PDA

View Full Version : Gy6 50cc slower take off after changing roller weights and...

padly1995
09-12-2013, 03:48 PM
Hy recently i installed 5,75g roller weights and spare clutch from gy6 10* wheels scooter!
Now the problem is that scooter have slower take off instead off faster, but on revs it accelerates alot better. Now the questions are:
Is that problem coused by roller weights?
Are springs in clutch from 10* wheels scooter difriend than the springs in clutch from 12* wheels scooter?
Can anyting else be wrong with the clutch, its 1 year old and i had 75cc kit for last two moths on scooter when i taked off the clutch?

:thanks:

inuyasha
09-12-2013, 04:31 PM
Hi
welcome aboard
Pleased to meet you
Yes indeed it could be the rollers
I use a roller tuning kit when upgrading. it allows me to experiment with different weights until i find the proper one for my performance needs
http://www.scooterworks.com/prima-roller-weight-tuning-kit--16x13--3g-to-14g--products-1935.php#.UjIjHNLryc5
Once i find the proper weight i then get quality rollers or slider as the tuning ones are not for every day use, i recommend DR Pullys or NCY
If you decide to go with sliders go one gram heavier then the roller weight
Take care and ride safely
Yours Hank

prodigit
09-12-2013, 10:12 PM
most people say to get 5 gram rollers in 10"" wheeled scoots.
Some do 4,5 gram, but then the scoot can over-rev.
It also depends on what kind of counterspring your cvt is equipped with, and when it wears out, it becomes looser.

padly1995
09-13-2013, 12:01 AM
Hy, thank you for anwsers, so i must go with even lighter or heavier weights?

skuttadawg
09-13-2013, 01:10 AM
5,75g ??? Did you mean 5.75g ? I had 8g from the factory and went with 5g rollers and it was so much better on take off and up hill .

On my Echarm I changed out the rollers that weighed 12.2g with 5k of miles on them for 12g Dr Pulley sliders . At first initial take off was a hair less but had a better acceleration and I gained 5 MPH on the top end . 13k miles later takeoff is even faster but tops out at 67 to 70 instead of 75 since they worn down and became lighter .

Weight tuning requires testing a retesting as a half gram makes a diff . On my 2T it had 6g I tried 4g it did not take off faster but sounded like it was over revving on takeoff and had a top end loss . I mixed up 3 4g and 3 6g to equal 5g and liked it better . Later on when I installed a BBK , racing pipe and Uni I could hit 10,500 going up a large and steep hill . So I bought some 8g Dr Pulley sliders and Hoca 1.5k clutch springs since they engage at 1,500 RPMs higher than the stock springs to compensate for heavier weights . Well take off was much slower and top end was faster but I can still hit 9k up a large hill with a running start . I wanted to lower the RPMs at cruising speed since it drinks gas like I have a hole in the tank and I can just barely give it any throttle above idle when going downhill . We all know how much fun it is to zoom down a big hill .

Unsure if the clutch would be a diff size so compare side by side or measure with a caliper . Now the performance variators which have steeper ramps and larger diameter slow take off but increase top end . You have the option to try 1k, 1.5k or 2k clutch springs which act like a stall convertor in a car with an automatic tranny so it can launch faster than the stock torque convertor

prodigit
09-13-2013, 01:53 AM
Hy, thank you for anwsers, so i must go with even lighter or heavier weights?

It is best you could tell us how many RPM your bike does at top speed, what your top speed is, and what cc your engine is (a 50, 150, 200, or 250cc?)

If you don't have a tach, you could get one for $15 from ebay, a battery powered, with only one wire that needs to be wrapped around the sparkplug wire; easy on install, but a necessary tool for diagnostics if the bike itself doesn't have a tachometer on board!

padly1995
09-13-2013, 01:47 PM
Hy, yes i ment 5.75g :) My engine is 50cc, top speed is only 50 - 55km/h with no restrictions, thats strange because gy6 scoot i had before that one went almost 70km/h, i dont have touch for rpms sorry :S when accelerating rpms are higher than on top speed if that helps. Thanks

padly1995
09-13-2013, 01:50 PM
And i also removed metal silencer in exhaust, that looks like honeycomb and drilled a small hole in metal panel behind that "honeycomp"!

skuttadawg
09-13-2013, 10:34 PM
Removing the baffling you reduced the back pressure which will reduce take off . I put a BBK and a racing pipe and it was not as fast on take off but mid and top end it was a screamer

padly1995
09-14-2013, 07:36 AM
Removing the baffling you reduced the back pressure which will reduce take off . I put a BBK and a racing pipe and it was not as fast on take off but mid and top end it was a screamer

Thanks for anwser, i will put screw in that hole today