PDA

View Full Version : Diamo 150cc Retro Scooter-Thumbs Up!

gebe
12-21-2013, 04:39 PM
You know, I read all the time that Chinese scooters are total junk and from what little information I could find, I also read that the Diamo scooters were the junkiest of the junk!

I bought my Diamo 150cc used with 13,000 miles on it summer before last. I knew nothing about scooters as having owned only motorcycles since 1963 and sold my last one 2 winters ago.

I missed riding and I live very rural so I have limited access to scooters but when I saw an ad for the Diamo on Craig's List for what I thought was a decent price, ($950.00), I had to go check it out.

It was about an hour's drive from me and the owner's house was down a 2 mile super dusty, rut filled dirt road.

When I finally saw it, it looked to be in pretty good shape but needed a thorough cleaning. The battery was dead so the owner had to kick start it and after several kicks it started. I rode it around for a bit and it seemed to run pretty decently.

Now the previous owner was about 6' 2" tall and weighed about 250 lbs. and had driven the scooter to work for the last 1 1/2 years riding it up and down that dusty, rut filled 2 mile road and then another 10 miles one way back and forth to work every day and had been kick starting it all that time as he didn't want to spend the $35.00 for a new battery.

I told him I couldn't give him $950.00 for it and offered $650.00 and after dickering back and forth, he took the $650.00. My wife drove the car home and I rode the scooter the hour's ride back home. It ran great but as you know kick starting these things can be a real bear so I stopped at Walmart on the ride back and picked up a new battery.

When I got it home, I installed the new battery, changed the engine oil, adjusted the valves, cleaned the jets and the carb, adjusted the idle mixture and speed screw, adjusted the brakes and gave it a thorough cleaning. All of that was pretty straight forward but finding everything under all those body panels was a bear! :)

It ran like a champ until one day on the freeway doing about 60 mph, it just suddenly died and wouldn't start. I thought I may have blown the engine.

I got it trucked home it and tested it for spark and there was none. When I looked at the coil, the green wire's connector had snapped in half and was just dangling free. Some ham fisted mechanic or previous owner had forced the connector back on the coil and bent it.

After I installed a new connector, the scoot started right up and has ran perfectly for many, many enjoyable miles since.

I guess what I'm trying to say with all this is I bought a Chinese Diamo "junk" scooter and the thing has proven to be anything but junk. Just think what it had been through hauling a huge 250 lb. guy back and forth to work down one of the dustiest, rut filled roads you've ever seen and after all those hard miles it still purrs like a kitten and runs like new.

I know Chinese scooters are hit and miss but I sure scored a hit and long live my Diamo scooter! :)

qwertydude
12-21-2013, 07:23 PM
You've just experienced what I've known. When buying a Chinese scooter it's actually somewhat beneficial to buy a used one with a few thousand miles on it.

The reason being is that Chinese scooters when bought new invariably have a pretty high rate of being lemons. After a few thousand miles the previous owner either fixes all the problems that crop up or they just junk the scooter. So when looking for a used scooter one that works well is the one that's had all its bugs worked out for you already.

gebe
12-22-2013, 01:59 PM
You've just experienced what I've known. When buying a Chinese scooter it's actually somewhat beneficial to buy a used one with a few thousand miles on it.

The reason being is that Chinese scooters when bought new invariably have a pretty high rate of being lemons. After a few thousand miles the previous owner either fixes all the problems that crop up or they just junk the scooter. So when looking for a used scooter one that works well is the one that's had all its bugs worked out for you already.

I couldn't agree more qwertydude. Even though this scooter had 13,000 miles on it when I bought it, the 13,000 miles proved the bugs were worked out and it's a runner.

Admin
12-22-2013, 04:58 PM
Very interesting, thanks for sharing your story! :tup:

oldkid
12-23-2013, 09:34 AM
I've got 3 scooters. A Bali 150cc made by JMStar, and Mainstreet 300cc made by Linhai / Yamaha, and a Yamaha Majesty 400cc. I had a few electrical problems with the 150cc when it was new, but they were minor and have not had to fix anything, except a new battery on it in years. I'm amazed at the engineering that went into my little 150cc bike. I agree with the rest of you. You hear a lot about the riders who have problems, but most I think are a good buy.

gebe
12-23-2013, 03:28 PM
Very interesting, thanks for sharing your story! :tup:

You are very welcome and thanks for reading it! :)

spandi
12-23-2013, 04:44 PM
Good posting. You either got a good one (more than likely) or the previous owner "DeLemonized" it. :yay:

TrishABQ
01-26-2015, 11:56 AM
I have been reading with interest the postings from 2012 about the pluses and minuses of buying a Diamo Retro scooter. I own a 2005 Diamo Retro 150cc scooter with under 2K miles on it. It has been ridden very little obviously and covered, but does have some sun damage even with that. It is the purple color, has a trunk, under seat storage, theft device, expensive key fob with the fold out key & two extra keys. It has a new battery, all lights, etc. working, rides great. I just had new tubes and valve stems installed late last year and a brake job done. My question is, how much should I sell it for? I want to keep it if I can't get much for it, but the scooter interest here in the Southwest US is pretty high right now. Thank you for your help.

kz1000st
01-26-2015, 04:41 PM
Here, see for yourself.

http://www.kbb.com/motorcycles/diamo/retro-150/2005-diamo-retro-150/suggestedretailvalue/

$395 to $725.

TrishABQ
01-26-2015, 07:05 PM
Thank you for this quick reply. Much appreciated. I might just keep my scooter & scoot along, or sell if the price is right.

kz1000st
01-28-2015, 08:11 AM
Thank you for this quick reply. Much appreciated.

You're welcome. All part of the friendly service.

The GY6 is a totally under rated engine. It only requires sensible use and maintenance to last a good long time. There's a guy in Georgia who has an Automoto, a three wheeled scooter with a cab, that has 61,000 miles on it. His GY6 150cc is all original. He has other scooters for high speed duty and uses the GY6 only in places he will be doing 45 mph or less. He does about 100 miles a day commuting so he piles miles on his bikes. The bottom line with Chinese scooters in general is if you keep them at moderate speeds they last. If you beat on them, they're toast.

sc00ter
08-08-2018, 10:14 AM
IF memory serves me correct, Diamo scooters were never "junk" scooters. Like United Motors near their folding, which were Hyosung scooters rebranded United Motors, Diamo is a quality scooter under the panels. Just cant recall who they either purchased motors from or who they were affiliated with. Even Lance scooters are made by SYM. Even Tomos did a scooter line that was a Hyosung under the panels. Keep/catch all the service work up on the Diamo and it will give you many more miles of trouble free ownership. Its just the unknown name that scares people away.

kz1000st
08-08-2018, 03:15 PM
By way of information my Eagle (Bashan) Milano just passed ten years of age. I received it on July 30, 2008 and it hit the street on August 1st. Still runs, still starts quickly and still has original hoses and tire valves. I always treat it with kid gloves and I don't doubt I will be writing about it when it turns fifteen years old too. Maybe more.

Roscoe
08-09-2018, 02:39 PM
I suppose like most everything they shoot for a price point and profit margin. Quality costs more. If you take care of your scooter and don't abuse it you should get the maximum service life out it. Once I got the old ones I have running and the trouble spots taken care of they seem pretty dependable.

sc00ter
08-10-2018, 10:23 PM
Im sure everything on your Diamo is either still out there parts wise or cross compatible with something else. Just be aware of putting to much money into something not worth much money. Not being mean when I type that. A complete set of forks from another brand or model will not just bolt on. It will throw you steering geometry off and the handle bar cowling may never go back on correctly. Cross compatible may be your best option unless you find a parts scoot. Custom rear shocks are out there. Overall length, your general weight and what is on each end. I forgot the name of the company that makes them. Now, if the front wheel wobbles from an impact I would move on. If it was involved in any front end impact that causes a wheel wobble the frame may be bent. Please check it really well around the head stock! Overall its your decision. I mess with 50cc Yamaha 2 stroke Zuma's. And yes, I have dumped crazy money into these things knowing its about the love versus resale value. Oh, and what is your location ssmonse2018?

sc00ter
08-12-2018, 08:57 PM
I was going to liquid cool my pre-bug. Been down that road before and the first one (2001) was a wheelie machine AND super reliable! Loaned it out and it got stolen. Got outta scooters for awhile but have a 98 pre-bug now, and a Burgman 200 for a runner. Wife has a Honda Silverwing. Only gripe about my pre-bug is its pre-good forks and brakes. Always on the lookout for a 2000-2001, with the KYB forks and Brembo disc brake. You seem to be on the right track then. Thought you were a newbee and didnt want to see you risk life and limb on a damaged scooter! Have fun with the scooter. I dont do Fbook or any other social media, so update us later on this site.