PDA

View Full Version : Underseat key cylinder replacement

Castle_Rock
10-08-2013, 09:09 PM
I have a Roketa 150cc scoot - and the key broke in the cylinder - I guess there was either too much tension in the lock or the key was made less quality than average car keys - but is there a good replacement for that cylinder? My gas tank filler is inside the compartment, but I can still access the storage by using what's left of the key to open.

Also the oil release bolt is stripped - if the same applies with Chinese scoots that you turn counter-clockwise to remove, it was on tight as if a gorilla put it on. i had used a gator-grip socket with the pins in it, that might not have been smart, but now will use the standard socket sets. Any sugg. on removing that?

I am in midst of replacing alot of the stock components as well.

Thanks,
Nick

blueboy5000
10-09-2013, 01:29 PM
Unfortunately, there isn't a better quality lock available. To remove the old lock, first take out the bucket, then carefully remove the cable from the latch and slide the mounting shim off of the lock. It's pretty easy to fix.

As for the oil drain, always use the correct sized socket and a 3/8 or 12" drive ratchet. Do not tighten the plug back in as tight as it is now, it should only be tight enough to not shake out. When you have the oil drain plug removed, take it to an autoparts store and get a new o-ring, as yours will be deformed if it is excessively tight

Castle_Rock
10-10-2013, 07:43 PM
Hi and thanks for your response - I did get the bolt for the oil off and ordered a replacement - I wasn't aware that you had to turn clockwise to remove it - The bike is brand new with only 81 miles on it.

I'll work on the lock - I need to get a spare key made out as I'm down to just the one now.

Thanks again
Nick

blueboy5000
10-11-2013, 08:08 AM
My seat latch lock broke on the third day I had the bike.

We have the same bike! :D

skuttadawg
10-12-2013, 03:25 AM
Key sets by body type http://www.scrappydogscooters.com/CHASSIS_PARTS.html For a better quality key use this blank Ilco X84 HD74 which is an old Honda blank . I tried several cheap places to get a spare made but they all said they did not have one or were too lazy . Luckily there is a super hardware store nearby with a key guru who has 8xs the selection of blanks but charges 5 bucks instead 2 . I got keys without the plastic tip so they fit in my wallet as an emergency key . Yes the China metal is waaaaaaaaaay softer than American steel by far

Castle_Rock
10-12-2013, 08:15 PM
Thanks, this is now resolved!

I will check out the blank keys - thanks!