PDA

View Full Version : From So Cal (La Habra), new Puma Falcon and I need info

Robbro19
09-13-2013, 01:36 PM
Hey peoples, I got a black 2013 Puma Falcon 150cc and I love it so far. Have about 200 miles on it. Only issue is when I start it first thing in the morning after it sat in the garage over night, it dies out when idling. I have to roll the throttle several times while warming up or it will die and I have to start it again. I dont think its the battery as I have it hooked up to a tender to keep the battery fully charged. It always starts up fast but after about a minute, it starts to dies and then it does.

After its fully warmed up when riding around, its fine. Just annoying how I have to keep rolling the throttle in the morning to keep it from dying. Any help would be greatly appreicated! I have a 5 year warranty but would rather just try to do it myself as I want to learn.

I'm new to scooters/motorcycles and dont know a whole lot of lingo and parts name. I barely found out what a carburator does after doing research, lol. Please send me in the right direction with links and teach the basic and such as parts, what they do and pictures. I really want to learn all about a scooter mechanically should something come up that I need to fit. Thanks for your time peoples! :-)

techie610
09-13-2013, 02:09 PM
First, welcome to the Forums. :D
I have the 2007 Sportiva Falcon 150. Love her to death. Great bike.

It may be doing that just cause its new, and hasn't been broke in yet. Give it some miles before thinking something is wrong. Around 500 miles, change the oil and spark plug. Both are real easy to do. A little bit more into it, but must be done, is a Valve Lashing.
If your problem continues, you might need to change the jets in the Carb. Most Scootists do go up a few sizes.
If you want to take a day, tinkering and learning, open the CVT case. That's the Trans, behind the kickstart( If you have 1 ). Its real easy, but there are quite a few parts to it. There, you can find out what weights you have, size of your belt, and lean how the Variator and Clutch set up

Robbro19
09-13-2013, 03:28 PM
Sweet thanks. The dealership said to come in at about 300 miles for the break in period to change out all the oils (cheap chinese stuff) and put better synthetic stuff. Didn't mention about the spark plugs however. I'll ask them about valve lashing what ever that is, I'll up it up. Yeah I have a kick start. Might open it up and see whats behind there. Not sure what weights are, but hey thats why theres this thing called the internet, lol. Thanks Techie610, you seem very knowlwdgeable, I'll PM you and pick your brain should something come up, thanks again

techie610
09-13-2013, 04:55 PM
No problem, dude. That's why these forums are here. :)
Under the CVT case, on the left, if you pull the nut off, the front drive face will come off. Fallowed by the belt, rear face, and ramp plate. Between the ramp plate and rear drive face, there will be 6 little roller weights. Probably weighting in around 15-17 grams. You can change those later. But its good to get familiar with the way everything goes together, properly, before something bad happens.

Guest_3
09-13-2013, 06:01 PM
Welcome to ScootDawg. :cheers:

wheelbender6
09-13-2013, 06:49 PM
Welcome to the forum. I lived on the left coast for about five years in my younger days.

Gimpdog
09-13-2013, 07:15 PM
Welcome from N Carolina!!

Admin
09-14-2013, 02:00 PM
Welcome to SD! :tup:

bhinch
09-15-2013, 06:17 AM
Welcome....Enjoy Your Ride...