PDA

View Full Version : Daughter wants a scooter for highway driving

mamascoot
04-18-2014, 12:57 PM
My son has talked my daughter into buying a scooter. They live 40 minutes out of the city and she drives to work in the city everyday. She wants something for summer driving. For 20 of the 30 minutes she is on a long stretch of road, so she needs a scooter that will do highway driving. Any recommendations on a scooter that will put up with that much driving?

Gimpdog
04-18-2014, 04:42 PM
Personally, I would not get anything less than 250cc for highway use. I've read that at 60 inches in length and 13 inch wheels is best. If she's not mechanically inclined, stay with name brands, where she'd be able to find more mechanics willing to work on the scoot. There's a place called ScooterDivas online that she may want to look at for suggestions...

scooter
04-18-2014, 09:13 PM
What Gimp said. No way my 150 would do it. Check out my thread just below yours. Some advice from Sr. Scooter folks. Not sure about up there, but here you can find 10 year old 400 for a decent deal. Most the folks on my similar question said 250 would do it, but 400 is better.

Frank Castle
04-19-2014, 01:56 AM
if you want to go on a highway go with a Motorcycle, scoots are good for local streets only and for the price of a 250cc you might as well get a motorcycle

mamascoot
04-19-2014, 06:52 AM
Personally, I would not get anything less than 250cc for highway use. I've read that at 60 inches in length and 13 inch wheels is best. If she's not mechanically inclined, stay with name brands, where she'd be able to find more mechanics willing to work on the scoot. There's a place called ScooterDivas online that she may want to look at for suggestions...

She's not mechanically inclined and I never thought about that, thanks for the tip Gimpdog. I'll tell her about ScooterDivas online I'm sure she'll find the site interesting.

inuyasha
04-19-2014, 01:12 PM
Hi
300 ccs or higher for a scoot capable of highway speeds check out this site for good reviews on scoots
http://motorscooterguide.net
Has she ridden before if not i recomend an MSF course
http://msf-usa.org/#&panel1-1
Make sure she rides ATGATT
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=O2Wmi6KdPHw
And heres a link to scooter divas
http://www.scooterdiva.com
Take care and ride safely
Yours Hank

cheapeto
04-20-2014, 10:32 AM
IMHO, if it was my daughter, I'd be seeking a used brand name, 250cc or better.
I did a quick search http://www.cycletrader.com/Honda-Helix-Motorcycles----CycleTrader.com/search-results?make=Honda%7C2316874&model=Helix&vrsn=hybrid
many are priced well, and dont be fearful of a Honda with 20,000 miles on it.
The parts are easy to get, a set of new rollers and belt, are cheap, new tires are fairly cheap.
My Honda BR, will hold 65mph and will get into the 70's range, so theres plenty of power for highway use.
IF you live in a hilly area, consider any brands of the 400cc scooters. Light weight and agile, with way more power, even if she dont use it, she has it at the crack of the throttle.
Best wishes to you both.

Gimpdog
04-20-2014, 08:19 PM
ScooterDiva's forum is down right now. Don't know why...

But you have a good start with all these good suggestions, especially the MSF course...

tpdavis
04-22-2014, 04:12 PM
If she will be riding in commute traffic with semi-tractor trailers, if there are any hills, if there is any cross wind--THEN make sure the dry weight of the scooter is at LEAST 420 pounds. My 375 pound 250cc is very scary at freeway speeds because of side winds, being passed by semi-s and slowing going up hills. If money is no object, get a maxi-scooter and pay for more gasoline.

cpete1
08-01-2014, 07:52 AM
Kymco Downtown 300...Just test drove one at Americade this past june, more than capable of going over 70mph+. The factory rep said they drove theirs from South Carolina to Texas, (1500 miles, no problem). Only drawback was limited leg room due to a forward style seat. The bike had additional power even after 70 mph to pull out of harms way should you need to. I currently have an 1100cc cruiser and a cf moto fashion 250, been riding bikes since 02. Good Luck
Chris

Houndguy
08-01-2014, 03:37 PM
It's best that your daughter take a motorcycle safety course and get proper gear! Even if your state does not require it - ALWAYS WEAR A HELMET!!!

I ride the highway everyday to work (35 miles 1 way) and found that my Kymco 500 does a fine job. Good storage as well. It's heavy enough to be stable getting passed, powerful enough to maintain highway speeds without issue and big enough where you will not be "sitting to low" in traffic. It's pretty solid and easy to work on as well if needed.

Suzuki makes a similar model called the Burgman 400 that should suit her needs. They are also a pretty common bike so you should be able to pick on up cheap.

tromper
08-09-2014, 03:40 AM
I'll go with the same caveats about helmets, & the MSF course.
Chinese Scoots: Cheap, but you get what you pay for. Review all the maintenance, & repair sections & see how much of that is devoted to these. If you can turn a wrench you'll do fine. I really don't recommend them if you can't.

Noting "Caveat Emport" on all scoots, especially used & that you should test ride them.
The scoots that bump to mind are:
Suzuki Burgman 400 2007+ on these for easier maintenance. Really sounds like a good choice for this.
Yamaha Majesty, there's a cut year on those too, but I don't know it off the top of my head. Pretty similar to the burger, but a bit higher seat, & not quite as well regarded.
Piaggio BV350. Pretty much new only around here. I test rode one, got it up to 55 no issues, & 'nuff throttle left to know it'd cruise the freeway. Big wheels, nicely thought out & finished. It's a bit high in the seat, but it's on my short list of scoots I may buy soon.

----Big Heavy Highway Scoots, really think twice before getting one- Lower MPG, fast (100 mph+) and heavy.
Honda Silverwing - widely available used. A bit heavy. Handles freeway no issues.
Suzuki Burgman 650. Serious overkill, & heavy. It'd do it no questions asked, just check the burgmanusa forums for it's quirks. Make sure it's 2006+ (late 05's OK, but early ones are not)

Taiwanese scoots - If you have a local dealer these are great, & well priced
Kymco:
Kymco 500 - If you have a good dealer in the area. There are some used ones.
Kymco GT 300I, & Downtown 300i. Haven't ridden either yet but on my list..
Kymco Myroad 700I - Big Heavy, fast, & expensive. Frankly I'd just get the Burgman 650 if you want something this big.

SYM - Same as Kymco. Make sure you have a local dealer. Good scoots
HD200 - A bit marginal for freeway IMHO. tops about 70, but water cooled. I've made long runs on mine no issues, & I'm a mite heavier than your daughter I suspect.
Citycom 300I. A bit more oomph, & reviews state it's a reasonable freeway machine on a budget. I haven't ridden one, but it's on the list of the ones I plan to try soonish.

Justgottascoot.com has some good reviews for most of these.

kz1000st
08-09-2014, 05:44 PM
This thread started four months ago. Does anybody know how this turned out or did the daughter just buy a Chevy Spark or a Prius?

BTW, my 55 year old School Teacher of a wife rides a Honda Rebel. Bulletproof, 68 mpg and easily interstate compatible.