PDA

View Full Version : DC/VA rider, no title on scooter

takadi
05-01-2014, 09:28 PM
I bought a junked broken chinese 150 cc scooter for about 400 bucks on craigslist about three years ago. Spent lots time researching about scooters being a complete noob back then, spent lots of money on parts and mods. Fun times. I was able to get it to work beautifully and rode it for a summer with no license, no title no nothing, it was one of the best times I've had. I was completely ignorant back then and also didn't realize you needed titles. Never got caught or even had a cop look at me funny, so I didn't realize I did anything wrong. The guy who I bought it from just drove it to my house for free, no questions asked. I don't even have proof of purchase anymore, since the majority of the transaction took place over text messaging on a phone that I lost. I thought I made it off big time.

After the summer the scooter ran into a number of problems being a cheap chinese bike...rubber parts busting open, caps breaking, things getting loose, tires going flat, just everything ...there were no scooter mechanics around my area, I could only do so much being a beginner... life happened, and the scooter basically sat outside for three years in the most horrific weather, had a cover for a year and half but that was torn to shreds so it was basically naked outside for the rest.

Decided earlier this year to either trash it or fix it up. I had already invested so much into it 3 years ago trying to fix it and mod it up and I decided to try to find someone to make it brand new again to ride. There was emotional investment in this bike too so I was attached to it. Finally was able to find some guy, and the scooter was in terrible shape...final bill was 500 bucks for parts and labor and now it works again. I was so happy

Bad part is that now upon research I realized that a law passed last year where basically anything that goes over 35 mph is considered a motorcycle and requires insurance, motorcycle license, registration, the works. This will be virtually impossible for me since I have no way to contacting that guy I bought it from. I did remember messaging him about a few months after the purchase asking about a title and he said that he actually got this scooter from another guy without a title and rode it on the road for years without incident. This thing could have been passed along for who knows how far or long. I don't even know if a cheapo chinese scooter like this even comes with a title.

Now I have no clue what to do. Take the risk and just ride and hope I don't get pulled over or ticketed while parked? It hasn't happened so far but cop activity in my area has ramped up 10 fold in the last two years and it feels scary riding now. Now I'm pissed because I feel like I just took all my hard earned money and threw it in the trash. I've read that the process of getting a new title could even cost more than what I bought my scooter for in the first place.

I know I will get the whole "I told you so" line, and the whole "never buy a titleless vehicle" thing. It's already been three years. The deed has already been done. The money has been paid out. I have a scooter just begging to be rode in this beautiful weather. Does anyone have any advice or am I asking too much?

takadi
05-01-2014, 09:55 PM
Okay so I found a VIN number behind the front part of the bike. You have to lift up some rectangle lid to find it on the steering shaft. Checked the vin on this site https://www.nicb.org/theft_and_fraud_awareness/vincheck/vincheck

and it came back negative for being stolen. I'm not sure how accurate that is though. I want to check the vin with the police but I'm scared to death that if there is a slight chance it does end up being stolen, I could lose 1500-2000 dollars worth of stuff. Might not seem like a big deal, but I struggle with money and it's the reason I bought this thing (which seems ironic considering I blew so much on fixing it).

Say I go to the police and they run the vin and nothing shows up, is it possible to get it registered with the dmv with this vin number and get a brand new title?

Cubby1331
05-01-2014, 10:20 PM
In Michigan you can apply for a new title if you don't have/lost the title. They call it a duplicate title. I'm sure your local DMV would be able to help you out. You can even check their website and see what you would need to bring to get the paper work rolling. Also you might have to pay tax. Other than that you would need to show proof of
Insurance to get the scoot registered. I wish you luck

Gimpdog
05-01-2014, 10:27 PM
Look at this link from VA DMV for reconstructed vehicles and see if they can get the process going...

http://www.dmv.state.va.us/vehicles/#reconstructed.html

inuyasha
05-01-2014, 11:23 PM
Hi
Welcome aboard
Pleased to meet you though i wish the circumstances were better, so sorry to hear of your predicament
The others have given you good advice and i shall add you should look into getting your motorcycle endorsment as any thing over 50 ccs is considered a motorcycle in every state in the usa
An msf course is a great way to get one and the lessons learned will be of great help when riding
http://www.msf-usa
You have my best wishes that you get this settled swiftly easily and to your satisfaction
Take care and ride safely
Yours Hank

takadi
05-02-2014, 12:22 AM
Thanks for the welcome! I've actually been a scootdawg member since early 2011 but for some reason the forums changed. You guys were the sole resource I had for fixing up my scooter.

The new scooter laws are kinda ridiculous now. Va went from being one of the most relaxed states in terms of scooter laws to really strict like its neighbors DC and MD. All scooters will now require registration and license, and since my scooter is a 150cc and therefore goes over 35 mph, it is considered a motorcycle (which is hilarious considering its top speed is 50), which means I have to get a motorcycle license and insurance. This and the money I've spent in repairs and parts is completely defeating the purpose of why I bought this scooter in the first place and frankly it is frustrating to no end. Just when I get my scooter repaired after three years, this BS law comes into play no sooner than two or three months from now.

cheapeto
05-02-2014, 03:06 PM
When I bought my scooter, from Maine, it came with no title. In Maine, anything under 300cc's is/was not required to be titled.

It did cost me $350.00 generate a title/tags and registration here in PA.

I'd get it titled, and registared as getting caught could be way more expensive, IMHO.

Good luck.

kz1000st
05-03-2014, 11:33 AM
Two years ago I had a Yamaha with no title. In short, I paid $425 to get it titled. There are companies on the web that specialize in that.

wheelbender6
05-03-2014, 01:21 PM
In Texas, you can apply for a "Bonded title". I did that to register a 1969 Honda S90 here. You post a surety bond against the title and then the state allows you to register the bike. See if the commonwealth grants bonded titles.

Bvance554
05-06-2014, 12:23 AM
ALL scooters in VA now require registration and licensing? Looks like I'm riding dirty on my 50cc. I've never had a cop bat an eye at me in VA. Last summer I had a cop pull up beside me at a red light and nod, before he sped away.

inuyasha
05-06-2014, 01:09 AM
ALL scooters in VA now require registration and licensing? Looks like I'm riding dirty on my 50cc. I've never had a cop bat an eye at me in VA. Last summer I had a cop pull up beside me at a red light and nod, before he sped away.

Hi
I wish you well but now that the laws have been changed wouldnt it be better to follow the laws of your state then to risk the repercussions of getting stopped and ticketed for riding an uninsured unregistered motor vehicle
Yours Hank

Bvance554
05-07-2014, 11:10 PM
Hi
I wish you well but now that the laws have been changed wouldnt it be better to follow the laws of your state then to risk the repercussions of getting stopped and ticketed for riding an uninsured unregistered motor vehicle
Yours Hank

I did not say that I intended to ignore the law and ride illegally. Only that I was unaware of the change, and apparently the cops are too, or they're just not enforcing the law. I will research it myself.

inuyasha
05-08-2014, 02:27 AM
I did not say that I intended to ignore the law and ride illegally. Only that I was unaware of the change, and apparently the cops are too, or they're just not enforcing the law. I will research it myself.

Hi
I was only looking out for a fellow member
Would hate to see any one run into any trouble
Yours Hank

takadi
05-08-2014, 07:39 PM

I'm no expert but I believe 50 ccs will need title, registration, and license plate. You also need a helmet, eye gear, and photo ID on you while riding. You don't need an M class license, insurance, or inspection.

Anything above 50 cc is considered a motorcycle, which I think is the biggest load of BS. How a vehicle that can barely ride on the freeways be considered a motorcycle is beyond me. Getting cheap scooters over 50cc will no longer be worth it anymore