PDA

View Full Version : Trouble Codes from Coolant Temp Light

finaljudgement
08-21-2013, 10:08 PM
I have a 2003 Piaggio BV200. The coolant temp warning light flashes various codes; some cannot be related to overheating because I sometimes get the code immediately upon startup. I cannot find any reference source to figure out what the codes mean. Anyone have a source?

Finaljudgement

skuttadawg
08-22-2013, 11:15 PM
Silly question may be , but do you have the owners manual ? My Echarm has a dummy light too that I can count the short or long flashes and look up the code based on how many long or short flashes it does . It may be just a self check procedure if it goes off after start up and all is well . Has it ran hot and have you checked the coolant level ? I have had mine give me a couple of codes but when I took it to my dealer and he hooked it up to a computer he said it was fine and just an over sensitive sensor . I have seen if one mods the exhaust or ECU on an EFI model that the o2 sensor should be replaced with a performance one

finaljudgement
08-23-2013, 11:39 AM
I have a shop manual that I downloaded. It has nothing about codes from the coolant temp light. I called the dealer and they have a scanner that will read the codes. Costs $100 but i think I am going to do it. Scoot does not overheat, coolant level is good and coolant is fresh. The service manager said that the fan thermal switch and the warning light are on the same circuit so it is likely to be a wiring problem.

Thanks for your input.

Finaljudgement

finaljudgement
08-31-2013, 04:46 PM
An update. Went to the dealer and learned that the scoot does not have a diagnostic plugin. The tech then detached the wire running to the thermistor. It caused the idiot light to blink. He grounded the wire and the temp warning light went on solid red. The problem was caused by a loose connection with the female spade clip at the end of the wire and the thermistor. It is a locked spade clip (something I had not seen before). The tech squeezed the clip with long nosed pliers and presto the problem was solved.

Finaljudgement