PDA

View Full Version : Scooter Sales Down...Maybe

kz1000st
05-02-2014, 05:19 PM
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/2/18375/Motorcycle-Article/2014-Q1-Motorcycle-Sales-Stagnate-YOY.aspx

My theory. Scooters are out there in ever increasing numbers. I'm thinking that since neither SYM, Kymco or any of the Chinese companies are members of MIC, brand names aren't the most important thing to people any more. Just usability.

wheelbender6
05-03-2014, 01:31 PM
Gas prices have been pretty stable. A spike in gas prices stimulates scooter sales. It's tougher to attract scooter buyers when energy prices are stable.

Bvance554
05-06-2014, 12:18 AM
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/2/18375/Motorcycle-Article/2014-Q1-Motorcycle-Sales-Stagnate-YOY.aspx

My theory. Scooters are out there in ever increasing numbers. I'm thinking that since neither SYM, Kymco or any of the Chinese companies are members of MIC, brand names aren't the most important thing to people any more. Just usability.

I would agree with that. Scooter sales have been up over the past few years and as a result the market has become a little saturated because there are only so many people in the market or interested in riding one. Fuel prices too. Let gas increase another $1 a gallon and you'll see more people interested in riding a scooter and sales will again increase. But i think it is just a little plateau in sales.

Gimpdog
05-07-2014, 10:44 AM
I think so, also. People are beginning to see that the clone scoots are getting better. While the prices went up a little, these scoots still cost quite a bit less than the brand name scoots.

kz1000st
05-07-2014, 05:02 PM
I'll tell you, I don't need gas to rise any further. My minivan holds twenty gallons. Fill ups are costing me $60. The other day I filled my wife's Scion for a mere $40. I might ride in colder worse weather if it gets to $5.00 a gallon.

I scour the web quite a bit. Many of the online sellers are selling out different Chinese models in their selection. I would really love to see a site with scooter registrations nationally but that's not even reliable since many states call them "Motorcycles" on paper.