PDA

View Full Version : Rear tires....does cost matter?

Houndguy
11-03-2013, 09:14 PM
A few years ago when I owned my Burgman 400 I bought Pirelli Diablo tires because they were highly recommended by nearly everyone on the site.

Now I ride a Kymco Xciting 500 and I need a rear tire. I was going to by a Diablo but the cost is about $100 and it's more money then I want to spend right now.

I can by a Shinko for half that. The question is should I? :shrug:

Most of my driving is highway commuting (55 - 70 MPH/80 - 120 kmh :scoot:) in weather that will range for the mid 80's to the low 40's (25 - 7 C).

inuyasha
11-03-2013, 10:59 PM
Hi
I use Pirellis on all of my motorbikes
Tires are how you and the motorbike interact with the road surface and the only thing between you and it so I always go with the best imho tires that I can
Take care and ride safely my friend
Yours Hank

Houndguy
11-04-2013, 08:13 AM
Hi
I use Pirellis on all of my motorbikes
Tires are how you and the motorbike interact with the road surface and the only thing between you and it so I always go with the best imho tires that I can
Take care and ride safely my friend
Yours Hank

I've replaced the rear tire on my Kymco twice now. The first time was due to my picking up a nail (happens). The 2nd time is just wear. I used the moderately priced Dunlops the last time. I don't see much difference in performance between them and the Pirellis's I used to use.

I guess the better question is....what do most of us use? why?

techie610
11-05-2013, 07:17 PM
My favorite tire is a Michelin.
That said though, you get what you pay for.

On a side note, if one has a crappy tire, it doesn't matter how great the bike is, its not worth riding. And the same goes for cars as well. A good tire is as important as clean spark plug.

prodigit
11-05-2013, 07:35 PM
it's funny, because my ATM50's stock doughnut tiress have 5,5k km on them (just under 4k miles), and the front tire is looking like new new, even still has the rubber little thingies on!
The rear looks like it got 1/3rd to 1/4th of wear on it.

qwertydude
11-05-2013, 10:37 PM
Shinko is a pretty decent brand but I do have to warn you most of the Shinko's I've bought were sport oriented which means really short tire life. They do grip quite well though.

The Shinko SR568R is what I'm seeing and on Motorcycle Superstore and gets excellent reviews. I've used Shinko's on my sport bikes and on my small scooters before. One of the best budget brands out there.

On scooters though probably like my experience with big bikes and scooters is you get decent grip like the expensive tires, it just doesn't last as long. Reading the review you get a little more than half the life as on a Metzeler Feelfree. So being the Feelfree costs about twice as much but gets almost twice the life, then you have to factor in cost of installation and downtime and the Metzeler might actually be the better option.

Houndguy
11-07-2013, 09:08 AM
I bought the Shinko do to money being a little tight right now. I agree that the tire did get excellent reviews.

I think however that I made a mistake. For me it's a matter of tread life. I need a tire that will do more than 4K, which seems to be the average life of the Shinko. I will do 4K by the end of the year.

Lefty
11-08-2013, 08:01 PM
If you want longer thread life then you have to give up grip, you need harder rubber tires for longer thread life.
Lefty

Houndguy
11-09-2013, 09:07 AM
If you want longer thread life then you have to give up grip, you need harder rubber tires for longer thread life.
Lefty

See this is why I like forums like this. I have a question :hmm:, I get answers.

I use my bike nearly everyday for my commute. It's a combination of stop-n-go and highway. I will ride in "cold" weather and rain (riding in Florida we can get into the low 30's).

When I owned my Burgman the Pirelli Diabo's worked wonderfully. I'm trying to find the tire that will work best for me on the Kymco. :shrug:

Lefty
11-09-2013, 03:07 PM
Just be careful do not get tires that are to hard they will not hold making turns and or stopping when wet it will go down, Get something in between.
Lefty

bandito2
01-09-2014, 11:04 PM
I've replaced the rear tire on my Kymco twice now. The first time was due to my picking up a nail (happens). The 2nd time is just wear. I used the moderately priced Dunlops the last time. I don't see much difference in performance between them and the Pirellis's I used to use.

I guess the better question is....what do most of us use? why?

Don't mean to start too much trouble ;), but your bike sounds like a candidate for a 165/65R14 Sunny SN828 ($34.58) or Federal SS-675 ($43.70) car tire available from tires-easy.com

A Federal SS-675 145/70R12 tire was on my Honda Reflex for 35,000 miles before being changed. (and still could have gone a couple thousand miles more) $23 and change for the tire and $7 for shipping. I just couldn't go wrong on a tire that lasted 6X longer than the standard scooter tire.:yay:

For some, this is a controversial subject; some swear by it while others will just swear AT it. Get informed about both sides of the subject (pro - con) if you decide to consider it. It is something you might want to check into IMO.

Car tires do last far, far longer than scooter tires. I made a car tire pro-con list for another member and could send it if you'd like.

To be fair, I am biased in favor of the "Dark side". (using a car tire on the rear of a motorcycle/scooter) But fair enough (IMO) to admit some things that could honestly be considered negatives.

Originator of using a car tire on the Honda Reflex scooter since June 6, 2008

DaveC
01-09-2014, 11:13 PM
Beings as most of your riding is freeway at 120, a car tire may not be a bad idea

carasdad
01-10-2014, 08:09 AM
It all depends on what you value. My Adly TB 50 came with 130/70-12 Duro tires with a deep aggressive tread. 7,000 miles and barely any wear on the front...with slight wear on the rear. They are speed rated at 90mph..but I rarely go over 50.. While they look awesome and aggressive..the compound is very hard and during light rain they will easily loose traction in corners and while braking. A hard compound will last MUCH longer than a soft compound.. But I replaced them with Kenda 413 which are softer but do wear faster.. cause I find it more convenient and pleasant to replace tires than body parts. I would prefer the Pirelli's but like you..money tends to be an issue. From what I have read..the Kendas wear faster than the more costly Pirelli's..so in the end I will probably end up paying the same due to faster wear. But at least that way it does not cost me $110.00 per tire all at once.:tup:

Maddog
01-10-2014, 04:51 PM
I've gone to the "dark side" since the new year. 145SR12 Yokomama on the rear of my Reflex. Ridden in rain cold and severe windy conditions. Just across the state from you in Orlando. It's an easy way to get a final drive gear change and better fuel economy.

Pearl
02-05-2014, 12:11 AM
my one scooter has 10 000km on its rear duro tyre and still looks decent. I had to change the front one at 8000 km so personal experience with the Duro tyres has been good and they cheep equivalent to about $50 us fitted and all.

Irish
12-25-2014, 02:43 PM
Lefty,Not to change the subject but I just had to tell you that being 70 yrs old , your sign off of-You'll never be old & wise if you weren't young & crazy -really hits home! Irish

bandito2
01-05-2015, 05:30 PM
I've gone to the "dark side" since the new year. 145SR12 Yokomama on the rear of my Reflex. Ridden in rain cold and severe windy conditions. Just across the state from you in Orlando. It's an easy way to get a final drive gear change and better fuel economy.

It's been a year now... How has the Yokohama car tire worked out for you so far?
Any issues at all? Anything good to say about it? Other comments?

I came down from MI to Cedar Key FL for the New Year to be with a motorcycle/camping group and it is where I am now, but I'll be heading down to Collier-Seminole State Park near Naples FL tomorrow. (1-6-15) I have my 2006 Honda Reflex hanging off the rear of my truck. Did a little bit of local riding, but it has been cooler and more damp than I'd really like. Naples seems like a sunnier ride prospect. :scoot:

Hope I can get wifi somewhere there so I can post... If not, then I will when I get back to Michigan. I'll will try to take one last look here before I head out. (internet service has been intermittent here though)

Maddog
01-10-2015, 11:27 AM
Bandio, the Yokohama has 15000 mi on it and shows little wear. The ride characteristics are slightly different than a cycle tire but for a commuter this is the ticket. It will last forever and provides great stability especially with two up riding. Thanks for your pioneering efforts and information.