PDA

View Full Version : valve adjustment Tao Tao 150

scooter
03-11-2014, 08:39 PM
Hey. I adjusted the Evo's valves because I have 400 clicks. They were real tight, couldn't get a .003 in them. I backed them off to .005. Runs great but it seems to have lost some power. Also my TDC mark is way off. With the cam gear lined up with big hole on top, little holes and marks parallel with the valve cover mating surface, my crank is past the "TF" at the first line. But that's were everything rocked into place with the rocker arms loose on the valve stems and the camshaft right so that's what I used as TDC. Does this all sound right? The only thing I did different at the same time was fuel lines and a different coil. Now I paid a whopping 5 dollars for this "high performance" coil just so I could have a spare but there was nothing wrong with my original coil. I just figured since it said "high performance" I'd slap it on. May be a POS. She's real smooth and all though. Maybe it's just the lasagna from last night slowing me down.

twowheeler
03-11-2014, 09:55 PM
I would say that the timing is off and the loss of power. Might have to move the chain.

scooter
03-11-2014, 10:02 PM
Yeah, I was thinking that. But from the factory? And it if's it's forward of the TF then it's advanced right? Which would make it run like a scalded ape but detonate like Hells Fury. It runs good, I can't hear any detonating but I'm deaf, I don't know. I did however think about re- timing it. Just wondered if anyone else had this issue. What do you think about the valve lash being so tight? Normal?

ng5y
03-12-2014, 02:01 AM
What are you basing your service interval on? I am a new owner and have closer to 1000 clicks on my EVO 150. I have changed the engine oil twice and the gear oil once. I have bought a new plug and have one of those new CDI units on order. I am not so certain the new cdi will do anything for me. Sitting on the stand, I don't detect any limiting of rpm's. But being new to scooters, perhaps that is not a valid test. I am NOT a lightweight. I weigh in a little over 300 lbs (over 6 feet tall) and thus far on level ground have seen speeds up to 9o KPH. The bike starts well, runs well. Even idols well so long as the engine is warm. Have noticed significant performance boost just by using ethyl gas over regular. Then spotted in some third party documentation that 93+ octane gas is recommended. I went to AUTO ZONE to get the new plug. They didn't have NGK in stock but had equivalent. I bought it anyway. But again, have not installed it as yet. It's not broken so not fixing. I have had the notorious loose bolt's on the chassis. I got some locktite and put that on most of the bolts on the exhaust. Also had to tighten all the screws on the front ferrying assembly.

twowheeler
03-12-2014, 12:20 PM
You need to get an NGK. Theres no equivalent. And put it in.

scooter
03-12-2014, 06:29 PM
Whoa, yes you're a big boy on a 150. I'm pretty big on this thing and I'm about 220 at 6ft. I have seen much bigger on these things around town though. I bet you get some grins but that's cool as heck. You are the trendsetter. I'm in San Antonio. I noticed no difference in the NGK power wise. But as for as longevity and reliability I know NGK's are the plugs to have. I'm basing my maintenance schedule off of other more experienced users of these little scooters. Off of this web site and just googling it. I changed oil immediately, then at 100 clicks I think, then at 400, now I'll wait till 1000 for oil change and. valves I think again. But does anyone have the answers to any questions I had above?

dyoung1167
03-17-2014, 10:27 AM
the timing mark is not going to be right as it is spark timing which should happen just prior to tdc and is really only of use with a timing light. it's a very common mis-thought by many so don't fret over it.
but if you take a short piece of something like chopstick and place it in the plug hole when you think it is tdc. using the plug hole as a sort of pivot point put a little pressure against the piston. now turn the engine a little each way and as the chopstick moves (changes direction) you will be able to determine exactly when you are tdc, then verify if the cam gear is lined up correctly. i doubt more that more than one tooth off in either direction it would even run.

scooter
03-17-2014, 05:27 PM
the timing mark is not going to be right as it is spark timing which should happen just prior to tdc and is really only of use with a timing light. it's a very common mis-thought by many so don't fret over it.
but if you take a short piece of something like chopstick and place it in the plug hole when you think it is tdc. using the plug hole as a sort of pivot point put a little pressure against the piston. now turn the engine a little each way and as the chopstick moves (changes direction) you will be able to determine exactly when you are tdc, then verify if the cam gear is lined up correctly. i doubt more that more than one tooth off in either direction it would even run.

Yes sir, solid! I got it done looking at the cam lobes and wiggling the crank back and forth, then wiggling the rocker arms and measuring, back and forth with that a few times to find true TDC. That's great advice though. I appreciate both of you for responding.

drduckworth
07-07-2014, 01:48 AM
I just purchased an evo 150 for my stepdaughter and want to get it up to snuff so that she doesn't have any trouble. I understand that I need to get an NGk plug, drain the crappy oem oil, and replace the gear oil. I don't know how to drain the gear oil and I haven't the foggiest idea about how to adjust valves. Any recommendations on tutorials or just general advice for self education? Pro tips, etc?

nwscooterboy
07-07-2014, 10:13 AM
I just purchased an evo 150 for my stepdaughter and want to get it up to snuff so that she doesn't have any trouble. I understand that I need to get an NGk plug, drain the crappy oem oil, and replace the gear oil. I don't know how to drain the gear oil and I haven't the foggiest idea about how to adjust valves. Any recommendations on tutorials or just general advice for self education? Pro tips, etc?

Everyone else on this site, and I do mean everyone, ha ha has WAY more experience then I do with scooters as I haven't even received mine yet. (This week maybe! Woopee!) But I can safely say I've googled "scooter PDI" numerous times and have come across several different tutorials. There is even a YouTube video showing the process

http://youtu.be/Pim-z9s1boU