PDA

View Full Version : Is a CDI really worth buying? Which brand?

Robbro19
04-18-2014, 08:17 AM
I know I need a DC CDI 6 pin but unsure if I should get one...

inuyasha
04-18-2014, 09:38 AM
Hi
If youir present one is working fine i would have to say no you dont need one
So called "perfromance cdis are snake oil.
Ifr your having problems with the cdi then replace it if not leave it as is imho
Take care and ride safely my friend
Yours Hank

Frank Castle
04-18-2014, 10:38 AM
some stock cdi's are restricted, i upgraded mine with a NCY, works awesome, got more power too.

RetroBrian
04-20-2014, 12:36 PM
I bought one. Haven't really noticed any difference

Rxguy667
04-23-2014, 06:57 PM
I can personally say the NCY CDI works great, I installed one on my buddies scoot and I could SEE the difference in his power gain just watching him leave my driveway, seen him leave a bunch and after the CDI it was a very noticeable change. I plan to buy another for mine when I get the extra cash, the NCY is a bit pricey, but you get what you pay for!

extremepowdercoaters
04-24-2014, 10:09 PM
cdi do help i have tried many cdi to just test. I have found that the $10 ebay orange box cdi performs just like the $35 ncy. I did find the the $10 blue anodized racing cdi on ebay performs better than the ncy cdi and the orange box. throttle response seem to be a little more crisp and a bit more top end. i think it has a more aggressive timing curve. only thing i suggest doing with the blue cdi is epoxy the wire straight going into the plug. they tend to move around a lot and can make your bike run bad if the pins do not go in your harness straight and correct.

Robbro19
05-07-2014, 08:07 AM
thanks for the input fellas

Rhompin45
05-07-2014, 04:24 PM
This is what I was looking for. I want to get a new cdi coil and rollers just to have on hand since they are common to go out and I have been courious if the performance ones are worth the extra money. It seems that some people see benifit and some don't. I have heard after a certain year scooter they are about the same as a performance one. I was planning on getting the better rollers.

inuyasha
05-07-2014, 04:30 PM
This is what I was looking for. I want to get a new cdi coil and rollers just to have on hand since they are common to go out and I have been courious if the performance ones are worth the extra money. It seems that some people see benifit and some don't. I have heard after a certain year scooter they are about the same as a performance one. I was planning on getting the better rollers.
Hi
I would go with sliders then its what I use in all my scoots
They last longer give better acceleration and a higher top end
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yxcQGmT8EJc
Take care and ride safely
Yours Hank

Rhompin45
05-07-2014, 07:50 PM
Cool thanks. I just need to pull my variator off and weigh mine so I have a starting point

twowheeler
05-07-2014, 10:37 PM
Snake oil. Same with the coils.

Cubby1331
05-07-2014, 11:45 PM
Doesn't hurt having a spare. Never know when you would need it

inuyasha
05-08-2014, 02:13 AM
Snake oil. Same with the coils.
Hi
Have you tried them and are speaking from experience?
As your very wrong all of the claims for sliders are indeed true
I've used them in 4 different scoots that I've modded to be very fast and and I stand by my statement
There are many others that use them also and will back this up as well
Yours Hank

Rhompin45
05-08-2014, 05:46 PM
I have never heard the expression snake oil before... I'm now guessing its a bad thing... Sorry off topic. Maybe he was saying it for the cdi instead of the sliders?

inuyasha
05-08-2014, 06:27 PM
I have never heard the expression snake oil before... I'm now guessing its a bad thing... Sorry off topic. Maybe he was saying it for the cdi instead of the sliders?

Hi
Snake oil reffers to the old traveling barkers from the old west selling cures and potions hence the term snake oil that were mainly useless and mostly alcohol that didn't cure anything but did get you drunk enough to forget your ailments for a while at least
Yours Hank

gitsum
05-10-2014, 12:07 AM
In most cases slider weights give a slight boost in acceleration and a few extra miles top end.

They definitely wear much slower than roller weights.