PDA

View Full Version : flooding BAAAAAAAD

scooter
03-05-2014, 09:11 PM
Evo 150. On the way home today it sputtered some. About a mile later it wouldn't idle, had to keep it revved at the light. About 2 minutes later it died and I was done. Fuel was pouring out of the overflow, the one that has a 45 degree slash cut in it. Anyway, so while I'm waiting for my boy to come get me in my truck I did the following.
Pulled intake tube from air box- full of fuel.
Tested vacuum petcock- good. No fuel until cranking
Pulled spark plug and blew all fuel out of combustion chamber
Cranked with plug hooked to coil and got spark; cleaned plug
Pulled slide diaphragm apart, checked it, appears normal although it was inside out
Got home, drilled bowl screws out, nothing obvious wrong and didn't have a sticking needle/float which I thought would be the problem. Of course maybe I jarred it loose getting it off the scooter.
Just get new carb?

qwertydude
03-05-2014, 11:24 PM
I would get a new carb just as insurance. It's good to have a spare carb especially if you fix one that did give you problems. Nothing worse than not only being stranded but then having to wait for parts to be shipped to you.

scooter
03-06-2014, 12:20 PM
I agree with you. But I still like figuring problems out. I got it back together. Idles great for about 10 seconds then plug is fouled. Seems fine after idle. I think it may have been the float to begin with, then I screwed something else up while manhandling it. Seems only on the idle circuit. I'll mess with it today and post back. I had to put another plug in and charge battery last night so I could start fresh with troubleshooting.

scooter
03-07-2014, 12:01 AM
Ok,
I'm replying to my own post here except for the dude. But that's cool. I wanted to reply here in case people ever have the same issue so I'll recap. Evo 150. On the way home it sputtered some on decel and light accel. Past mid throttle it was good. About a mile later it wouldn't idle, had to keep it revved at the light. About 2 minutes later it died and I was done. Fuel was pouring out of the overflow, the one that has a 45 degree slash cut in it opposite the throttle cable on the carb. Got home, drilled bowl screws out and checked. I'm 99 percent sure it was the float sticking but I jarred it loose getting it off the scooter, because when I got it apart all was normal. Put it all back together and it fired up and ran perfect for 10 seconds. Started sputtering, very erratic idle, and puffing black smoke out of the tail pipe. Also smelled like a refinery. Pulled the plug and it was black and wet with fuel. Put my original Chinese plug back in, charged the battery over night (for testing purposes) to full and planned on tinkering with it tonight. Cleaned garage and found the O ring with three holes in it on the floor. The O ring that goes between the Choke and body of carb. Put O-ring back in and it runs like new. Oh wait, it is new. :doh: Runs like it did before sticky float, how's that? I recommend looking at the schematics of this carb online. Study it until you understand what everything does. It will help you troubleshoot on the side of the road. There are some real good ones on Google which I think came from users of Scoot Dawg. Lastly I recommend upgrading your tool kit with a long (6-8 inch) medium sized flat head and Philips, A pair of slip joints, and a 1/4 inch ratchet with a 6 inch extension and an 8 and 10 mill socket. With that stuff plus your factory wrenches you can pretty much rebuild the scooter. Minus parts of course. But you could damn sure unstick a float in about 15 minutes with all that. Or find a hose popped off. Or change a CDI or coil. My seat has to come off to easily do any of that. Hope this helps someone out there.

cheapeto
03-08-2014, 09:06 AM
Thanks for taking your time up dating your thread, sooo many do not.
I usually dont have anything helpful to add, but I'm reading the threads.

Rhompin45
03-08-2014, 09:21 AM
Well it's good to here it's good again. I have found with these scooters people usually over think the problem and its just something stupid simple.