PDA

View Full Version : Easy Oil blow by fix...

carasdad
03-02-2014, 03:36 PM
Easy Oil blow by fix... Cheapest fix..AND works the best.. Cost is 2 bux! This what I did until I fixed the blow by issue. Take a $2.00 8 oz.Hamster water bottle from wal mart..bore a hole in the bottle bottom to allow gases to vent.. Fill bottle with steel wool..but DO NOT pack it in tight or the air will not flow. Pop out the check ball in the tube at the bottom or saw the tip off to remove it. Use NO CHECK VALVE or it will prevent oil back flow into engine. The steel wool acts to catch the oil..cool it and hold it in the bottle..so at idle..low speeds or when shut off..the pressure being lower..the oil will drain back into engine. The vent hole on the bottles bottom allows built up gases to pass through. Run just a hose from the valve cover vent to the nipple on the bottle and attach it up on the frame above engine level..about seat height.with Zip Ties. Now your blow gas escapes the hole in the bottle and the oil is trapped in the bottle then recycled.. Looks too easy huh? Well on the old scootdawg site I posted this...many many tried it..it worked and they ridded themselves of the problem without some expensive oil catch can and check valve.. Here is a pic below. Glenn

inuyasha
03-02-2014, 04:05 PM
Hi Glenn
Outstanding
Great info thanks ever so much for sharing that with us
Take care and ride safely dear friend and comrade
Yours Hank

Frank Castle
03-02-2014, 04:24 PM
whats a blow by?

twowheeler
03-02-2014, 08:55 PM
Crankcase ventilation. I myself just removed it all and have a small fuel filter on the end of some tubing and let it go that way.

blueboy5000
03-12-2014, 02:48 PM
I myself use a catch can I made myself out of an aluminum 8oz water bottle and a Mr Gasket oil-breather filter. My system works much the same way, but instead traps the small amount of condensed oil vapor, rather than return it to the oil system, to prevent excess h2so4 build up in the oil.

Since you are supposed to change oil regularly, it is rather a miniscule amount of sulfuric acid that would return to the oil system w the hamster bottle method, so the issue of a return or semi-closed system is a matter of personal preference.