PDA

View Full Version : linhai 260 charging problem

Pearl
01-09-2014, 04:09 AM
hi guys hoping someone can help
my linhai 260 charging system is only putting out 12.9 volts at the battery when running and if I have the lights on it drains the battery. not sure where to start is it the rectifier or the stator. have any other linhai owners experienced this problem? I have checked the ground wire and that is fine. its charging but not enough to run accessories if I dont use lights I can ride it and it will be fine but thats not really safe :)

oldkid
01-09-2014, 09:11 AM
My Mainstreet 300 shows over 13 volts it runing at cruise speed. It will usually show about 14 volts until it gets the battery charged back up after starting, then drop back down. My cars all do the same, so yours seems low unless you are talking about idle speed. Are you sure about the battery? I'm wondering if the problem is with the battery.

DaveC
01-09-2014, 11:10 PM
Seems to me, that if it were the stator or R/R, the battery would eventually go dead after not too long riding. (indicating the R/R and stator are keeping the battery minimumally charged to the point to keep the bike running)
But u say u can ride all day and the battery not go dead.
Seems to me it's the battery.

bhinch
01-10-2014, 12:46 PM
Sounds like the battery....My scoot shows 12.9 to 13.1 volts running, with HID's and leds.

Pearl
02-05-2014, 12:07 AM
Hi guys as always thanks for the advice it turns out it was the rectifier thst had burnt out. all sorted now.

hagedorn45
05-23-2014, 09:31 PM
I have a problem with the ground wire coming off the rectifier man it get real hot to the point if i leave in running i would burn the wire. One thing i noticed was the small ground wires are all connected to a large ground that follows the whole harness and can not find where it is connected to the frame except for one small wire that is hooked up to the back of the rectifier between the frame and rectifier is that normal or should that large ground wire be hooked up to the frame thanks

bnc
05-24-2014, 04:02 AM
Most bikes have the main ground wire connected to the starter. The reason is that the starter draws more current than the whole bike combined with it is cranking.

hagedorn45
05-24-2014, 07:13 AM
Thanks for your response if i could follow up on my last question. The reason i am working on the electrical part of this scooter (jcl with linhai 257 engine) is I melted the plastic connectors from the stator some have said it was do to me using a fiat auto to jump start the scooter. So i cut the plastic connectors out and spliced the wires with tubular connectors. That seemed to be ok when i tested the charging of the battery i was getting between 13 to 13.50 volts. But when i started it up the ground wire from the rectifier got so hot that running more would have melted the wire. So advise told me to try a new rectifier but that did not work. Then got more advice to install larger gage ground from rectifier directly to battery but did not work. Infact that made the yellow wires from the stator get warm. Then noticed that the main ground was not hooked to anything other then a small gage wire coming of the main was the only thing grounded. The thing that concernes me is that before the melting of the stator wires everything worked great and actually everything works now accept the wires getting hot. Sorry to be so long winded but boy is this frustraing

bnc
05-24-2014, 02:07 PM
The main bike ground normally comes off the negative battery terminal and grounds the chassis at the starter. There are secondary grounds like the one you describe at the rectifier to stop ground loops that form because the steel frame is not that good a conductor. Without the secondary grounds, the starter ground might be at zero volts but the rectifier ground might be at +1 volts or -0.5 volts, etc.

Hooking to a car is not a problem unless you start the car. The scooter and car regulating systems do not work the same. For example, if the car system puts out +13.5 volts and the scooter normally does +13.0 volts, the regulator system on the scooter will try to absorb the extra voltage by attempting to load down the car. The problem is the car system can put out so much more power that the rectifier system on the scooter can fry before it can absorb the extra power.

hagedorn45
05-26-2014, 08:35 AM
(bnc) boy you just set off that light bulb in my head that is exactly what happened the car i had jumping the scooter would not start it with the car not running so he started it and on top of doing that we left the car running thinking that would build up the battery on the scooter and all the while the rectifier was getting fried all long with the connections from the stator was melting beyond recognition would that have done in the stator to as i have been trying different things i have gotten the battery to increase from 12.40 to 13.50. I am new to this form so i dont now the proper procedure to give you a big thanks but thanks very much for what you have sent me i thinks it has something to do with dog bones so here is a big bone for you