PDA

View Full Version : belray-semi-synthetic oil

dwint51
10-03-2013, 06:59 PM
I bought a liter of this today but still running the walmart brand till it runs out.my scooter runs great but smokes alittle so I was wondering if this oil is any good?anybody use this oil?do you like it?

skuttadawg
10-04-2013, 03:00 AM
When I was 14 and had pedal mopeds I used weedeater stuff that left a com trail . I later bought a Honda CR80 a motorcross bike and a buddy told me about Bel Ray MC1 full synthetic and NGK iridium sparkplug . I already knew NGK is the only brand to use on motorcycles but did not know about iridium or synthetic premium 2T oils . I bought both and wow he was right as it started and ran better and only smoked at start up with only a lil a times where the weedeater always smoked and I would have the to clean off the oil build up off of the spark plug . I am using BelRay 10w40 in my Echarm in the engine and tranny . Mine uses motor oil instead of GL5 which is 80w90 like most do .

NEVER get Lucas synthetic blended 2T oil as it sucks and seperates instead of staying mixed . I like to use Maxxima 2T Pro Synthetic blend since it is safe to use for an oil injector as some 2T oil is thicker and premix only . It costs around 10 a quart where I live . I have also used Motul 710 full synthetic with boric ester which felt slicker when I put a bit on my finger tips and rubbed them together but cost me 17 a quart and only two places in town sell it .

The premium oils mostly smoke at start up and when its cold unlike the cheap stuff that always does but with the cheap stuff if you see smoke you know its getting oil . Premium oil it runs better but does not make you go faster . To me its worth a few bucks extra to get good oil since its cheaper and easier than an engine rebuild .

I use a NGKBRP8HIX sparkplug . Some opt for the 7 in that model which is a hotter plug

dwint51
10-04-2013, 08:19 AM
ok thanks,i haven't used belray in like 30 years.i know its a good brand and its common with dirt bikes so ill see what happens when I use it.i still don't understand why they call it semi synthetic

dwint51
10-04-2013, 08:24 AM
I just looked it up and semi synthetic has 30% synthetic mixed with crude oil.next time ill buy full synthetic.it has to be better then the walmart junk