PDA

View Full Version : Repacking Tecnigas Next R Silencer can?

carasdad
08-22-2013, 09:20 AM
Need to repack my Tecnigas Next R Silencer can. Engine was running rich..then suddenly got louder...was losing power and getting VERY hot. This particular can does not have a complete wrap around the center pipe..it is actually 2 channel shaped halves that go on each side of the inner pipe seem. First few layers are petrified and rock hard almost...outer layers are still soft. If you squeeze the packing it looks like a kitchen sponge...except instead of soapy water an oil/fuel residue comes out in huge amounts. My question is..how critical is the packing compression.. i.e. light layer...medium layer or a real tight fit in the can. Also not sure how to wrap it as the Tecnigas pipes come with 2 halves vice a single wrap all around the inner pipe. Will repacking mess up my performance? It is shot already however..runs hot and bottom end is non existent. I just don't want to ruin the engine or pipe. When I raced MotoCross it was easy...cause the sponsor just bought a whole new exhaust system from engine to the tip of the silencer. But I can't afford a new Tecnigas pipe every 1,000 miles or so. Odd that lots of posts here are about modding a stock muffler...yet none about aftermarket performance pipe issues or maintenance.. This leads me to believe my burnt and crusted tuned pipe is a rare occurrence with Scooters...or is repacking them part of normal service?

carasdad
08-22-2013, 08:24 PM
Whoa!! Slow down on all the replies I can't keep up.Oh wait...there are none... :hmm: Got 'er done!.. But now quieter than a stock 50cc 4T with stock muffler. :o Does not over heat like it did... 1/2 mile and can was so hot you could not touch it...in fact after an 8 mile run to Fennville the silencer can was barely warm to the touch. Low end is back..but not like it was when new..so maybe a lil more or lil less?