PDA

View Full Version : Flasher

rockie
03-10-2014, 07:03 PM
Here's a problem I have. Gotta be a simple fix. On my 150 JW, I was always leaving my turn signals on. After I done turned four miles back I would look at the speedometer or gas gage and notice my turn signal indicator was flashing. Then I would turn them off. I needed something that would get my attention real quick. Here's what I did. I took a strip of LED lighting and Cut 3 lights X 2. One srip of 3 for each side. I removed the original bulbs, took the wires and redirected them to the strips. This worked real good, really gets my attention. Only they don't work all the time. Could I have a bad flasher, or maybe I need a different kind. Can anyone help?:shrug:

Guest_3
03-10-2014, 09:39 PM
They sell beeping flashers, any auto parts store should have them.

Heres a 3 prong.

http://macsautoparts.com/images/189/A13350-12BEEP_pJPG.JPG

Heres a 2 prong.

http://www.scooterwest.com/file/000/000/000/110/85/mi107.jpg?1344903103

rockie
03-10-2014, 10:50 PM
Can't hear it. Thanks

Guest_3
03-10-2014, 11:06 PM
OK, Get a heavy duty flasher. Go to any car parts yard and they will sell it to you for 50 cents.

Like a u pick it place.

Rhompin45
03-11-2014, 12:50 AM
From my experience LEDs need a special flasher relay. My friend put some on his bike and the stock flasher relay was pushing to much power to the bulbs and they were acting all crazy. After he got a new relay for it he had to replace the bulbs.

scooter
03-11-2014, 08:28 PM
A couple of resistors before your bulbs may do that trick. As stated by others above they act goofy because LED's don't have the resistance light regular bulb. I put some LED blinkers on my 350Z years ago and I have this problem. Now they make them all the way they need to be, but yours is certainly custom. Let us know what fixed it. I can't hear either and you have a solid idea!

rockie
03-11-2014, 08:49 PM
A couple of resistors before your bulbs may do that trick. As stated by others above they act goofy because LED's don't have the resistance light regular bulb. I put some LED blinkers on my 350Z years ago and I have this problem. Now they make them all the way they need to be, but yours is certainly custom. Let us know what fixed it. I can't hear either and you have a solid idea!

That sounds good, but I have no idea what kind of a resistors to ask for at the electronics store. Do you? I would replace all my turn signals with LEDS and a compatible flasher if I knew where to get them.

scooter
03-11-2014, 09:57 PM
Hey, check out this link. It's not the exact link I used but it's basically what I used to figure out my lights.
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_size_resistor_to_use_when_replacing_turn_sign al_bulbs_with_led_lights#slide=12&article=What_size_resistor_to_use_when_replacing_t urn_signal_bulbs_with_led_lights

scooter
03-11-2014, 09:58 PM
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_size_resistor_to_use_when_replacing_turn_sign al_bulbs_with_led_lights#slide=1&article=What_size_resistor_to_use_when_replacing_t urn_signal_bulbs_with_led_lights this link will start you from the beginning.

rockie
03-16-2014, 07:26 PM

This seems to have worked. Instead of replacing the original bulbs I just tied the new ones into the existing wiring. Now the flasher gets the pull it needs to work and the LEDS just piggyback. I guess that is what they do. I can see them just fine.:tup:

scooter
03-16-2014, 07:49 PM
I'm glad it worked out. I didn't really think of that way but yes, with them piggy backed off of the originals you would have the amp draw without using resistors. Wish I could get answers to my posts. I seem to answer my own stuff. The searches on any forums are very limited most of the time if you don't have the exact key words. They argued for 6 pages on whether a GY6 was equal to a Jap scooter and there was even one that was about as long about the temperature at users locations. Not a lot of new tech stuff though. You have to search through archives because the guys won't answer specific tech issues.