PDA

View Full Version : Cuts off, mechanics useless!

GMan_Scoots
09-03-2013, 10:34 PM
Hey Gang:

Part of the reason why I want to open my own shop, is because the clowns that I keep taking my BMS Evo9 to, have no idea how to fix it. Granted, they sell Tao Tao's, so I should have known to go someplace else.

Anyway, my first post on ScootDawgs mentioned that my girl wasn't holding a charge. I didn't have the time or desire to chase the wiring, so I let "Barnum and Bailey" fix it. They diagnosed a new Rectifier, installed it, and I'm out the door.

3 days later, the exact same issue! I'm riding down the street, suddenly all power goes out. I let it sit for 20 mins, she starts, but cuts out. No power.

I've never had this problem before, and my personal feeling is that they sold me a bum battery, or a ground wire isn't attached. What are your thoughts? When I get it back - I made them look at it again (!!!) I'm going to chase down the problem myself.

Thanks!

G-Man

watcher64
09-03-2013, 10:38 PM
Ummmm if it only runs with a charged battery it is your stator , more than likely ...

Most scoots will run with a dead battery as long as the stator is putting out ...

GMan_Scoots
09-03-2013, 10:41 PM
Sounds like a plan. I can replace something like that myself, I assume? I used to turn wrenches on a 68 Chevelle project of mine, so I'm fairly confident

watcher64
09-03-2013, 10:55 PM
Could be the pickup coil, but the whole stator assembly is not that expensive anyway ...

thumper650
09-05-2013, 11:43 PM
I think you'll need a flywheel puller. I did mine a few years ago after I fried it by charging it with a car. It's not that hard.

skuttadawg
09-07-2013, 01:21 AM
Check the valves as they may be tight . Way too tight it may not start at all . Tight they tend to start then the engine wants to stall once warm since the valves are not opening up and restricting air a fuel from powering the engine . All 4T scooters will need to have the valves adjusted at least once with some needing it done out of the crate .
There is several how to do videos on you Tube to do this procedure that baffles most shade tree mechanics since it is getting fire , fuel and compression but not run correctly .
Buy the Haynes Chinese Scooter repair book . I bought a used copy from Amazon for 6 dollars with free shipping . It averages 25 or so new .

GMan_Scoots
09-07-2013, 04:31 PM
Thanks everyone! Just got it back today, and I'm sketchy. He gave me a replacement battery for the one he sold me, and this is by G-d, the last time I go to them. It's definitely electrical skuttdawg. I lose lights and all power, then it shuts off and won't start until I have batter juice.

skuttadawg
09-12-2013, 01:33 AM
A buddy had a bad battery and it would click like a bad cell . Rode it to the shop since it was new and they charged it up . Was fine for a few days but did it again . I rode with him to the shop and got them to replace the battery and tada it was good . So I would try another battery first since its so easy to change out . Do you have an alarm ? If so they have been known to drain a battery as well as a short can too