PDA

View Full Version : I need a few more miles per hour!

rockie
09-12-2013, 05:19 PM
:shrug:I have a 2011 Jonway 150. Everything is just the way I bought it, (new). I find that I could use a few more miles per hour, 5-10. I want to achieve this without putting any extra strain on my motor. What do I need to do to accomplish this. Thanks, I know I'll get lots of good answers.

inuyasha
09-12-2013, 05:25 PM
Hi
You may be able to gain a few mph by changing your rollers for sliders or even changing the weight for heavier ones
The best and most accepted way is to change your main gearing
Take care and ride safely my friend
Yours Hank

prodigit
09-12-2013, 10:01 PM
Heavier rollers or sliders really depend if the engine can pull the bike at a certain speed. If it's doing 3k RPM @50MPH it might be better to get lighter rollers, so the engine can develop more torque.
If it's doing 7,5k RPM @ 40MPH, then you need heavier rollers, or the engine needs to rev too high to go faster.

You could see if you can improve airflow, by getting an open air filter; then rejet the carb.

Sometimes BP Premium fuel gives a performance edge over other fuels.

Also, if it's getting cold where you live, get lighter engine oil, like 5W30 instead of 10W40.

You could also get rid of the trunk if you have any, get rid of the windshield, and duck forward when riding.

if you're getting ~55MPH out of your 150cc you're basically on the speed limit of these Chinese engines.

skuttadawg
09-13-2013, 01:37 AM
First thing I would try a size or two larger main jet and buy a jet kit instead of paying per jet price like this kit http://www.partsforscooters.com/114-48-Main-Jet-Kit-CVK?sc=34&category=133078 Most of us do this first off .

How fast does it go ? How many miles are on it ? Ever had the valves adjusted ?

Prodigit is right as if its screaming at top end then even half a gram heavier would as well as if it is not redlining lighter weights would help .

I had a used Geo Metro with over 100k miles so instead of using 10w30 I tried 20w50 and man it did not perform as good . I drained it and went with 10w40 and it was way better . I opted for thicker oil since it had so many miles on it .

A performance variator often has steeper ramps and a larger diameter and has more top end .

My Echarm topped a 65 new and 70 after broken in . I replaced the 12.2 rollers with 12g DR Pulley sliders and gained 5 more MPH .

This place only sells GY6 parts and has performance goodies like high compression piston kits and more http://scooterelements.ecrater.com/ More compression means more horse power .

I would skip the open airfilter since it means no riding in the rain . Many drill two holes in the airbox and rejet to get more flow and still prevent rain from getting into the carb and engine . A performance exhaust may have some gain and would also require rejetting which makes having the jet kit a great idea since you have the extras on hand if yo make mods

prodigit
09-13-2013, 01:46 AM
The airfilter really depends. On my Tao, it's hidden underneath the seat, and on my roketa it's near the front wheel.

On the Tao, I can put an open air filter, but not on the roketa, because of what you say, rain; as the rain would not touch the airfilter on the Tao, but does on the Roketa.

Both bikes are different in design than the Jonway though.

Gimpdog
09-13-2013, 02:17 AM
Can you use a bigger profile rear tire? Acceleration would be a bit slower, but it will give a little higher speed, which you want...

rockie
09-13-2013, 04:59 PM
Lets talk about the performance variator. Do I get a special one for a Jonway or are they easy to get? Were's the best place to get one? What about the exhaust, can I rig mine?

wheelbender6
09-13-2013, 06:01 PM
All good advice. I would try a taller rear tire first, changing your effective final drive ratio. Somebody on this site should be able to help you with the calcs for determining that tire size. The taller tire will likely require heavier (I think) weights in the CVT to prevent engine strain. There is just no guarantee of an increase in top speed without the gear ratio change provided by the taller tire.

Guest_3
09-13-2013, 06:25 PM
I could use a few more miles per hour, 5-10. I want to achieve this without putting any extra strain on my motor.

Hey Rockie, Just trade it in for a 250cc... problem solved. :hehe: . :D

wheelbender6
09-13-2013, 06:45 PM
Rockie - Check out this thread from another forum. He changed his final drives gears (and a bunch of other things), requiring a case split, and it hasn't worked out that well. its a long, detailed thread, but I think his biggest problem is that he changed too many things at one time, rather than making one change at the time and sorting out the bugs to determine the effectiveness.
I'm not telling you not to mod your existing scoot for speed. Set a budget and take your time in case a bigger engined scoot is the only thing that will reach your desired speed.
http://www.modernbuddy.com/forum/topic17276.html

rockie
09-13-2013, 07:34 PM
Rockie - Check out this thread from another forum. He changed his final drives gears (and a bunch of other things), requiring a case split, and it hasn't worked out that well. its a long, detailed thread, but I think his biggest problem is that he changed too many things at one time, rather than making one change at the time and sorting out the bugs to determine the effectiveness.
I'm not telling you not to mod your existing scoot for speed. Set a budget and take your time in case a bigger engined scoot is the only thing that will reach your desired speed.
http://www.modernbuddy.com/forum/topic17276.html

Wow:s I don't want to do all of that. I can go 60 according to the Chinese speedometer, but that's wide open. If I could get that without straining my motor, I would be real happy.

skuttadawg
09-13-2013, 09:55 PM
Here is a nitrous kit http://www.boostinductionsystems.com/bis-racing_home_046.htm

epyon96r
09-13-2013, 11:55 PM
final drive for sure, or possibly a cvt adjustment. like most stated. more power will only get you to red line quicker, but no top speed, or like me, get a larger tire! I just ordered my pirelli today

prodigit
09-14-2013, 01:38 AM
150cc's tuned to the bone will go 60MPH GPS verified.
Chances are your chinese 60MPH is actually 50 or 55 mph.
No way you can expect more out of it.
Another way to try to go faster is install pedals, and pedal along with the engine!

wheelbender6
09-14-2013, 10:26 AM
skuttadog - I hope somebody does a review on those Nitrous kits. I have seen them on EBay and it aroused my curiousity. There is no electronic control system on the kit, so it looks like you could really blow your motor if not used carefully.

qwertydude
09-14-2013, 12:07 PM
Dry nitrous kits on a carburetted motor is useless. Fuel injected it makes a slighty bit more sense but not for anything you'd want as a daily driver since you'd be so concerned about filling the nitrous tanks every time you want to shave a second of your 0 to 60 time.

The problem is if you try to run enough nitrous to add significant power you run lean and grenade your engine. So the only way to be able to take advantage of those few seconds of extra power is running blubberingly rich. That alone will cripple your bike's N/A power, foul plugs and make it run so terribly you'll yank that nitrous kits and go back to stock in a second.

Plus those little whip cream cartridges only provide a few seconds of power. What would be the point other than drag racing?

And actually on small engines the risk is high and reward so little in terms of power. The Fast and Furious really overhyped nitrous. The only way things go blurry and you feel the "power" is if you have a nitrous leak in the cabin and start inhaling the laughing gas.

rockie
09-14-2013, 05:43 PM
Tell me why. I see where people modify 50ccs to go 50 or so, but I am told that My 150cc modified to the bone can only go 50-55. I can already go 60 without any mods. Don't make sense to me. I will try the tire first, that sounds reasonable and the kind of answer I was looking for.

epyon96r
09-14-2013, 10:10 PM
does nos need a rejet?

skuttadawg
09-15-2013, 12:27 AM
Yes it is a dry system and you want to use EFI instead of a carb unless you had large main jets it would run lean and blow the piston

Gimpdog
09-15-2013, 10:24 AM
...The only way things go blurry and you feel the "power" is if you have a nitrous leak in the cabin and start inhaling the laughing gas.

Hahahaha. Now that was funny!!! Heeheeheehee....

prodigit
09-19-2013, 06:36 AM
Tell me why. I see where people modify 50ccs to go 50 or so, but I am told that My 150cc modified to the bone can only go 50-55. I can already go 60 without any mods. Don't make sense to me. I will try the tire first, that sounds reasonable and the kind of answer I was looking for.

If your 150cc is a taotao, then where the number 60 is, is actually 55MPH GPS verified.
I got confused there too.

I took my bee-hach out on a ride tailgating a truck and got upto 65MPH, with the engine cutting out at 9,100 RPM (or something; false contact, or rev limited?)
Once away from the truck, my speed dropped back to 8k RPM, or 60MPH.
I may try to get heavier sliders again, to get that top speed at 7,5k RPM again, but those sliders usually don't last long. you either overgear the bike, so it can run well for a few months, or you gear the bike right, but as soon as the sliders/rollers wear out, it over revs again (usually in a few months of riding).

I'm actually thinking I should check up on my stock belt, before it breaks.

blueboy5000
09-20-2013, 08:16 AM

Because the non-BBk'ed 50's DON'T go 50mph! Hell, even a fully modded BBK'ed to 83cc doesn't do 50mph. People serious have no idea. Many times I have seen other 150ccs, and EVERY rider says they "easily do 75-80mph" because they take what their speedo says as fact.

My bike has FULL mods save for a BBK, and it does 65mph on the flats as per GPS. Lighter bikes (mine is a type-23 style) may go 1 to5 mph faster with mods, but no stock gy6 can even touch me.

One of my club members swears his type-04 (handsome boy) 50cc with BBK and full mods does 70 mph (like SWEARS!) and even our old beater type-04 150cc smokes his bike.

Most mods WILL NOT increase your top speed, they just increase acceleration to THE SAME top speed it had stock.

A stock 150cc gy6 w 13" wheels goes 50 to 55mph top speed. You can tune it out to about 60mph with careful mods.

As for what to do; read my sig, and do those mods, you'll get the same results. Don't listen to people about bigger carbs, as bigger than 24mm are simply over-carbed and aren't making more power, just running rich and wasting fuel. A gy6 157qmj likes 24mm w 105 to 115 main jet, any more is way too much.

blueboy5000
09-20-2013, 08:16 AM
The tire is the most unlikely to afford you any gains. CVT and proper jetting are your best bet.

epyon96r
09-20-2013, 10:24 AM
I received my tire yesterday and am installing it today.. Most forums i have read say the size i ordered, will require some modding of the scoot. My scoot hit 55(gps) @ around 9,250 rpms, stock. I felt it had the power to go slightly faster if the gearing was changed. Since then, I made my freeflow muff, small amount of derestricting exhaust pipe, a k&n style filter, and an upjet from #105 to #110. My scoot picks up better, but still tops out at 55mph. So why not try a larger tire, (I needed a new one anyways). Ill keep y'all posted if I see any gains

jct842
09-21-2013, 01:08 AM
These gy6 motors are already making a lot more horse power than they were designed for initially. The 150s started out as a 110 as I remember and the makers started putting a bigger jug on them to get them up to 150, They still have the 110 case, crank, oil pump and all the rest so going much more in hp is going to cut into the longevity and reliability. These are not hondas.

epyon96r
09-21-2013, 01:30 AM
And on top of that, I no longer recommend a larger tire...I broke a swing arm mount trying to fit my larger tire. A little worried now. :(

tinstar
09-21-2013, 02:41 AM
I just gained a few more miles per hour...went from a 250 to a 400! :)

prodigit
09-21-2013, 04:49 AM
When you also pair a BBK with taller gears, you could improve speed somewhat.
A larger profile tire is not significantly going to increase MPH.
At most 1 or 2 MPH added to the top speed.

If the engine truly has it's torque band in the 7500 RPM, you got to try to get that top speed (55MPH in your case) at the 7500RPM, and not at 8+k RPM.
To change gears to taller gears does just that, and is probably your best speed improvement. much better than changing the variator, or performance exhaust; to optimize the top speed.
You'll also increase MPG in that case; but decrease acceleration somewhat; which shouldn't be a problem as most 150cc's can keep up quite fine with traffic from a dead stop.

Once you change the gears, you can test drive the bike, and see if you want to switch the rollers/sliders, as the variator will be maxed out at a lower speed, because it's rotating faster, and you will accelerate at a lower RPM; which is good to get better gas mileage, but if you want to optimize performance you'll have to lower the weight of the rollers/sliders, to get your acceleration going around the 7,5k RPM mark.

inuyasha
09-21-2013, 04:52 PM
Because the non-BBk'ed 50's DON'T go 50mph! Hell, even a fully modded BBK'ed to 83cc doesn't do 50mph. People serious have no idea. Many times I have seen other 150ccs, and EVERY rider says they "easily do 75-80mph" because they take what their speedo says as fact.

My bike has FULL mods save for a BBK, and it does 65mph on the flats as per GPS. Lighter bikes (mine is a type-23 style) may go 1 to5 mph faster with mods, but no stock gy6 can even touch me.

One of my club members swears his type-04 (handsome boy) 50cc with BBK and full mods does 70 mph (like SWEARS!) and even our old beater type-04 150cc smokes his bike.

Most mods WILL NOT increase your top speed, they just increase acceleration to THE SAME top speed it had stock.

A stock 150cc gy6 w 13" wheels goes 50 to 55mph top speed. You can tune it out to about 60mph with careful mods.

As for what to do; read my sig, and do those mods, you'll get the same results. Don't listen to people about bigger carbs, as bigger than 24mm are simply over-carbed and aren't making more power, just running rich and wasting fuel. A gy6 157qmj likes 24mm w 105 to 115 main jet, any more is way too much.
Hi Tommy
Spectre could hit a high of 55 mph with all the bells and whistles
http://www.scootdawg.net/showthread.php?t=52763
And April has hit a high of 63mph
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8370/8451485972_c37e22a97c_c.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/67070952@N06/8451485972/)
Sr 50 top speed (http://www.flickr.com/photos/67070952@N06/8451485972/) by inuyasha50 (http://www.flickr.com/people/67070952@N06/), on Flickr
Take care and ride safely dear friend
Yours Hank

rockie
09-21-2013, 07:48 PM
I don't care what it says on my cheap speedometer, I just want to go a little faster. Not a whole lot without blowing my engine up.

rockie
09-21-2013, 07:49 PM
Next Spring I will ask again.

epyon96r
09-23-2013, 10:44 PM
Finished my large tire install,got me an extra 3 mph from 55 to 58, its doesn't redline anymore. Not enough power?? I dunno but I'm happy with my ppirelli

4950cycle
12-02-2013, 11:19 PM
Everytime I see a conversation like this I hear no mention of rider wieght . How much a person wieghs has big influance on how a two wheeler performs. Especially rate of accelleration. And heavier people also have a good tendancy to be bigger hence catch more wind ! Wheather your fatter or taller (both weigh more than others) It will hinder your ability to keep up with your 100-150 lbs. buddies riding comparable scooters. We are talking about 5-10mph here. Rider Size/wieght has more to do with a difference like this than any baffle removal ever would from my 40 + yrs. of riding / tweaking shit to make it go better than it came from the factory. Just my two cents. Please state rider weight and size when talking about performance differences. It does matter much more with such small motored vehicles. Why do you think horse racing jockies are so small ??

Gimpdog
12-03-2013, 05:45 AM
Guilty!!!

novaraptor
12-03-2013, 04:55 PM
Hadn't read the original article, but was wondering when someone would mention rider weight. On one of the big motorcycle forums, it was mentioned not long ago, that in order to get better mpgs and a faster bike just lose 15 to 20 lbs. That applies to 135hp motorcycles, and applies even more to under 20hp scoots.. Now, if only I could take that advice...

blueboy5000
12-04-2013, 08:26 AM
Hi Tommy
Spectre could hit a high of 55 mph with all the bells and whistles
http://www.scootdawg.net/showthread.php?t=52763
And April has hit a high of 63mph
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8370/8451485972_c37e22a97c_c.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/67070952@N06/8451485972/)
Sr 50 top speed (http://www.flickr.com/photos/67070952@N06/8451485972/) by inuyasha50 (http://www.flickr.com/people/67070952@N06/), on Flickr
Take care and ride safely dear friend
Yours Hank

Sorry I should clarify:

no 50cc 4t engine is that fast, 50cc 2t, well that's a whole different game. My 2002 Kymco Yup 50 2t has been gpsed at 51mph.

Also; Spectre is balls-out modded :P