PDA

View Full Version : Gas Gauge Question

Silas_Deane
01-06-2014, 07:37 PM
Hello all,

I am a new scooter owner with some mechanical experience. I found out today when i was driving around that my gas gauge doesn't work! (ran out) I have a chinese 150cc gy6 and found the instrument cluster on ebay for relatively cheap. Will this fix my gauge problem? if not how does the scooter register how much gas is in the tank. Thanks for the help, I absolutely LOVE riding around on a scooter.

carasdad
01-06-2014, 08:35 PM
Hello all,

I am a new scooter owner with some mechanical experience. I found out today when i was driving around that my gas gauge doesn't work! (ran out) I have a chinese 150cc gy6 and found the instrument cluster on ebay for relatively cheap. Will this fix my gauge problem? if not how does the scooter register how much gas is in the tank. Thanks for the help, I absolutely LOVE riding around on a scooter.
The gauge gets a signal from a float in the tank..called the sending unit. Here is a pic of one. The fuel gauges are rarely ever correct...however usually NEVER off so much that you will run out of fuel. I always adjust mine by letting the tank get 1/2 full..then bending the rod on the sending unit until the gauge reads 1/2 full.. From there it should be very close to accurate. Doubtful that buying a new gauge cluster was your issue..sad to say. A common thing happens to the sending units...that being the float itself saturates with gas then splits apart and falls off..leaving you with no float. When this occurs the wire will drop down and the tank will always read empty. if the gauge moves but is off..showing you have fuel when the tank is empty..the wire(shaft) on the sending unit must be bent up slightly..then checked until the gauge is reading close to normal. As I said.. I 'calibrate' mine using 1/2 tank of gas...and so far they have come out very close in accuracy..
Glenn

Guest_3
01-06-2014, 09:11 PM
Silas_Deane, Welcome to SD. :cheers:

+1 on what Glenn said. :tup:

Got any pics of your scoot ??. We like pics of other peoples scoots. :nod:

Silas_Deane
01-06-2014, 10:26 PM
Silas_Deane, Welcome to SD. :cheers:

+1 on what Glenn said. :tup:

Got any pics of your scoot ??. We like pics of other peoples scoots. :nod:

I'll see what i can do!

The gauge reads full, not empty.

Thanks for the quick replies!

carasdad
01-07-2014, 08:51 AM
I'll see what i can do!

The gauge reads full, not empty.

Thanks for the quick replies!
If the gauge reads full..the wire shaft needs to be bent upwards at the bend you see in it. (see picture in last post) What happens is that it is extending too deep into the tank..so even when near empty..the float is resting on the little bit of gas there is...giving you a false reading. Fill your tank 1/2 full and look inside of it to visual assure it is about 1/2 full. Then at the bend in the sending unit rod about 1/2 down the shaft..bend it up about 1/4 inch..place it back in the tank to check( making sure you press down on the unit..don't just let it set in place over the tank..Lock it in place)..and keep bending until you get a true or close reading. Easier than ya think..in fact it is easier than pushing and out of gas Scoot..>D

Silas_Deane
01-07-2014, 04:11 PM
If the gauge reads full..the wire shaft needs to be bent upwards at the bend you see in it. (see picture in last post) What happens is that it is extending too deep into the tank..so even when near empty..the float is resting on the little bit of gas there is...giving you a false reading. Fill your tank 1/2 full and look inside of it to visual assure it is about 1/2 full. Then at the bend in the sending unit rod about 1/2 down the shaft..bend it up about 1/4 inch..place it back in the tank to check( making sure you press down on the unit..don't just let it set in place over the tank..Lock it in place)..and keep bending until you get a true or close reading. Easier than ya think..in fact it is easier than pushing and out of gas Scoot..>D

Thanks for the help, I just filled up today and the gauge reads empty. seems to me that the float is garbage. Im thinking i will just fill up every 100km or so.

carasdad
01-07-2014, 05:41 PM
Thanks for the help, I just filled up today and the gauge reads empty. seems to me that the float is garbage. Im thinking i will just fill up every 100km or so.
A new tank sending unit is about 12 bux on Ebay.. Send a pic of yours and your scoot so we can help you find which one ya need. Also check your float..even though it reads empty while full..it may NOT be completely broken..i.e. the float is split and fallen off. It may just be way outta whack and needs to be bent. So do pull it out and check that. A working gauge makes a more comfy ride than guessing when to add fuel to your tank..:tup:

cheapeto
01-08-2014, 09:47 AM
Great advice carasdad.
The more you keep fixed on the chinascoots, the better of a mechanic you'll be. Also, the less stuff you have to fix when you sell it for your next scooter.....and we all get a another scooter, LOL!