PDA

View Full Version : 12V outlet

Castle_Rock
10-19-2013, 07:35 PM
I've heard many pros n cons for adding a outlet especially to a scooter, but I would like one installed that activates only when the ignition is on - not wired directly to the battery.

I've searched this board, but didn't find any posts - can anyone recommend a decent plug?

Thanks.

Guest_3
10-19-2013, 08:30 PM
I hooked mine to the radio hot wire. It only works with the key on. :tup:

oldkid
10-21-2013, 09:23 AM
Unless you plan to install under the seat or another protected area, you will need a water proof type. I used a marine type that was made to be used outside. Nothing to rust and has a plug in seal when not needed. I did want mine to be active all the time so I could plug in my Battery Tender so I hooked directly to the battery with a fuse near the connection.
I guess if I wanted it to only be active with the bike running, I would choose the power that runs the horn. It's usually a large enough wire, and should have power with switch on. The horn button usually only makes ground connection, but you should test to make sure.

Castle_Rock
10-23-2013, 05:45 AM
I browsed harbor freight freight's site but only see the alligator clip type which would be fine - though it is not waterproof. The nearest store is Half an hour away either direction. Maybe they carry something in store.

prodigit
10-23-2013, 07:18 AM
glove compartment is the best place to install a cig lighter plug.
because:
1- right next to the contact/ignition switch, where you can directly tap off the correct wire
2- Dry
3- Not immediately visible, so you won't see it easily if you did a lousy job at drilling the plastic :)
4- Close by dash in case you want to install a GPS and don't have a long USB cable with you
5- In case you do have long wiring, you can keep most wiring within the glove box, keeping your dash less cluttered with cables while riding
6- Quite nearby your head, in case you want to plug in an MP3 player
7- enough material to drill another hole in case you want to expand or try again :-)

Castle_Rock
11-06-2013, 11:00 AM
Unless you plan to install under the seat or another protected area, you will need a water proof type. I used a marine type that was made to be used outside. Nothing to rust and has a plug in seal when not needed. I did want mine to be active all the time so I could plug in my Battery Tender so I hooked directly to the battery with a fuse near the connection.
I guess if I wanted it to only be active with the bike running, I would choose the power that runs the horn. It's usually a large enough wire, and should have power with switch on. The horn button usually only makes ground connection, but you should test to make sure.

Ok, I will see about doing that - running it to the horn is a good idea
Thanks

Castle_Rock
11-09-2013, 05:18 PM
I got the outlet installed in the glovebox and it does work (I tapped into the black wire for the horn) and it turns on when the key is on - however I think it may be overloading the circuit as it seems to disable the horn, turn lights, brake lights etc after I did a test without actually starting the bike. If I remove the outlet from the black wire, it seems to restore power but it takes about 5min or so.

The outlet kit only had a 7in wires, but I ended up getting an extension gauge wire to expand.

Lefty
11-09-2013, 07:39 PM
Make sure the outlets ground wire has a good ground.
Lefty

Castle_Rock
11-10-2013, 02:54 PM
Yup, it must've been a bad ground - but I got an extended gauge wire to expand the positive and added a switch so it don't need to be on or initiated at every ride.
http://imageshack.us/a/img812/2420/u0k4.jpg

Overall I'm a happy camper now.

Lefty
11-10-2013, 03:04 PM
FANTASTIC!! Good Job, and an easy fix to boot.
Lefty