PDA

View Full Version : Drive belt slipping, maybe catching....

Ebuddy
08-30-2013, 12:22 PM
So on my Roketa MC-30-150, I've been noticing and increasingly odd problem. Once it warms up, I can feel the transmission "hesitating" when accelerating from a stop or from a very slow speed. Sometimes, it feels like the belt is slipping somehow and other times it feels more like it's getting hung up. Once it's past about 30 mph, it's smooth and seems fine.

Also, I'm not sure if it's related or not but after a long ride, the CVT cover is VERY hot to the touch. Hot enough such that I can't hold my fingers on it for more than a second.

I have an odd oil leak that I can't quite pin down. The scoot leaks from somewhere in the engine, but only when it's running and warmed up and for a short time thereafter. The leak seems to be small but I can see oil on the front air intake for the CVT case. I'm wondering if the oil is making it's way into the case itself.

I was planning on picking up a new belt and new rollers this weekend (the rollers were pretty worn when I had it apart earlier this year and the belt was just over 19mm. I was wondering if anyone had any other ideas so I don't have to make more than one trip to the scooter store. I read on scrappydog an issue with belts overheating because of a bad bearing in the clutch.

techie610
08-30-2013, 12:56 PM
I drilled holes in the rear end side of the CVT to run a little cooler.
If its getting too hot, the belt can stretch, cause too much play and slippage.
Slider weights are better than rollers.
Also, make sure the Varo face is still smooth, and doesn't have rings worn flat.

prodigit
08-30-2013, 03:57 PM
could also be the clutch slipping.
CVT gets hot naturally, it's not a big deal.

skuttadawg
08-30-2013, 11:56 PM
How many miles are on it ? Belts , weights and tires do wear out . When rollers wear out they get flat spots and weigh less since some material is gone . Check the snorkel and vent on the CVT cover to see if both are free from junk that would block or limit the air flow . Mine gets warm but never hot .

Only get a Gates Powerlink or Bando brand of belt as the generic belts are junk . Also buy from a trusted parts dealer as they is fake junk belts labeled Gates or Bando .

I replaced my 12g rollers at 5,500 miles with 12g Dr Pulley sliders and wow what an improvement . Takeoff about the same but it had a better curve in acceleration at midrange , gained 5 MPH on top end , and they did not make the rattle noise like rollers do . Sliders also last way longer . I currently have 17,600 miles with 12k on the sliders and I replaced the belt at 12k . I can tell they have some wear as takeoff is faster and it tops at 70 instead of 75 since they are lighter . Use compressed air ( do not breathe in the dust ) or a damp rag to remove dust from the belt and clutch shoes . A built up of dust in the clutch bell could make it hotter than a clean one . Make sure to grease the clutch shaft .

Worn weights will not push out the belt as far as heavier ones . A worn belt can have slack instead of being snug . I also replaced the variator glides too even though they looked good but had some signs of wear

prodigit
08-31-2013, 01:14 AM
grease the belt too, euh... :o

blueboy5000
08-31-2013, 08:36 AM
Um, don't EVER lubricate (or use Spider-Web brand belt-dressing) on a CVT belt!!!!! This could seriously damage your CVT!!!

But do apply a small amount of HIGH TEMP WHEEL BEARING GREASE to the rear-shaft before you install the clutch onto it.