PDA

View Full Version : 2012 tao tao cy50 T3 help

BigDaddyBigOl'D
10-07-2013, 10:51 PM
Hey guys im new to this forum. I have a black 2012 tao tao cy50 T3 and im wondering what I can do to make it a little faster. Let me start off by saying I love this thing and its a blast to drive, well at least when nobody else is on the road haha. That's why im asking this. I bought it from a guy off craigslist for really cheap due it not being in running condition. The seller told me he thought the carb needed to be cleaned since it had been parked for so long and he just didn't need it anymore so he threw it my way for $400. Well I brought it to my buddy and we found out that you cant actually take the carb apart due to some sort of tamper resistant screws in it, the only thing we could do was run a carb cleaner through where the hoses plugged into it. Turns out the carb was perfectly fine but it still wouldn't run so we started tearing her apart to find our problem. He did most to all of the work since I know little to none about scooters. We found out that the original owner had tried to put a big bore kit on it but ruined the install, so I went on ebay and purchased a 100cc big bore kit and we threw it on. It worked fine. Now I don't know what I was expecting for its performance but when I took it for a test ride/ top speed run I imagine it was about what a stock 50cc would do. I mean this thing was slow! Hows that possible after we practically doubled the engine displacement? Granted the speedometer doesn't work on it but if I had to eyeball it at full throttle id honestly say it was only playing with 30mph, at full throttle! Any help? Ideas? Ive done a ton of research for increasing acceleration and power for my specific scooter, and there are tons and tons of information and suggestions for the 50cc cy50 T3 but mine is now a 100cc so I didn't think they applied since its not the same engine anymore. Ive heard bigger jets a lot but aren't those inside the carb? We couldn't take it apart. Im 6 foot 185 pounds if it helps. Sorry for making this post so long I just wanted to include the entire story to give as much info as possible.

Guest_3
10-07-2013, 10:56 PM
Welcome to SD. :cheers:

Did you also re-jet the carb ??.

You can't run a 50cc stock carb on a 100cc bore kit without re-jetting it.

BigDaddyBigOl'D
10-08-2013, 12:33 AM
I appreciate the welcome and the reply! :cheers:

I just looked up videos on youtube about re jetting and it seemed simple enough. I remember it seemed that the screws on my carb didn't have heads which is why we couldn't take it fully apart. Ill have to check up on that tomorrow. Is there anything else I need to do?

bloodymomo
10-08-2013, 02:47 AM
Get a dremel with a cut off wheel and slit the screws, I did this to mine

And it worked likeva charm

BigDaddyBigOl'D
10-08-2013, 01:24 PM
Yeah that's a good idea. Thank you. I just checked and theres definitely no heads on the carb screws. It almost looks like theyre pins. That's really strange but hey it is what it is.

Guest_3
10-08-2013, 01:34 PM
Did the 100cc big bore kit come with recommendations on what size jets you should use ??.

If not, call whoever you got the kit from and ask them.

I'd hate to see you cook your engine from running it too lean. :s

BigDaddyBigOl'D
10-09-2013, 07:24 PM
Just contacted the seller and said to use a 90 jet. Not sure why it didn't come with the kit but its all good. Guess ill order that and then cut some flathead slots in the screws when it gets here.

BigDaddyBigOl'D
10-10-2013, 06:38 AM
Just to be clear a bigger jet is fine, I don't actually need to buy a newer carb do I?

Guest_3
10-10-2013, 12:28 PM
No, just put the 90 jet in and see what happens. :)