PDA

View Full Version : Runs Great / Don't Turn it Off

sleestak
08-26-2013, 10:56 AM
I recently installed an AirSal bbk into my scoot and got it fired up...ran it for a while, changed the oil & repeat. It runs like a top (ok maybe a tad rich), but here's the thing...getting it to start can be a pain, let me explain.

I bought this scooter as a project for $100. The electric starter never worked well enough to get the motor to fire up. Step-dad thinks it was due to a craptastic battery and personally I never cared because I don't mind kicking it over. Well now the bbk is in and compression is high - even with a monster battery, the electric starter probably isn't going to cut it (I'm still ok with this). On top of this, the starter button is kaput.

Kicking it over was fine for a bit, but then things inside the belt cover got weird. It would bind up, skip a tooth, overall just work like total pewp. Finally, I got stranded 3 miles from home at 11:30pm and pushed it home because the belt cover broke...kick starter dangling from the spring.

I bought a new cover & idler (there were some broken teeth) and got everything cleaned, greased and back together. It's still loose/wonky and now she lies dormant in the garage.

So tell me - are these things not supposed to be kicked over that often? Seems the tolerances in the kick start assembly aren't the greatest(?) I have seen complete assemblies for sale but don't want to throw $70 at a problem if it's likely I am going to repeat it again.

inuyasha
08-26-2013, 12:41 PM
Hi
The kickstarters on chinese scoots are for emergency use only dead battery etc, and as you have found out can easily break if used on a daily basis
You really should get the electric starter fixed asap and use that for daily use
heres some tips for the kickstarter
http://www.scooterforumonline.com/index.php?topic=1921.0
Take care and ride safely
Yours Hank

sleestak
08-30-2013, 11:21 AM
Thanks, that's what I needed to hear/read. I don't know why I prefer kicking it over, guess it always seemed more reliable, lol. Obviously not the case here (no pun intended)

skuttadawg
08-31-2013, 12:04 AM
If you are using the stock 40mm head with the BBK then compression will be much higher than it was . Many opt for adding a secondary base gasket to lower compression a hair . Does it have the stock CDI ? Many aftermarket performance CDIs have advanced timing and some have reported it was not as easy to start as before .

Check the valve clearances as too tight can make it hard to start , stall once warm and in extreme cases no start at all . Many how to videos on You Tube .

I also had this kit and was impressed with the craftsmanship and performance . I used a 95 main jet with airbox and stock exhaust . I used 5g rollers instead of 8g that it came with since it is hilly here and Im a 200 lb guy .

A buddy used that BBK with a big valve head on the top of this page along with a 24mm carb , Uni and performance exhaust http://www.scrappydogscooters.com/139QMB_50cc_Performance.html

With a new BBK I would put on a new belt too

sleestak
09-01-2013, 05:07 PM
Checked all clearances, it's all good now. Initially I had the a9 cam in it, but when I was checking everything out before putting the motor back in, turning it over by hand showed that the lift was too high so I went back to the stock cam. Guess I have the odd ball sized valves. Using the stock head...can I just double up on had gasket instead of base? Should essentially do the same thing, I would think.

Are you two using more than one gasket, or are you doubling up as well?

It has a gates belt, ncy variator, orange cdi and coil, 5g rollers, 85# jet and stock exhaust and intake.
Spark looks a bit weak, might try a new stator, also my starter button isn't working.

sleestak
09-25-2013, 09:16 PM
Bump for info from folks who have used this kit.

Are you, extra gaskets?
Does it start with electrical starter?

This thing is still laying dormant with crappy spark, lots o'compression, and don't even get me started on these kick starter assemblies (what a joke)