PDA

View Full Version : New Member

ellis4pa
03-13-2014, 12:08 AM
Hey guys,
I'm new here and well to just about everything scooter wise. I just preordered a 2014 Roketa 250cc 54B from Superior Power Sports, they told me to expect delivery first week of April.
I have a ton of questions for you guys, I hope you don't mind answering for me.
First set of questions, Oil; it says 15w-40 but can I use a motorcycle oil as long as it the right weight or is there a scooter oil made just for them? I'm hoping I can use something I can pick up locally. I want to use full synthetic but I'm wondering about the break in period, will synthetic be Ok for this? What brands do you guys recommend?
Also, for gear oil I'm assuming their really isn't a break in period just oil changes at recommended intervals. I want to use the best I can get, how do you guys feel about Royal Purple or Amsoil?
I see the oil filter is a mesh screen, how do you guys wash this out? Do you use oil to flush it? Also is their a magnet in there to clean? If not, what do you think about putting one in the filter?
Whats the general consensus of how to drive the scooter to break it in, I see a lot of different opinions, are there any tests ran on how the best way too break it in? I see 3 different ways from what I can tell, the manual, beat the hell out of it, and totally disregard it all together and just drive it.
What about performance parts? As in a performance air filter and ignition coil.
Sorry for so many and unfortunately that's all I have for now, Thank you guys in advance for your imput!

techie610
03-14-2014, 12:45 AM
First off, welcome to the Forums. :cheers:

Roketas are nice bikes, but I haven't drove on a 250 very much.
I use standard Castrol H.M. oil. There is a "Scoot Specific" oil but its way expensive, and doesn't do much difference, in my opinion.
For the filter, every oil change, just scrub out the screen and threads with a toothbrush.
Have never seen a magnet in one, but that could be helpful in gathering any metal flakes... Except aluminum..
I recommend doing just on and off 'city driving' for break in. Stop and go, not holding full throttle but getting there anyways. Also, change your oil at the first 200, 500, and 1,000 miles. Then just every 2,000 after that.
250cc bike don't really need much in the way of HP parts. But an unrestricted CDI from NCY is always a help Changing the air box to a more opened pipe or uni helps breath nicely, too. And a Hot Spark Coil (usually red wire) makes sure you have a solid strong spark every time.

ellis4pa
03-17-2014, 04:50 AM
Thanks for the reply!
I didn't think about the engine being mostly if not all aluminum, so a magnet wouldn't do much I guess. Thanks for the tip on cleaning the filter and break in method. One question on that though, how many miles should the break in be?
Also can you give me the NYC website, all I get in new York stuff when I search.
From what I've been reading It looks like I need to wait until delivery to find out what engine I actually got? So until then I need to wait to order anything.

twowheeler
03-17-2014, 07:20 AM
I would run the 10w40 mobile 4T only after an 800 mile break in.The W15 is irreverent unless you plan on riding in freezing cold conditions. Its designed for air cooled motors so you know it will help. Prior to that any dino oil will assist in having all the parts mesh properly.

As cheap as the magnet is get one anyway.

I ride all my scoots the same way for break in. Do some shrt bursts of acellerating and letting off. Reapeat this several times with some cool down in between. The first part of the break in happens in the first 20 minutes of riding so it is most crucial. You need to build up sufficient heat but just dont hold the redline. Vary your speeds while cruising for a few hundred miles or so.

Many who baby the scoot dont get that proper seal and get oil blowby. You only get one shot to do it right.

ellis4pa
03-18-2014, 01:34 AM
Ok, so no synthetic oil in the beginning, and regular motor oil can be used as long as its the right weight.
I will be riding it all year but the freezing part is done until this fall, hopefully.
Does anybody have or know where I can get the dimensions of the oil filter for the 250? Are they all the same or should I wait until I get it to measure?

ellis4pa
03-18-2014, 01:43 AM
One other thing, how reliable are the starters on these? I wanted a kick start option and almost bought a different model until I checked and it was listed wrong. I guess none of the 250cc comes with them. Is there a kit to add a kick start to a scooter? If not I might end up installing a dual battery setup for piece of mind.

ellis4pa
03-18-2014, 01:52 AM
Ok, some more questions. What about riding it in the rain or wet? I downloaded the terrible owners manual from Roketa and it says to change the oil every time you ride when wet. Are there open vents or something on it? Can I install a one way valve so it vents 1 way and doesn't let water in? This just seems weird.
And I was looking at repair manuals, can anyone point me to the right one for my scooter?

Pearl
03-19-2014, 02:17 PM
welcome. seems most of ur questions have been answered. yup steer clear of synthetic oil at the start and my advice is all together. when I switch to synth the bike started smoking for the first time, switch back to min oil and no smoke. you dont have to change your oil each tome you ride in the wet, my advice is change it every 1000km its cheap and will give your engine a long life. I have never seen a kick start on a larger capacity scooter and wouldn't think you could fit one. if you have a good battery and your charging system is good you shouldn't need a duel battery. enjoy your new bike and happy scooting