PDA

View Full Version : CF Moto Glory Battery Cooks

spazfishy
12-14-2013, 08:50 AM
Hello, the battery on my cf moto glory keeps cooking over and over again. I noticed it right away a couple years ago since it was first ordered online. At first I thought it was some kind of cooling fluid that might have run down the side of my bike and eaten away the paint but later I realized my battery was toast. I have not done any changes to the scooter, no alarm no mods. For a while I tried trickle chargers because I thought the battery's were just dying because the bike was sitting unused to long but that doesn't not seam to be the case. Each battery I have used eventually was left completely drained of fluid so something must be cooking it.

Also, one thing to note. The bike runs horribly without a good charge. Is this bike not designed to run well this way? Clearly it does not have a kick starter and it does have efi but I figured it would still run good once jumped but that's not the case here.

Anyways, I was hoping for a good starting place as to what to test or to see if anyone has had this problem and can maybe tell me the cause.

Thanks

oldkid
12-14-2013, 01:28 PM
First, on my 150cc I once forgot and left one of the small Harbor Freight trickle charges connected for a week. It destroyed the battery when it cooked all the water from the AGM battery. So, I never use a trickly charger now. The Deltran Battery Tender Jr is what I use now. You can leave them hooked up all the time if you want.
Second, since you say your bike is fuel injected, it probably has a computer and lots of sensors to talk to the computer. My Yamaha Majesty is that way and most bikes or cars that have computer controlled EFI sytems need at least 10 volts. Below that, or if some of the sensors (like the temp sensor or speed sensor) fails, they go into limp back mode to get you home, but run poorly.
What I would do is make sure your charging system is working by watching the volt meter if you have one. Mine usually shows 13.5 to 14 volts when running at cruise speed. If you don't have one, run on the center stand with a volt meter hooked to the battery. If charging seems OK, your battery probably is bad.
Good luck.

airboatphil
12-14-2013, 06:22 PM
I have had a LOT better look with the Interstate brand of battery's for all of my vehichles/equipment ! This is a fact...not an opinion. But yes, be very careful with any battery charger...don not leave then plugged in 24/7. I dont care what the manufacture states that " it turns off " ? Please remind yourself to unplug the charger every night !

thumper650
12-15-2013, 04:15 PM
Check your voltage at the battery, Put a meter on it and rev the engine a little. It shouldn't go over 15 volts.
you might need a new rectifier/regulator.
A bad one will cook your battery easily.