PDA

View Full Version : Hi from the Tulsa area

roachjuice
03-08-2014, 06:54 PM
Hello. I figured I'd sign up on here. Recently acquired an 05 Baron 150cc convertible. Needs some work but hey can't beat free! Here's a pic. I wanna strip it down.

inuyasha
03-08-2014, 07:12 PM
Hi
Welcome aboard
Pleased to meet you
Cool scoot i like her looks
If she was mine i would keep her that way , as shes very unique and there are times when i would love to have a windscreen and roof on my motorbikes for when i ride in inclement weather but am looking forward to what you change her into
Best wishes with the modifications
Take care and ride safely
Yours Hank

roachjuice
03-08-2014, 07:36 PM
Hi
Welcome aboard
Pleased to meet you
Cool scoot i like her looks
If she was mine i would keep her that way , as shes very unique and there are times when i would love to have a windscreen and roof on my motorbikes for when i ride in inclement weather but am looking forward to what you change her into
Best wishes with the modifications
Yours Hank
I've got a car for bad weather and I don't feel too safe riding in the rain lol. Most of the plastic is busted or scratched anyway. Looks to have been kept out in the weather most it's life.
Anyone know where I can find braking system parts for it? Is it model specific or are most of the Chinese scooters the same?

inuyasha
03-08-2014, 08:05 PM
I've got a car for bad weather and I don't feel too safe riding in the rain lol. Most of the plastic is busted or scratched anyway. Looks to have been kept out in the weather most it's life.
Anyone know where I can find braking system parts for it? Is it model specific or are most of the Chinese scooters the same?
Hi
Ive got autos and trucks for foul weather as well but there are times when you just get caught out and bad weather arrives when im out riding my motorbikes
Chinese scoots are pretty generic and parts are interchangable between most of the different brands
Check out our any of sponsers like "scrappy dog scooters" for parts
Yours Hank

roachjuice
03-08-2014, 08:13 PM
Sweet. Thanks man

Guest_3
03-08-2014, 08:13 PM
Welcome to SD. :cheers:

Gimpdog
03-08-2014, 08:20 PM
Yeah, we're glad you're here. Hope you enjoy our great forum. Why don't you put your location on our map? See link in my signature...

inuyasha
03-08-2014, 08:28 PM
Sweet. Thanks man

Hi
Your most welcome, glad to be of assistance
Yours Hank

roachjuice
03-08-2014, 08:31 PM
Yeah, we're glad you're here. Hope you enjoy our great forum. Why don't you put your location on our map? See link in my signature...

Done. Looks like a lot of guys up northeast.

Guest_3
03-08-2014, 08:52 PM
Bring beer when you come here and you'll fit right in with the scoot people out here.

roachjuice
03-08-2014, 10:25 PM
^^^^ lol hell yea! I've been to DC once.

scooter
03-08-2014, 10:48 PM
I would love to have a roof and windshield in SA. I ride to work in heavy dew/ fog and come home in gorgeous weather during the fall and early spring. But the morning commute would be great with your set-up. Haven't done a summer yet but on my sport bikes in traffic the sun is brutal. Especially going to/ coming from the base. We have to wear a lot of gear to get through the gate. Although I would wear my gear anyway, it get's hot. I didn't even know these things existed as I'm new to scooting. That thing is cool, you have me looking for one now. Is this the same GY6 setup/ basic Chinese scooter like my Tao Tao?

roachjuice
03-08-2014, 11:09 PM
I would love to have a roof and windshield in SA. I ride to work in heavy dew/ fog and come home in gorgeous weather during the fall and early spring. But the morning commute would be great with your set-up. Haven't done a summer yet but on my sport bikes in traffic the sun is brutal. Especially going to/ coming from the base. We have to wear a lot of gear to get through the gate. Although I would wear my gear anyway, it get's hot. I didn't even know these things existed as I'm new to scooting. That thing is cool, you have me looking for one now. Is this the same GY6 setup/ basic Chinese scooter like my Tao Tao?

Yea it looks to be a basic gy6 150cc setup. I'm not sure what model it is. It just says baron 150-5 on the side. I rode yesterday for a bit. It also has a windshield wiper and a radio!
I don't think the battery is charging because it wouldn't start this morning.

scooter
03-08-2014, 11:15 PM
A windshield wiper! Ah man, I gotta get me one a those! I just found what appears to be a new one for 1100 shipped to my door. Seriously thinking about it. Put a voltmeter on your battery when it's running. What kinda voltage you getting?. You could either have a charging problem, weak battery, or a short. Is your battery sitting in a plastic or metal box? I'm new to scooters, but been riding and mechanicing a long time.

roachjuice
03-08-2014, 11:31 PM
I'll jump it and check it tomorrow. Kick starting it seems impossible lol.

Admin
03-09-2014, 03:52 AM
Very cool, welcome! "Free" is the best kind of anything! :tup:

roachjuice
03-09-2014, 02:47 PM
Ok did a voltage test. Max output I saw was 13.5v running. Battery was dead this morning. I saw it was low on water so I put some distilled water in it and jumped it off. Let it idle for a little while. I can stop it and start it one time no problem. But cranking more than 5 seconds its dead.

scooter
03-09-2014, 05:43 PM
HAHA, yeah you can't have a roof, windshield wiper, and stereo and have to kick it!

scooter
03-09-2014, 05:52 PM
Could be the battery. If it was de charged for awhile sitting the plates may be dead. You may want to invest in a little trickle charger if your gonna scoot. I charge my to full charge about once a week as I do on the Sport bikes. It will also tell you if that battery is weak. Or autozone could tell you. If your radio has a clock on it it's pulling . something of an amp all the time. With a weak little battery that could be the issue. You could also have what's caused static discharge. If your battery is sitting in a metal tray it is possible, never seen it with plastic tray but theoretically it could be grounding through bolts I guess that holds the plastic tray to the frame. If the electrolytes have ever spilled over the top you can actually get voltage to ground on the case of the battery. It will drain it just sitting. A good baking soda solution to clean the battery and tray real good would remedy it. I'm by no means a pro, just tossing ideas out.

roachjuice
03-09-2014, 06:20 PM
Well I let it sit most of today. Went out there and it fired right up. I don't think it has a drain on the battery anywhere. It's sitting in a plastic trey. I think it could have just been low on water in the battery. Hopefully it didn't ruin a cell. I had a parts store test it and it said good needs charge. I plan on getting a trickle charger. I was gonna ask which should I get? 1amp?

inuyasha
03-09-2014, 06:41 PM
Well I let it sit most of today. Went out there and it fired right up. I don't think it has a drain on the battery anywhere. It's sitting in a plastic trey. I think it could have just been low on water in the battery. Hopefully it didn't ruin a cell. I had a parts store test it and it said good needs charge. I plan on getting a trickle charger. I was gonna ask which should I get? 1amp?
Hi
I use one of these to charge and maintain my motorbikes batteries

http://batterytender.com/products/motorcycle/battery-tender-junior-12v-at-0-75a.html
Yours Hank

scooter
03-10-2014, 12:57 AM
I use a black and decker vec1089abd. It's self sufficient, goes down to 2 amp. I use it on RV too. God little charger. It was a gift about 6 or 8 years ago and still going strong.