PDA

View Full Version : Prioritizing upgrades to 50cc GY6

rsfluffy
11-02-2013, 06:51 AM
First off, I'm looking for more torque/ hill climbing power not top speed nor acceleration. If those improve as well, so much the better.

So, what mods would you make and in what order?

The first thing I'm going to do is install a tach, so that I can really test any mods and not blow this puppy up.

After that I'm not sure where I can get the most bang for the buck.

BTW, a big bore kit is not an option, I'd like to appear legal at the very least.

buford1488
11-02-2013, 10:27 AM
i think that if you want noticeable torque and up hill climbing will be with a bbk and big valve head from scrappy. you wont have to mess with the gearing if you just want hill climbing. and as you all know the heads are done by me so i can tell you from experience and from other people that were looking for torque....not trying to sell ya anything just keep'in it real.....and thanks to every one my shop is open'ed....thank..........buford.....have fun...

inuyasha
11-02-2013, 10:31 AM
Hi
I agree with Buford a BBK is the best option the mods you have listed in your poll will only do well as a compliment to the bbk, without it they wont do much performance wise
Take care and ride safely
Yours Hank

rsfluffy
11-02-2013, 10:59 AM
Thanx

Sorry for being such a newb, but by 'BBK' you mean what? A big block kit?

inuyasha
11-02-2013, 11:09 AM
Thanx

Sorry for being such a newb, but by 'BBK' you mean what? A big block kit?
Hi
Big bore kit
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCaWK-wIFDA
Take care and ride safely
Yours Hank

buford1488
11-02-2013, 01:29 PM
http://www.scrappydogscooters.com/Performance.html .................scroll on down the page....

jbcoasty
11-02-2013, 01:40 PM
I got the 80 bbk from scrappy dogs and it still looks legal a uni foam filter and *95 jet $69 for the bbk was well worth the price

skuttadawg
11-09-2013, 12:27 AM
Yes a BBK is the best way to get more power . I would get an impact driver to remove the variator and weigh the roller weights you have . My 4T ( 4 stroke ) came with 8 gram rollers and I replaced with 5 gram rollers and wow take off and up hill were so much better . The small scoot are already too lean so a size or two larger main jet ( 5 bucks ) will help a lot . I would go ahead and get a jet kit so you will have many sizes to pick from and keep the larger ones for if you decide to go with a BBK later . Sometimes replacing the torque ( also called contra ) spring with a stiffer one has helped some go up hill faster along with lighter rollers . Some carbs are sealed so the air/fuel screw is covered and the needle may not have a clip to adjust its position . There is more than one type so look here to see 4 types of carbs some use http://www.partsforscooters.com/Street-Scooter-Carburetors-and-Parts When looking for parts forget the brand and model but instead go by the engine which most GY6 50s are a 139QMB engine . Scrappydog has a 80cc crate engine assembled with the CVT in tack so you just unbolt your case and replace it . This is easier and less chance of a mistake if you rebuild the engine which is very easy to do