PDA

View Full Version : Scooter 4T oil....

Jaybird09
08-28-2013, 12:01 PM
I have a 2013 Honda PCX150 and I didn't wanna run all the way out to Honda to get oil for her oil change, so I purchased this 10-40w scooter 4T oil from the scoot shop down the road. The guy tells me I need to use this oil it's better then the rest and is made for scooters and their constant stop and go.... Well I have been doing some google search and I can't seem to find any reviews on this oil or if it would be good for my scoot. Anyone ever use this stuff? How is it? Thoughts anyone....?

Thanks

Guest_3
08-28-2013, 01:08 PM
Anyone ever use this stuff?

Nope, I use rotella t 15w-40 in every thing I own. :tup:.

http://ts3.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.5024391277510702&pid=1.7&w=116&h=164&c=7&rs=1

Jaybird09
08-28-2013, 01:30 PM
Never heard of it... You ever hear of the Scooter 4t oil?

inuyasha
08-28-2013, 01:49 PM
Hi
Any high quality 4 t oil would be just fine i use Royal Purple in all of my vehicles. for a 4 t 10w 30 or 10w 40
Of more importance is doing regular scheduled oil changes before the oil has a chance to break down or get very impure
Take care and ride safely
Yours Hank

maddlibb
08-28-2013, 02:03 PM
Getting my first scooter in a day or two ( Roketa 250 )I have seen defferant suggestions on synthetic oils, mid synthetic and pure putroleum oils. Which is best and why?

Jaybird09
08-28-2013, 06:24 PM
Hi
Any high quality 4 t oil would be just fine i use Royal Purple in all of my vehicles. for a 4 t 10w 30 or 10w 40
Of more importance is doing regular scheduled oil changes before the oil has a chance to break down or get very impure
Take care and ride safely
Yours Hank

Thank you hank, I changed the oil and I think I might like this for its first oil change. But I hear great things about royal purple, what kind and weight?

inuyasha
08-28-2013, 07:11 PM
Thank you hank, I changed the oil and I think I might like this for its first oil change. But I hear great things about royal purple, what kind and weight?
Hi
I use 10w40 in my 4t vehicles in the warmer months
In the winter i use a lighter weight 5w30
Take care and ride safely my friend
Yours Hank

qwertydude
08-28-2013, 11:22 PM
Scooters like the PCX have no oil restrictions unlike real motorcycles with wet clutches. Motorcycle specific oil is made so wet clutches won't slip. But scooters don't have wet clutches so just use any car oil of the correct weight.

Since you're in Utah and it gets cold up there 15w-40 might not be the best idea. Technically you can run 15w-40 down to 5F it's still not that good to run a 15w oil below freezing, it's simply too thick to circulate and lubricate the engine while the engine is cold.

I'd go with the Synthetic 5w-40 Rotella year round. It's simply one of the best motor oil formulations period. But what it'll boil down to is this. It's a Honda regardless of the engine oil in it, one of three things will happen before the engine wears out. You lose interest in the bike and sell it, you crash it and it's totalled, you don't put enough miles on it and it just sits there. Rarely do people fully ride their Honda bikes til the engine wears out.

blueboy5000
08-29-2013, 08:09 AM
The basic oil for a gy6 is 10w40, it does not have to be synthetic or for motorcycles.

That said, I use Mobile Synthetic 4t Motorcycle oil, for no real reason other than it's always on sale at Autozone.

IMPORTANT!

If you use synthetic, DO NOT switch to dinosaur-oil (non-synthetic) as switching between the two can cause resin build up in the crankcase. Granted, that because gy6 use abec-style crank bearings, this is not as large a problem as swapping oil types in an automobile, but is still not recommended.

Jaybird09
08-29-2013, 10:17 AM
Scooters like the PCX have no oil restrictions unlike real motorcycles with wet clutches. Motorcycle specific oil is made so wet clutches won't slip. But scooters don't have wet clutches so just use any car oil of the correct weight.

Since you're in Utah and it gets cold up there 15w-40 might not be the best idea. Technically you can run 15w-40 down to 5F it's still not that good to run a 15w oil below freezing, it's simply too thick to circulate and lubricate the engine while the engine is cold.

I'd go with the Synthetic 5w-40 Rotella year round. It's simply one of the best motor oil formulations period. But what it'll boil down to is this. It's a Honda regardless of the engine oil in it, one of three things will happen before the engine wears out. You lose interest in the bike and sell it, you crash it and it's totalled, you don't put enough miles on it and it just sits there. Rarely do people fully ride their Honda bikes til the engine wears out.

This is some great info! I sure like being able to post something and get awesome detailed responses. I think next oil change I will be taking your advice. :thanks:

Jaybird09
08-29-2013, 10:18 AM
Thanks y'all for the help! I love my fellow scoot dawgs!!

Gimpdog
08-29-2013, 02:52 PM
"We luv you... You luv we!
We're a great ScootDawg family!!
While riding on your PCX one fifty,
Please wave when on the road you see me!!!!

jct842
08-29-2013, 03:10 PM
I had been using rotella in all my scooters. No reflection of it as a good oil but after I had to overhaul the top end of the majesty I went to casterol. I have read that casterol dino oil in air cooled engines results in among the lowest oil temps of all the dyno oils. In the past I have had mixed problems with synthetics, leaks, deposits like a gunk, and cost verses change intervals. I prefer to run the same dino oil in all scooters for convenience.

Jaybird09
08-29-2013, 06:13 PM
My scoot ain't air cooled and I wanna make sure to keep her running long as I possibly can in tip top shape.

Jaybird09
08-29-2013, 06:14 PM
Please wave when on the road you see me!!!![/QUOTE]

I'd be happy to, if I ever up in that area lol. This forum has been so awesome. Wish I would have seen it sooner and used it with my first scoot many years back. :cheers:

skuttadawg
08-30-2013, 11:17 PM
Start off with any automitve 10w40 , dino not synthetic . I have used ShellRotella 15w40 since its made for diesels so it is tough . I also used Casrol GTX and now use Castrol Synblend in my Echarm with almost 18,000 trouble free miles .

My Echarm is made by CFMoto and has a 2 year full warranty that requires that the authorized dealer must do the first oil and gear oil change at 250 miles or the warranty is void , so check your warranty if you get a new scooter with a warranty . Most only have a very limited 30 or 90 day to 6 months around where I live unless you get a high end brand .

I change the oil and gear oil ( it uses 10w40 instead of 80w90 in the gears like most do ) every 1,000 miles

Jaybird09
09-05-2013, 01:35 PM
I have gotta say that I am very impressed with this oil so far. I ride my scoot and I ride it a lot. I put serious miles on over the weekend. I changed the oil to see the looks and wear and it was still as clear as it was when I first changed it. I would recommend this oil for older scoots and scoots with a lot of miles.

Frank Castle
02-07-2014, 02:44 AM
i use this, its synthetic and the auto part store is literally around the corner from my house.

Frank Castle
02-07-2014, 02:50 AM
<snip>

I change the oil and gear oil ( it uses 10w40 instead of 80w90 in the gears like most do ) every 1,000 miles

my scoot mechanic said you dont have to change the gear oil till at least 5000 miles? is this correct?

qwertydude
02-14-2014, 08:04 AM
I would change the gear oil right away. The Chinese shipping oil they put in is just that. Good for shipping and that's about it. I change the gear oil first thing with synthetic and after 1000 miles drain and fill the gear oil again. Synthetic gear oil ought to outlast the entire engine's lifespan so might as well do it right once and after the first change never worry about it again.

Frank Castle
02-14-2014, 12:11 PM
I would change the gear oil right away. The Chinese shipping oil they put in is just that. Good for shipping and that's about it. I change the gear oil first thing with synthetic and after 1000 miles drain and fill the gear oil again. Synthetic gear oil ought to outlast the entire engine's lifespan so might as well do it right once and after the first change never worry about it again.

thxs, will do asap

twowheeler
02-14-2014, 08:59 PM
I use Mobile 1-4T and will be changing over to Rotella 5w40 t6 full synthetic. Its 24 bucks for a gallon vs 10 bucks a qt for the Mobile 1. Ive heard nothing but good things about this stuff!

Irish
07-12-2015, 01:27 PM
I have read many people saying that any automotive oil will do. I don't know if this is true but I thought that it would make for a good discussion! I was told (by a dealer that I worked for in a motorcycle shop) that you shouldn't run automotive oil in a cycle because the engine in a cycle runs much hotter & automotive oils will break down much quicker because of the heat! Granted this was many years ago & things may have changed!:hmm::shrug: Irish

scootermarry
07-14-2015, 03:59 AM
Never used it,meybe you need change it,
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-HONDA-1-GALLON-OF-GN4-10W40-4-STROKE-MOTOR-OIL-DIRT-BIKE-ATV-SCOOTER-/121667127608?hash=item1c53ed0938&vxp=mtr
or claen it or change http://www.chinesemotopartsonline.com/index.php/main_page/page/id/22