PDA

View Full Version : Orlando, house of the mouse

Maddog
11-28-2013, 06:07 PM
Joined today,
Done with sport bikes,still like Supermoto for track days. The scoot seems to suit me for street riding. NSS 250. Will be hawking info to make it better than stock.

Gimpdog
11-29-2013, 10:05 AM
Welcome from NC! Glad you're here!! Hawk away for info!!

Admin
11-29-2013, 10:30 AM
Welcome, glad to have you! :)

Bob Shaw
12-01-2013, 06:34 PM
Welcome to the forum. I too have a NSS250, a 2005 model. And, like you, I would like to have a taller windshield. From what I hear, the standard Reflex windshield will fit the NSS, but, I don't want to pay Honda prices for it. I love my Honda and I've had it since late last year and have not had the plastic off of it. It only had 1,400 mile on it when I bought it. The guy laid it down, broke a couple of ribs and then was basically afraid to ride it. I laid it down in June when I hit the lane divider paint strip while braking hard. Minor damage to the scoot and road rash and sprained shoulder for me.

techie610
12-01-2013, 09:37 PM
Welcome to the Forums. :cheers:

Maddog
12-02-2013, 06:03 PM
Thanks for the welcome, was wondering just how much alike the Roketa 250 is. Or what current model uses the same motor and body?
I have seen that Givi makes a windscreen for the Reflex, they said their shield is 2-3 inches taller But they have that as a standard for all their windshield products.

Houndguy
12-02-2013, 07:54 PM
I'm not sure if they still have them but I think the Orlando Scooter Society used to have wrench nights. You may want to google them.

bandito2
12-04-2013, 01:15 AM
Not much available performance wise for the Reflex except for a big bore kit which brings the 249cc up to something near 270cc. (pretty much what the NSS300 Forza is now displacement wise) And a taller final drive gear set that usually gets installed with the BB kit. However, I have only heard of a couple US riders doing it and both ended up with toasted engines. Maybe they did something wrong or maybe the European version (that's where the kit comes from) of the Reflex NSS250(Jazz) has slightly different specs?.....who knows? Some have twiddled with jetting and different exhaust pipes with sound that was more pleasing to them but HP was not significantly increased. (though fuel consumption was!) The caveat here is that the catalytic converter is built into the standard muffler. I don't know of ANY after market mufflers that would be EPA compliant. Removing smog related equipment from vehicles is a no no as far as the EPA sees it. It may seem to be a low risk change, but you might run into trouble if discovered.

I have the taller Polini final drive gear set on one of my 4 Reflex scoots along with a taller tire so for given speeds, the RPMs will be lower. (lower RPMs means less fuel being used) This modification is being used in conjunction with a streamlined fairing I am building for my 2007 Reflex. (not done with it yet, but in the process.) Did a 200 mile test ride on the bike before stripping off the tupperware but was not impressed with the results. Maybe with the fairing it will be different. (better economy)

The taller tire has a bit of controversy because it is a car tire. I originated the use of a car tire on the Reflex way back in early June 2008. Successfully I might add, and several others have done the "Darkside" thing to their Reflex scooters as well since then. It seems it is not for everybody, but it is a viable option that has its benefits.

There are some that do mods to the variator by swapping out the moveable drive face of the variator with one from a Big Ruckus, removing just some of the rollers, using rollers of different weight than stock or using DR Pulley slider weights or a combination of these mods. Some have even experimented with Malossi variators and clutches with varying degrees of success.

With 4 Reflex scooters, 2001, 2004, 2006 and a 2007 you might say I'm familiar with the Reflex. A service manual helps with that.

And welcome to the forum.

Maddog
12-04-2013, 01:17 PM
Thanks all for the info.
Bandits, looks like you probably have this ride figured out. I've changed to the Big ruck variator and like the lighter weights. 70mph @ 7000rpm yealding 66 mpg. Would like more economy but afraid to bogg it with higher gear set. Was thinking about a change in exhaust as we don't have vehicle inspections and only very loud cycles draw cop issues. If the power seems to increase, I'll hit you up on what gear set to try.

hagedorn45
06-25-2014, 08:20 AM
Just bought a 2005 reflex and what a difference from that of the jcl 250 would like to try the ruckus variator is that just a matter of switching out the variators or is there something needed to be done with the trans and what roller weights would you use thanks