled stuff gets 70 mpg or better. My minivan gets 18 to 23. I can either burn $8.00 on a round trip to work in the car or $2.00 on the bike. If I get to ride 60 or 70 times a season I'm saving a goodly amount of cash. I also have the opportunity to use them for grocery runs and errands. Take last year. I put 5,000 miles on the equipment. I would have burned $1025 worth of gas in the car. Instead I burned $278. That's not to mention the wear and tear on the car. Multiply that $748 over time. Oh, and cars don't generally make you smile either when you use them.

Winters here are too severe to ride everyday but I ride when I can. Or if I have to.
I had to take my gloves off to do this so that's why the camera is shaking. My car was in the shop.

15 degrees?!? 27 was my limit on riding because of the chance of black ice. But the roads look very dry in your vid, KZ. Ride on!
Gimpdog

PS-- has it started to warm up there, yet? LOL

kz1000st
05-15-2014, 02:33 PM
It started warming up at around the beginning of May. It's 72 degrees right now and we've had six straight days of sun and warm. Of course we're about to pay for it with four days of rain and temps in the 60s after that.

bnc
05-15-2014, 06:31 PM
I ride whenever I can but I also have a car and a SUV which gets 16 mpg vs 69 mpg for the Honda Reflex. I use the car when I want to take my dog somewhere. I sometimes wonder if I can get an old seat and cut off the rear portion of it so the Reflex trunk is exposed so she can sit behind me and down low so the center of gravity doesn't change so much.

thumper650
05-15-2014, 09:18 PM
I drive my scooter to work almost every day. It lets me use the bike lane through traffic, and gets me free parking. Ocassionally I'll ride my truck to work, but only if I'm going far away in bad weather afterwards.

Irish
07-15-2015, 12:13 PM

If you burn $8.00 round trip in your car , you should either get a job close to home or tune your engine! (I hope that you were exaggerating!):doh::bs: Irish

kz1000st
07-15-2015, 05:24 PM
At the time I wrote that gas was close to $4.00 a gallon. Because of the hills here the minivan drops down a gear or two on the pair of 800 foot climbs on the way to work. On a reasonable level highway run it got 24 mpg but going to work with the hills it would get 17 to 18 mpg.

Modene
07-15-2015, 08:05 PM
My only transportation Yamaha SMax 155cc

cheapeto
07-16-2015, 08:03 AM
Since I stared scooting, I dont drive my Tundra nearly as much, so at inspection time, I get a nice waiver from the emissions testing folks that I did NOT drive enough miles to be charged for the test. Not a biggie, but a plus.

Modene
07-16-2015, 11:57 AM
My only transportation is a 2015 Yamaha SMax. Use it for all my needs. In case of emergency or bad weather I live with someone that does own a 4 wheel cage.

Modene
07-16-2015, 12:06 PM
My Scoot is my only transportation, use it for all my needs. I live with a person that does have a truck in case of emergency or bad weather. Planning a 400 mile trip for stretching my scooter legs soon as it cools down here in the South.