PDA

View Full Version : I think I messed up my tao tao

elmonorojo
04-08-2014, 11:22 PM
Hey all,

Got a brand new 150 tao tao ATM150-A (evo model I think). Anyways I changed out the fluids, spark plug, and tire valves like you all recommended. So I replace the fuel filter and fuel lines from the tank to the carb, and now the darn thing won't start. It cranks just fine, that is until I burnt out all the juice in the battery. I used the same size fuel lines, 3/16 inch, with a universal in-line filter. I double checked the distributor cap wiring and it was good. What did I do wrong?

blueboy5000
04-09-2014, 07:59 AM
Adjust your valves.

Scooters don't have distributors, so I assume you checked the coil and CDI?

But yes, valves that are too tight can cause hard or no start conditions, adjust them to .004" intake and .005" exhaust.

Cubby1331
04-09-2014, 09:37 AM
What blueboy5000 did say is true. Thats more work you might not have to do since you said you installed a new fuel filter i would look there.

Check to make sure you installed the fuel filter correctly since it works only flowing one way. You installed a new one so I would make sure that is the very first thing you check. since we all are human and can make stupid mistakes.

Hope all goes well

blueboy5000
04-09-2014, 12:11 PM
Agreed. the WIDER part of your fuel filter should face TOWARDS the carb, the NARROW end should face towards the FUEL TANK.

gitsum
04-09-2014, 02:09 PM
If you are worried about a fuel issue, recharge your battery and crank the engine with the fuel line disconnected from the carb. You should see a healthy stream of gas squirt out.

scooter
04-09-2014, 02:27 PM
I agree with all of the above. You may have also knocked a line loose and you're pulling a huge vacuum somewhere. Those lines are barely on there. I did all hoses when I did the desmog and what a difference. If your filter was backwards it seems it should have started until your carb was dry. I took my vacuum line off the pet cock and put my thumb over it to drain the carb when I was playing with the jets. It ran for about 60-90 seconds until petering out. My valves were WAY tight from the factory but it ran. But if it ran before and all you did was change fuel lines it should run now I would think. I've done some work to this bike and posted all of my results if you care to take a look see. I really like mine and wont sell it even though my commute is getting longer so I've got some good suggestions on a 400cc from the site here. I'll still pony it up for the city though. I just road it 50 miles this morning throughout the city taking care of some stuff and used half a tank. Wee Yah. And very easily made some illegal u-turns because I was lost in downtown S.A. Scootering is my new bag for sure.

elmonorojo
04-11-2014, 06:40 PM
Recharged the battery with a battery tender.

Checked the vacuum lines, it is definitely still pulling a vacuum on that 3 way metal piece.

Fuel is definitely being pulled from the tank and into the carburetor when I crank it.

I even checked that carburetor relief line with the screw in it (you know, the one that has a spring around it and attaches to the front of the CVT); I used it to dump all of the gasoline out of the carb to make sure it wasn't flooded.

Changed it back to the old fuel line and fuel filter, put it back exactly like I found it.

Gave the idle screw a few turns.

Checked the coil pack, battery terminals, spark plug boot, and battery fuses.

Anyone have any more ideas?

Also, how to I adjust the intake and exhaust valves, and where are they located?

scooter
04-12-2014, 05:39 PM
Read over these real good. Knowledge is power with that carb. As soon as you understand how it works it's easier to troubleshoot and tune for optimal performance. The dog scooter manual is a necessity to have and it has valve udjustment. Also search YouTube for Chinese scooter valve adjustment. http://www.chinesescooterreference.com/pdf/dawgscootermanual.pdf
http://www.chinesescooterreference.com/pdf/Jetting_and_Understanding_your_CV_Carburetor.pdf

elmonorojo
04-12-2014, 06:34 PM
Solved! It was one of the electrical leads connected to the Cdi box, came loose when I put electrical tape around it. Well, at least I learned something.