PDA

View Full Version : How do I troubleshoot a solenoid??

louky
09-06-2013, 02:45 PM
I just picked up a 50cc taotao with a no start condition. The battery is OK and charged but it won't start with the key. I can start it and run it by jumping the two big terminals on the solenoid. What I don't know how to do is to electrically bring the solenoid in to prove it is OK. There are two small wires going into the solenoid, yellow/green and yellow/red. How do I put 12 volts on these wires to jump the solenoid?

Also, I found a plug not plugged in but can't find the mate to it. The wires on this plug are solid green, and black/white. Any ideas what this might be? The location is around the spark plug. I haven't taken all the plastic off yet.

I know I need to verify that the starter button itself is working, the shut off switch, and the brake switch. I don't think this one has a kickstand switch. Is there anywhere else at for a no start?

Thanks

techie610
09-06-2013, 03:00 PM
Can you kickstart it?
The + wire from the battery should go the starter solenoid, with an inline fuse in between.
Of course, ground the - wire.
Turn the key on, and jump the solenoid, I use a screwdriver.

louky
09-06-2013, 07:08 PM
Techie: Thanks for the prompt response. I couldn't kickstart it but it also has a fuel problem. I was able to put 12Vdc on the small wires going into the solenoid and the starter worked then, telling me that the solenoid itself is working.

I then started with the left brake switch and checked for continuity when depressing the brake lever. I did not get continuity. Unplugged brake switch wire at the plug and jumped the bike side of the plug and got it to start. I found the brake switch plunger was stuck in preventing the start. Cleaned and lubed the plunger and kept working it back and forth til it freed up. I now get a good start every time. This bike was somewhat neglected and stored outside over at least 5 months without running. I'm sure this neglect is also part of the fuel problem which will be for another day.

techie610
09-06-2013, 11:34 PM
No problem. That's why we are here. :)

If it has been neglected for a while, replace the hoses. More than likely have small cracks in them. And 1 single bad vacuum line can cause all sorts of troubles. Check filter. If still low fuel going into carb, flush the tank.

blueboy5000
09-07-2013, 06:52 AM
The unplugged clip sounds like the remote-start/alarm clip, it's present on all gy6 wire harnesses.

Also check you primary fuse (the fuse on the small red-wire that attaches to the positive terminal of battery). And check your brake-light switches, if EITHER switch is broken, you will get a no-start condition.

louky
09-07-2013, 02:18 PM
Blueboy: The electric is up and running, turns out it was a stuck rear brake switch. Thanks for the tip on the possibility of it being the front switch also as I would not have thought to look at that. Also thanks for explaining the mystery plug!