PDA

View Full Version : idle issues

Pearl
09-27-2013, 06:12 AM
hi guys I have a strange issue with my linhai 260 scooter. when I come to a stop it idles very low and then cuts out however if I blip the throttle the revs rise and it will then hold a faster idle by itself?
any ideas what the issue may be

bhinch
09-27-2013, 11:33 AM
At what speed is the idle....my scoot idles at 1800-2000 and has a happy life at that speed. The scooter should idle on the center stand with the rear wheel just trying to turn. I installed a manual choke on the scoot and that fixed the random idle prob.

Pearl
09-27-2013, 01:07 PM
thanks for the reply. the idle speed on the centre stand varies between the wheel not turning and then bliping the throttle once sends the wheel spinning at a hell of a rate. the prev owner had the auto choke un plugged which leads me to believe that it may be in issue. currently the choke is unplugged.

thumper650
09-27-2013, 06:35 PM
If the choke is unplugged, you're always choking the engine. At least on the bikes I've owned.

skuttadawg
09-28-2013, 12:39 AM
How many miles on it ? Ever adjusted the valves ? Most valves get too tight where they do not open up enough making it hard to or unable to start as well as stall when warm . My Echarm got to where it would want to stall just before coming to a stop around 2,200 miles even with Ducatti EFI instead of a carb . Reset the valves and 16k miles later it still runs as good as when I bought it . All 4T scooters will need the valves adjusted at least once with some needing it done right out of the crate

Pearl
09-28-2013, 04:02 AM
she has just under 5000 miles on it. I did think of valves but in the morning fires right up at the push of the button with no throttle needed so not sure. but should find a mechanic and maybe ask him to re check the valves. my wrenching is somewhat limited to oil and air cleaner changes lol
just had a thought to check out the fuel filter? now to find it hmmm

bhinch
09-28-2013, 04:59 AM
The valves need to be adjusted..The intake is set a .004 and the exhaust is .006. I have over 10,000 miles on my scoot and the valves have been adjusted once. Then the idle can be set and your bike will be happy.

Pearl
09-28-2013, 04:07 PM
thanks for the advice on this. I re connected the auto choke, changed the plug which was very black and sprayed a can of good carb cleaner through the system. went for a ride and so far seems to be better so let's see if it holds if not will set the valves. thanks for the valve specs bhinch

Pearl
09-30-2013, 07:17 AM
my home fix failed. Off to mechanic on Wednesday

Pearl
10-03-2013, 03:44 AM
well its all fixed now. a carburettor service and new auto choke sorted out the problem and runs beautifully now. the temp gauge was just a loose wire and with cv cleaned out and clutch sanded the transmission is smoother and feels more engaged.