PDA

View Full Version : 150cc speedometer not working

knightrider
02-26-2014, 07:01 AM
hi I just joined scootdawg and had a question. the speedometer on my 150cc scooter maxes out regardless of speed. the odometer works though. what could be the cause of this and is there a way to fix it? :hmm:

carasdad
02-26-2014, 08:01 AM
hi I just joined scootdawg and had a question. the speedometer on my 150cc scooter maxes out regardless of speed. the odometer works though. what could be the cause of this and is there a way to fix it? :hmm:
If the Odometer works it means the cable is intact and rotating as it should. The Speedometer part it self is run by a rotating magnet that induces current into a wound coil. Therefore the faster it rotates..the more current is induced and the higher it reads.There is a tiny Resistor to regulate current flow in the circuit that is not marked with the typical color bands that indicate its rating..so you cannot replace it at Radio Shack. One reason it cannot be calibrated since they are all incorrect in their readings..is because of their simplistic design. Many motor vehicles use this type of inductance to operate the Speedometer..but the quality and design is better. Also the Speedometer has a 'Hair Spring' with a magnetic damper that returns it to 'Zero' These tiny springs shear off easily and cannot be repaired..UNLESS you are good at 'Micro Surgery' and have access to Wrist Watch Springs. The Odometer will continue to work because it operates off a gear driven and nearly infallible system. So to answer your question.. No the Speedometer itself cannot be fixed. Sorry.. But they are cheap to buy on Ebay.. :yay:
Glenn
p.s. Post a pick of your Speedometer AND its plug in connecter as some have 4,5,6 or more wires for the plug.. The plug and style of the Speedometer will help us find one for ya..

inuyasha
02-26-2014, 08:18 AM
Hi Knightrider
Welcome aboard
Pleased to meet you
Glenn aka Carasdad is absolutely correct in his assessment
You need to purchase and install a new speedometer
Take care and ride safely
Yours Hank