PDA

View Full Version : "Long Way Round" on netflix

Houndguy
12-28-2013, 08:55 AM
So I started watching the "Long way Round" the other night on netflix (http://www.longwayround.com/) and I have to say I was disappointed. At least with the first 2 episodes...there are 9 total

If your not familiar with it, Ewan McGregor (famous actor) and Charley Boorman (not famous actor) took a 19,000 mile (30 KM) journey from London to New York.

What bothered me about it was that these guys are so rich that they can afford a staff to arrange visa's, get free gear, arrange sponsorship's. I know for a fact that other riders have made similar journey's on smaller bikes (BMW gave them R1150GS adventure models for promotional consideration). They also had a support crew of at least 4 or 5 members in trucks following them at times. Including a doctor and security personal. The crew and riders all received specialized first aid, security and language lessons.

While I'm not denying the hardship they would have faced, I just wish they would have approached it as less as a TV production.

OK...Jealous rant over. :cheers:

bandito2
12-28-2013, 12:00 PM
I just got the DVD series of both "The Long Way Round" and "The Long Way Down" in the mail the other day (Merry Christmas to me:nod:) I just got done watching episode 5 of TLWR. They didn't plan things well; (even though they started plans long before and even had a special office to do it in.):shrug: They didn't get a 3rd rider to do vids following/approaching etc. until after they started the trip because he didn't pass the test to get a motorcycle license.:wtf::nuts: And they only got BMW to sponsor them because KLR backed out thinking they wouldn't make it. And they would NOT have made it without all the help from the support crew.
The bikes were too big, heavy and over loaded. And the riders not experienced enough with them.

It is educational though in the way NOT to do a multi-country ride. They did encounter some hardships, but it seems largely of their own doing. Still entertaining though.

Gotta make some popcorn and watch some more.

Frank Castle
02-07-2014, 02:05 PM
hmm, im a movie addict and i never seen this, gonna have to check this out

bandito2
02-07-2014, 09:37 PM
I'm pretty sure they bleep out all the profanity for Netflix... they sure didn't on the DVD series. And BTW, they should have called all of this "Long Way To Fall Down Round The Wrong Way" and subtitled "and dirt gets in your mouth so dirt comes back out of your mouth" Awful lot of falling down. Even the support vehicle managed to trip and flip over in a relatively flat area. Awful lot of cursing too. I'm not a prude but jeez!!! enough with the F-bombs already!:ugh:

Couldn't help but notice Charley doing wheelies almost every time they left any place. It was annoying to watch and they even told him to stop screwing around. (I'm saying that nicely) He was a bit reckless and near the end of the Africa ride he caused the cameraman on another bike to crash. If I were Ewan, (but I'm not so.....) I would never ride with that jackass ever again.:tdown:

They were always trying to yuck it up and be funny or clever, but it got kind of stale after a while. The one highlight that was truly funny was in the Long Way Round while they were in Russia. They had been told prior to avoid the Russian Mafia.......Well...... they got cornered into going to this shady character's posh digs (and he seemed creepy friendly) and there were assault rifles everywhere. The boys were genuinely scared sh_tless.:lmao:

It was interesting at points, but they should have cleaned it up for public viewing ... All the F-bombs were excessive and unnecessary. And they should have spent more time with on the road video.
Just my 2 cents