PDA

View Full Version : No title, nothing on vin search.

Rxguy667
04-10-2014, 10:55 AM
I bought a scooter with 1400 miles, no title but got a bill of sale. I've done a vin search on it and nothing pulls up. I've checked 3 websites. Does this mean it was never registered? If so shouldn't getting a title for it be easier? Or do scooters just not show up on vin searches. I even did a motorcycle vin check.

Thanks

inuyasha
04-10-2014, 11:11 AM
Hi
I never buy a scoot or any vehicle without the proper paper work
It can be quite a hassle to get them and you open yourself up to possible legal issues if the scoot is stolen or theres any liens on it
I hope it turns out well for you
Take care and ride safely
Yours Hank

Rxguy667
04-10-2014, 11:15 AM
I don't like doing it, but there was nothing in my area with a title and didn't have a lot of money to work with. I only gave $350 which was every dollar I had. Just wondering if anyone has ever got a title before when they didn't have one. Or a way to find the previous owner name and address.

inuyasha
04-10-2014, 11:29 AM
I don't like doing it, but there was nothing in my area with a title and didn't have a lot of money to work with. I only gave $350 which was every dollar I had. Just wondering if anyone has ever got a title before when they didn't have one. Or a way to find the previous owner name and address.
Hi
Check with your local DMV dept thats where i would start
Take care and ride safely
Yours Hank

Rxguy667
04-10-2014, 11:50 AM
That's what I figured I would have to, just curious to what others thought. Thanks for your time Hank.

inuyasha
04-10-2014, 11:54 AM
That's what I figured I would have to, just curious to what others thought. Thanks for your time Hank.

Hi
Your most welcome
Once again you have my best wishes that all works out well for you and you get this rectified swiftly and easily
Take care and ride safely my friend
Yours Hank

Cubby1331
04-10-2014, 02:55 PM
It should have a VIN on it some where. Normally vehicles where the VIN was removed are normally stolen. I hope this isnt the case for you. hopefully the DMV can help you out

Rxguy667
04-10-2014, 07:31 PM
It had a vin on it, I've searched it on several sites and they say to check the number again, like it doesn't exist. Only one pulled up the company and where it was made. But that's it

scooter
04-10-2014, 09:05 PM
Probably never titled. Normally for a title you need the certificate of origin which comes from the factory or place you bought it from. You would take that to DMV with your receipt and they make you a title. Like here in Texas. If you buy a scoot out of state from say amazon, they don't send you a Texas title. They give you a crated scooter and a certificate of origin which you give the DMV to register it and make you a title. If it comes from within the state then the dealer has to do it for you by law. It may not be as complicated as you think. If it has a VIN which does not come up stolen (if it doesn't show up at all that means technically it's not stolen, even if it actually is stolen it was never registered therefore it isn't stolen as far as the DMV is concerned) then you may need to jump through a few hoops because you don't have a certificate of origin. The certificate of origin is important because it gives the vital info of the scooter. GVWR, CC's, make, model, etc that goes on the title which as you probably know the DMV won't just take your word for it because you googled it. Worse case you pay a little extra and do a "homemade motorcycle" title. You take it to a M/C shop and they make you a certificate of origin for a small fee. If you don't respond back please at least PM me to let me know how it worked out. I'm curious.

Gimpdog
04-10-2014, 09:36 PM
Yes, I know that I'd love to read the results of this...

I know that if the scooter is 50cc, it doesn't need to be registered in NC and no plates. There are probably quite a few riders that just carry their Bill of Sale with them for any problems.
Maybe this page will help you...

http://www.ncdot.gov/dmv/vehicle/title/vehicles/

cheapeto
04-11-2014, 07:21 AM
I bought my first BR in Maine.
Up there no title is needed below 300cc's I think it was.
When I got back to PA to title and registar it, I went to a local DMV notary.
They had me bring in the BR in my pick up, they checked all the numbers on the scooter, wrote down the mileage and $365.00 later I got a title.
Had I known it was going to cost me that much to title, I'd beat on the guy for a better price a bit harder.
That BR held it's value as I got almost what I paid for it 3-4 years later.
My next one (BR) I got for half of the price, that I paid for the first one!!

Rxguy667
04-11-2014, 07:32 PM
$300 is more the I'd be willing to pay. I've found several busted scoots for around $200. Thinking about checking for one with a title and slap my motor and goodies on it. Then have all the extra spare parts leftover. Maybe fix it up in my spare time and have a back up scoot.

Rxguy667
04-11-2014, 07:35 PM
I'm still gonna look into getting a title just in case tho. Just need to come up with the extra money for it all...