PDA

View Full Version : A friend of a friend's Harley (warning rant!!!))

Houndguy
09-20-2013, 11:43 AM
A buddy of mine twice removed is selling his 2000 all chromed out wide glide with only 18K on it.

I don't understand how some "bikers" manage to only put only 1,300 miles a year on a bike. Yet somehow I am less of a "biker" for riding a scooter and putting on over 10K a year?

Has anyone else noticed how these low mileage bikes tend to be Harley's?:hehe:

OK...rant over.

Gimpdog
09-20-2013, 12:43 PM
Hahaha! Never quite thought of that idea quite like that way....

Guest_3
09-20-2013, 01:02 PM
I know a few people that unhooked their speedo for the first year.

Rode the snot out of it, then when the newness wore off hooked it back up.

Gimpdog
09-20-2013, 01:35 PM
Well, I know my neighbor trailers his Harleys to all his events... Doesn't want to "put all those miles on them..." I tease him about not wanting to sit on that seat for all those miles, LOL.

Houndguy
09-20-2013, 10:00 PM
Well, I know my neighbor trailers his Harleys to all his events... Doesn't want to "put all those miles on them..." I tease him about not wanting to sit on that seat for all those miles, LOL.

Which is kind of my point. Why own a bike if you don't ride it? :shrug:

spandi
09-20-2013, 10:10 PM
Stop me if you've heard this one before. But I used to drop into the Honda shop back when I had an 125 Elite. It would crack me up to see big touring and other large cc bikes for sale with roughly 3000 miles on them tops, while my little scoot had over 12K on the odometer :hehe:

qwertydude
09-21-2013, 01:18 AM
Chromed out Harley's are for lookin' not for ridin' duh.

amac1680
09-21-2013, 05:48 AM
I see it ever year when those headed to Bikefest or Biktoberfest come thru town. HDs of every kind on trailers. Sure if you're coming from The Great White North I get it but so many of them have warm weather states on the plates.

Be Big,
AMAC

inuyasha
09-21-2013, 04:40 PM
Hi
I only put about 200 to 300 miles a year on my Indian unless i go to the big rallies
http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6119/6245493702_2b133a7c12_o.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/67070952@N06/6245493702/)
indian (http://www.flickr.com/photos/67070952@N06/6245493702/) by inuyasha50 (http://www.flickr.com/people/67070952@N06/), on Flickr
Its a bike for shows and the big rallies mostly and i dont go every year to them
Take care and ride safely my friend
Yours Hank

buford1488
09-22-2013, 08:39 AM
c-mon dont hate................

amac1680
09-22-2013, 10:46 AM
Not hating, been there !
My Nightster. I did a DNA trike conversion but as the body failed I could no longer shit or brake with foot so she had to go.

http://scooter-gimp.smugmug.com/MISC/i-LgdqKWF/0/M/image-M.jpg

Long live twist-n-go scoots.

Be Big,
AMAC

Bob Shaw
09-29-2013, 07:50 PM
I winter in an "over 55 park" in central Florida, and during the winter, the Gold Wings and the Harleys generally sit, unless they are going on an organized ride. They never use them to run down to the grocery store or to Walmart. My little TaoTao, and last year my Reflex, was on the go a lot. And when I went to Walmart the bikes I saw there were scoots. I even rigged a way to carry my fishing rod, and went to the lake or over to Arbuckle Creek to fish. Never saw a Harley or Goldwing being used to carry fishing rods.

I guess it's just a different class of riding.

novaraptor
09-30-2013, 05:30 PM
And with the Harleys, you don't have the time to put on a lot of miles. It can take hours to put the pirate costume on to run to the local bar..

scootnwinn
09-30-2013, 08:00 PM
I particularly like to see the live to ride plates and stickers on all the cages I ride past every morning on the way to work. If they live to ride why do they need the sign? They could just ride their bike every day and the labels would be unnecessary.

Gimpdog
09-30-2013, 08:32 PM
Yeah, well I heard that you ain't really living when you have to go to work, period, LOL!!!

Irish
03-20-2015, 11:55 AM
I recently traded in my 250cc Road Warrior for a 2006 Harley Sportster 1200 w/ a Trike Kit & you'll never see it trailered anywhere! I also take it to Wal*Mart & the other stores. One thing that I've noticed on this site is that everyone says that Harley riders are prejudiced against Scooters. It seems to me that it's the other way around. Everyone is riding & that's what counts! Can't we all just get along? Anger is the wind that blows out the light of the mind! Irish

Houndguy
03-20-2015, 11:32 PM
I don't think it's just us Irish. In a lot of the that I belong to (Rounders - year round riders) and reading about various long distance riders and such. Harleys are generally seen as sh*t and "garage queens".

Seems the serious riders are on BMW's, Honda's and scooters. Yes, scooters.

Scooters tend to be the ones in the rain and being ridden every day. That's tough.

zumaguy123
03-21-2015, 09:14 AM
Yeah I think you're the exception Irish. Other than the local HA chapter, the Harleys don't come out around here until the weekend (and only then when its warm and sunny). And even then you'll see some of em being hauled around on trailers. Sorta like the stretched Japanese bikes that have become popular in my city--they are warm and sunny weekend riders.

Personally, I think of riding a Harley as a hobby or a cool accessory for going to a club or bar (if you're into that kind of thing), or something for a Saturday/Sunday afternoon ride with your Harley buddies. They are cool but not very practical for shooting to the store for a jug of milk, ya know?

And then of course probably 99.9% of Harley guys (and pretty much everyone else on motorcycles) are prejudiced against scooters (but this could also be said about most people in America, especially in my state and others where they are regarded as "liquor-cycles"). Not that I particularly care, just saying. There's been probably hundreds of times when I'd be coming head-on towards someone on a motorcycle and see them start to throw the motorcycle hand signal or wave and then quickly take their hand back when they realize its a scooter lol. Its all good though.

rlshepard
03-21-2015, 11:59 PM
A guy I work with rides a Harley, he is constantly giving me grief. Now he goes home at lunch on nice warm sunny days and comes back on his Harley.

Now I'm not hardcore by any stretch, below 35 or rain and I'll head for the 4 wheel enclosed vehicle. His excuse is he can't fire his Harley up that early in the morning or his neighbors get upset... :hmm: :scoot:

I do get the waves and nod from other bikes around town even a few of the Harley guys but more often then not, I get subbed by the Harley guys.

It's all good though, starting to see a lot more scoots around... :clap:

wheelbender6
03-22-2015, 02:12 PM
A lot of guys that buy the big bikes cannot do the daily commute on them due to weather or the circumstances of their job. My old boss has a street glide but would not commute on it because he hated freeway riding.
In my many commutes through, around and across Houston, I have seen many Harley, BMW and Gold Wing riders that commute daily in all but the most treacherous weather.
Most sportsters have the small peanut tank, but they still have as much range as my 125cc scoot.