PDA

View Full Version : New member with a starting issue.

Just in time
10-30-2013, 05:24 PM
Hey guy's, I just bought a flooded 2006 Bandit 250xs (never heard of the brand) with the Linhai engine from NJ. it gets here and someone had filled the engine with diesel to keep it from seizing. I took off the carb (toasted) changed the ign coil. I've been trying to start it, but have to connect power to the starter, because I dont think the controls work. now I'm getting a good spark, the engine has compression, and spraying starting fluid in the intake and nothing. Could someone point me in the right direction?

techie610
10-31-2013, 01:08 PM
Welcome to the Forums. :cheers:
Have you checked for spark, valve lashings, or timing?

Guest_3
10-31-2013, 01:13 PM
Welcome to SD. :cheers:

I've been trying to start it, but have to connect power to the starter, because I dont think the controls work.Is the main fuse good ??.

Just in time
10-31-2013, 04:59 PM
Welcome to SD. :cheers:

Is the main fuse good ??.

i have it hard wired. I am getting spark.

Just in time
10-31-2013, 05:00 PM
Welcome to the Forums. :cheers:
Have you checked for spark, valve lashings, or timing?

Spark I have, timing I dont know how to check, and ditto on the lashings.

today i got it to run fur about 2 seconds.

Just in time
10-31-2013, 05:05 PM
should i take the motor apart and cleaned?

techie610
11-01-2013, 04:56 PM
Probably not..
Take the valve cover off. You should see the rocker arms, cam shaft, and a bit of the chain. You'll need a set of feeler gauges. loosen the nuts at the end of the rocker arms. The square ended nuts are the valve clearances.
Unscrew them a turn, set or feeler under it, and tighten it down to where the square nut just grabs the gauge. Hold it still as you tight the lock nut.

For spark check, pull off the plug boot, stick a screwdriver in the boot and put it close to the frame. Hitting the electric start, you should see the spark jump. Make sure your holding the driver handle, and not the frame either.

Lefty
11-10-2013, 11:29 PM
The linhai motor has a valve cover on the top for the intake valve and one on the bottom for the exhaust.
Here is how to get to them and how to adjust them: Set the Top Intake to .004 inchs and the bottom exhaust to .006 inchs.
Lefty
http://www.chinesescooterreference.com/jr/Linhai_Valve_Adjustment.pdf