PDA

View Full Version : virtual rally anyone?

Houndguy
04-16-2014, 09:51 AM
I was thinking it might be fun to have a virtual rally. We earn points for getting pictures of our scooters at various locations.

For example? Well we might earn 2 points for getting a photo of our scooter in front of city hall. But we earn 10 points for getting a picture of our scooter in front of a national landmark.

We can pick a time period, create some rally cards and go from there. I know that some of us are in the US, others in Canada and a few more in the Philippines...so we would have to pick things that are unusual but common enough for all.

Also since many of us ride smaller cc bikes we have to take distance into consideration as well.

Challenging....yes. Fun....possibly. :nuts:....yes.

So what you think? Winner gets an all expenses paid trip to Las Vegas, New Mexico (Houndguy and Scoot Dawg forums want to make perfectly clear that the trip is not an actual prize).

Ideas?

Gimpdog
04-18-2014, 05:26 PM
Sounds like fun!!!

mamascoot
04-19-2014, 07:25 AM
That would be interesting and fun! It would interesting to see what crazy locations some people would post their scooters at. For Canadian members would the landmarks have to be recognizable to American members? How many Canadian landmarks are Americans familiar with?

Gimpdog
04-19-2014, 09:36 AM
That would be your job to tell us about your landmarks, mamascoot. Where in Canada are you talking about?

Cubby1331
04-19-2014, 10:56 AM
Niagara Falls is pretty familiar to Canadians and Americans.

inuyasha
04-19-2014, 04:14 PM
Hi
Sounds fun im in
Take care and ride safely
Yours Hank

Houndguy
04-20-2014, 09:59 AM
I've been away this week and don't have access to a computer. I'm thinking Universal things with some more challenging things being work more points.

For example: a fire hall would be worth 2 points. They are common enough that everyone should be able to ride to it. City Halls would be common enough as well.

I am thinking some National park or Monument would be acceptable if it can be found on the internet. So someone in a foreign country should be able to make sure I'm...err...an American...err...anyone is not cheating. :P These would be worth more points...like 10.

So suggestions?

National parks or State Parks - 10 points
Firehouse/Police Stations - 2 points.
Professional Stadiums - 10 points (any sport acceptable)

Any others?

inuyasha
04-20-2014, 10:39 AM
I've been away this week and don't have access to a computer. I'm thinking Universal things with some more challenging things being work more points.

For example: a fire hall would be worth 2 points. They are common enough that everyone should be able to ride to it. City Halls would be common enough as well.

I am thinking some National park or Monument would be acceptable if it can be found on the internet. So someone in a foreign country should be able to make sure I'm...err...an American...err...anyone is not cheating. :P These would be worth more points...like 10.

So suggestions?

National parks or State Parks - 10 points
Firehouse/Police Stations - 2 points.
Professional Stadiums - 10 points (any sport acceptable)

Any others?
Hi
What about museums college campus airports or train stations lakes or rivers famous landmarks specific to your location
If you think about it theres endless possibilities
Take care and ride safely dear friend
Youirs Hank

Gimpdog
04-20-2014, 08:21 PM
...Even your town's famous landmark. Then you could enlighten us all on why it's renown...

Houndguy
04-22-2014, 01:17 PM
Exactly! These are the examples I'm looking for. So let's get some more, some dates, and some rally cards designed. Bragging rights are on the line.

Houndguy
05-05-2014, 01:35 PM
Sorry everyone. I was on vacation and then spent the last week or so in training. I would still like to try to organize something but right now the timing is just falling apart.

Another time, another place.

cheapeto
05-08-2014, 07:31 AM
I've been riding on permits for the past couple of years, and just completed the BRC. Now that I can ride anywhere in the USA, I got a trip to Hickory NC and one to Mansfield Ohio in July planned.
I'll try and snap a few pics when on them.

inuyasha
05-08-2014, 09:19 AM
I've been riding on permits for the past couple of years, and just completed the BRC. Now that I can ride anywhere in the USA, I got a trip to Hickory NC and one to Mansfield Ohio in July planned.
I'll try and snap a few pics when on them.

Hi
Outstanding
That's marvelous news:clap::tup: congratulations:cheers:
Take care and ride safely dearest friend
Yours Hank

kz1000st
05-21-2014, 01:07 PM
Here, let me post a monument. This is on the site formerly occupied by the Deposit, NY train station. Years ago Connrail demolished it before the town could act to save it. The Erie railroad between New York and Lake Erie originated from here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erie_Railroad

http://i404.photobucket.com/albums/pp129/kz1000ST/Train1_zps26a25a8b.jpg (http://s404.photobucket.com/user/kz1000ST/media/Train1_zps26a25a8b.jpg.html)

http://i404.photobucket.com/albums/pp129/kz1000ST/Train2_zpse401b946.jpg (http://s404.photobucket.com/user/kz1000ST/media/Train2_zpse401b946.jpg.html)

At the beginning the plaque reads "Here on the morning of November 7th 1835 Ground was broken for the construction of the Erie Railroad designed to connect the Atlantic Ocean with the Great Lakes."

kz1000st
05-21-2014, 01:10 PM
If I may present another idea. Another site once suggested that on a certain date everyone should go out on a ride with their scooters, take pictures and tell about it. It was called the Virtual Group Ride. The idea being that everyone would be riding on that day as a virtual group and enjoying the day.

bandito2
01-20-2015, 06:41 PM
(V)irtual (G)roup (R)ide. V.G.R. Sounds like Vger... like on the Star Trek movie....... didn't see it? well it was actually the satellite 'Voyager' that was sent out into deep space so many years ago that actually was a character in the movie.... So VGR still works for virtual group ride voyages. Neat idea, but us folks up here in the snowy & cold north are not likely to go out for a ride any time soon. That might have us doing a virtual, virtual group ride using pics from past rides not posted or talked about. How about a winter virtual group ride? I'd be up for that. We could even embellish our stories a bit (or a lot) just for fun...

kz1000st
01-27-2015, 04:33 PM
Here's one of my favorites from a couple of years ago.

This morning my wife discovered my stepson had forgotten some video equipment that he needed for his week long job at a 4H camp. Since it's my day off I was assigned the task of bringing it to him. My first thought was to do it on the Fashion. Then I said to myself, "Anyone can do 83 miles on a 250 scooter, I'll take Rocket." Rocket, as you know, is my 50cc Cub clone built by Bashan. It rocks.

I loaded the stuff in its milk crate and took off for a scenic tour on State Route 10 to Hamden, NY. The first part about two miles out is a pretty good climb which I felt would be the initial test. If it struggled too badly I'd just turn around and get the CF Moto. I needn't have worried.

Near the top I was forced to throw a downshift and continued up at 25 mph. The rest of the trip isn't that hilly so I felt it would do OK. Okay just doesn't describe it. Once we hit more level terrain it ran along at 45 mph easily. When I needed a little more power on any inclines I would just tuck down, grab the left handlebar nearer to the steering head and pull in my knees. We reached the camp, 41.5 miles away, in an hour and ten minutes averaging somewhere in the high thirties.

I was only at camp at a few minutes dropping off the material and headed out fairly quickly. The road back to Rt. 10 snaked and dipped and Rocket stuck to the road like glue. One sign showed a curve and 15 mph. We did 35.

I decided coming to the camp that I'd cross the Hamden Covered Bridge just for yucks.

www.coveredbridgesite.com/ny/hamden.html

As you can see from the head on shot it has a wooden deck with boards laid lengthwise. I was extra careful not to stick the front wheel in the joints. Rocket kept up the pace and after a short stint we pulled into Walton. The bike and I needed a pit stop.

Riding the Rocket is almost like traveling for free. The stop was at 55.8 miles and it took .419 gallons (gallon?). That works out to 133 mpg. Not bad for a bike on a roll. It was running between 40 to 45 mph and would sneak up to 50 when I took my eyes off it on hills. It was gratifying to let cars go by me and see them creep away instead of flying off into the distance. Plus the way fourth gear is ratioed the engine isn't screaming either. The Lance Charming 50cc scooter I once had was absolutely shrieking at 40 mph. Rocket is probably running a little over 6,000 at 45 mph, honest.

The last piece of road was down hill next to the Cannonsville Reservoir Dam.

www.nyc.gov/html/dep/html/watershed_protection/cannonsville.shtml

Now the bike was really rolling. At one point I took my eyes off the speedo to look at some scenery. When I looked back it was at 52 mph, two miles over the indicated redline. Time to roll back the throttle and drag the brake a little. We rolled into the driveway, at 82.77 miles, two hours and thirty-four minutes after leaving. Considering my pit stop exceeded 10 minutes due to "My Pit Stop" and the gentleman who mistook Rocket for a Symba and wanted to know all about it, not too shabby. The whole trip might have cost me $2.50 in gas.

Way to go Rocket!

Best part. Even though it has a small head on profile every bike I waved to, waved back. One guy on a fully loaded Gold Wing must have had an inkling what I was riding. He sat straight up, smirked broadly and gave me a thumbs up. A truly impressive trip.

wheelbender6
01-27-2015, 10:02 PM
I like both ideas about virtual rallies and they both have advantages.
The points system version allows you to participate any day you choose.
A lot of people work weekends.
The certain date version requires no math.