PDA

View Full Version : New or used?

Fino
08-16-2013, 10:35 AM
Hey everyone,

I'm new to the community and I am looking for a scooter to commute to work. I was seriously interested in a 2008 Buddy 125 with only 600 miles on it. But while waiting for the seller to return my phone call, I stumbled a buying guide that discussed the value of new Chinese scooters. And in looking those up from some sellers recommended on this site, it seems like I could get a new 150 for less than the $1,800 wanted for the used Buddy. With all of the options and pros and cons, I'm a bit overwhelmed. And, since everyone has one (an opinion that is), I'd appreciate some opionons on a used 2008 Buddy for $1,800 vs. a new, less expensive scooter.

Thanks!

Asher

Guest_3
08-16-2013, 11:09 AM
a used 2008 Buddy for $1,800 vs. a new, less expensive scooter.Asher, Give this one some thought... :tup:

Why buy other peoples junk/troubles that you don't know how well they took care of it.

New 2013' Roketa MC-54-250, $1875 .
Total Includes Shipping in the USA.
Residential Lift Gate Service Delivery $75 Additional.

techie610
08-16-2013, 11:10 AM
For a slightly bigger bike, with some speed, a warranty, and potential to mad ( if you get into that :) )
http://www.powersportsmax.com/index.php/cPath/38_94

Fino
08-16-2013, 11:51 AM
Hey, thanks guys! I was thinking along the same lines, that with a 3rd-hand bike (the seller bought it used) there could be some real unknown issues. It definitely looks great, but it seems like I could get a lot more for the same money these days.

Also, techie610, not sure what "mad" is; but I'm always curious!

Thanks again!

Asher

techie610
08-16-2013, 12:31 PM
Hey, thanks guys! I was thinking along the same lines, that with a 3rd-hand bike (the seller bought it used) there could be some real unknown issues. It definitely looks great, but it seems like I could get a lot more for the same money these days.

Also, techie610, not sure what "mad" is; but I'm always curious!

Thanks again!

Asher

My apologies. Mod. Modding.
Not mad.. lols

Fino
08-16-2013, 01:19 PM
Got it! No worries, and as experience with scooters grows and interest by the kids I might be into mods - thanks again!

Ebuddy
08-16-2013, 01:43 PM
Twice now I've purchased used bikes "cheap". In both cases, I spent a LOT of time tinkering, fixing, adjusting and sometimes "undoing" all that was wrong with it. I enjoyed every minute of it because it's a nice way to distract my brain and deal with stress. If you're like me, and you want to and are willing to learn, then going used and cheap *might* be the right thing for you. If not, then I agree with everyone else that it's not in the least worth it. My plan however was always to start small and cheap and learn as I went along until I knew enough such that I could do all my own work. Once I reach that point (maybe sometime late next year) I will drop real $$$ on a nice ride that I can enjoy and feel good that I can fix anything that might go wrong with it. =)

techie610
08-16-2013, 02:11 PM
Agreed, Ebuddy. However, without extensive knowledge, it might be better to get a new one, because when something does go wrong, he could take it apart from the correct form. No telling whats been 'rigged' on some bikes.

jct842
08-16-2013, 03:12 PM
I bought used majesty in 2010. I was able to only ride it a few times as my knee was in such bad shape. Turns out I bought some one elses junk. The engine had been run with bad aircleaners on it. The majesty design is a bad bad thing, one of being where it draws clean air from under the front wheel. Long story short I have a grand more than it is worth in it, a top end over haul and it is now running good.

Buying some one elses junk sucks.

Fino
08-16-2013, 08:53 PM
Thanks everyone! With 2 kids, a dog, brother-in law living with us, I think the new scooter plan would be the right fit. I'm still looking forward to doing my own PDI and new scooter maintenance, but I don't have a whole lotta time for more than that. Thanks again!

Asher

watcher64
08-16-2013, 09:18 PM
I would go New, if you are not a tinkerer , I was not ..

But after buying my first scoot, I found an 2011 ATM-50 ended up buying it for $100, it needed some work, and so I have used it to learn , now I have no fear to work on my main scoot should it need it ..

p.s. now my ATM-50 runs circles around my new scoot ...

Guest_3
08-16-2013, 09:55 PM
Asher, Heres another thought.

Check out the Sponsors on here and see what deal they can offer you on a new scoot. :).

http://www.scootdawg.net/forumdisplay.php?f=55

cookees
08-17-2013, 08:50 AM
For a couple hundred more...you could buy a brand new SYM. With a two year warranty it's a no-brainer. "Life's too short to ride a crappy scooter"

Fino
08-17-2013, 08:12 PM
Thanks all. I also like the Roketa Heritage 150. I'm gonna ride my wife's Buddy when she's not taking it in to get a better feel for the commute and to see if I really want a scooter. She does a good job of helping me cool my jets!

prodigit
08-19-2013, 11:24 AM
check superiorpowersports ,
they generally have the cheapest chinese bikes on the market.
They've increased in price, but sometimes still have good deals, like this one:

http://www.superiorpowersports.com/250cc_Gas_Scooter_p/rk250sc-68a.htm#
For under $1800 delivered at your doorstep.
http://ifutureweb.com/superior/moreimages/RK250SC-68A/RK250SC-68A-4.jpg

If you're not too much into that model, they do have the MC-54-250-b for $1900 delivered.

But if you ask me, the best deal for a 2 wheeler on that site still is this one:
http://www.superiorpowersports.com/127cc_motorcycle_p/rk127mc-05.htm
http://a248.e.akamai.net/origin-cdn.volusion.com/3acnj.jebn4/v/vspfiles/photos/RK127MC-05-2.jpg?1323383354
For $1040, you got a manually geared motorcycle. It needs a bit of mounting before you can use it, but it's fun, nimble, weighs just about as much as a 50cc scooter, and with a $50 sprocket change (I sell mine for $35), you can get 95MPG, upto 65MPH out of this 125cc bike!

Aside from that, I'd probably look into this scooter as well:
http://www.superiorpowersports.com/150cc_Gas_Scooter_Pilot_p/rk150sc-123.htm
http://a248.e.akamai.net/origin-cdn.volusion.com/3acnj.jebn4/v/vspfiles/photos/RK150SC-123-2.jpg?1372867879

It's an 80% sized scooter (like the ATM50), but with a 150cc engine in it.
Super nimble, accelerates fast, and with some tuning goes 60+MPH est top speed is 65MPH; because the body is so small, it creates less wind drag.
The 150cc engine shoots the thing forward like a rocket!
And for $940 delivered, it's a steal!

Guest_3
08-19-2013, 12:44 PM
Call or Email Us, We Guarantee Price match! List Price: $2,179.95
Our Price: $1,549.95
You save $630.00! Shipping & Handling: $239.95
Where is the savings from what I posted ?.

We Guarantee Price match! Its not my/our job to do all work at finding the best price for them to match, Its theirs !!!!. if they want my business.

amac1680
08-19-2013, 01:21 PM
For a couple hundred more...you could buy a brand new SYM. With a two year warranty it's a no-brainer. "Life's too short to ride a crappy scooter"

Ill have to agree. If you can scrape together a little extra check out the Lance Clai Classic. I also looked at a Heritage 150 and the Lance is head and shoulders above. From the engine of life to the fit and finish. Now available in 50, 125 and 150cc.

Be Big,
AMAC

Ebuddy
08-19-2013, 03:15 PM
Agreed, Ebuddy. However, without extensive knowledge, it might be better to get a new one, because when something does go wrong, he could take it apart from the correct form. No telling whats been 'rigged' on some bikes.

That's true. When I got my first (a Geely, of all kinds), I'd never so much as clamped a fuel hose and certainly not even seen the inside of a carb. I learned a TON though (YouTube and forums such as this can do wonders) and each time builds upon learning from before. But I can't overestimate the hours I spent NOT riding and for some, that's just not (understandably) worth it.

amac1680
08-19-2013, 04:09 PM
Well put. My reverse trike took at least 40hrs just to get it in what I would call "safe working order". That said it took almost 20hrs to get the front end set up correctly. I knew zero about scooters before I started and now can rip apart a CN250 motor, fix marginal wiring and monkey with the CVT. it has been fun.

It's still a work in progress at 2500 miles. I've enjoyed the hobby but also needed a scoot that all I needed to do was hit the start button and go. I bought the Kymco then the Cali for that reason. Good dealer and little to no wrench turning.

If you don't mind the work IMO there are some damn good china scoots available on the net at great prices.

Be Big,
AMAC

gy6shortyexhaust
08-22-2013, 12:14 AM
new if you can afford it, used if you like tinkering

finaljudgement
09-10-2013, 01:23 PM
I have never bought a scoot that runs. I restored a 2003 Piaggio BV200 for my old boss about 2 years ago. Paid $900 for it; it had 2500 miles on it. Cleaned .the carb, changed out all the lines (fuel and water) then made the mistake of riding it before I have it to him. It was such fun that I had to get another. Since then I have purchased 2 50cc and 4 150, and a Sym 20HD. My boss traded the Beverly back to me for a Vintage because it fit him better. I give the scoots to people in my church (mostly) who need transportation. It is a great hobby in retirement.

I am seriously thinking of getting a new/newer scoot for myself that is fuel injected. This forum has given me lots of good advice on how to repair these sometimes cranky machines.

Finaljudgement

DaveC
09-12-2013, 12:26 PM
Back to price matching:
Why just match someone else's price? If they have it cheaper, I'm getting it from them
However, if you discount 1% 2% 3% from someone one else's already lower price, then I'll buy from you.
I'll do the homework to find the lowest price (taking into consideration shipping, etc) and buy from them.

ScooterGirl
02-07-2014, 10:35 PM
I would always buy them new. Scooters are much, much cheaper than cars, and you can usually find a brand new one for under $2,000. I don't trust buying used scooters; I prefer to always buy them brand new.

Frank Castle
02-07-2014, 10:44 PM
never buy a used scooter, buy a new one

inuyasha
02-08-2014, 12:09 AM
Hi
Ive had some excellent deals purchasing used
http://www.scootdawg.net/showthread.php?t=52763
Take care and ride safely
Yours Hank

cheapeto
02-08-2014, 07:56 AM
I'd never buy used chinaknockoff.
I do buy used, branded machines, over new,myself.

Irish
08-10-2015, 11:40 AM
Asher, Give this one some thought... :tup:

Why buy other peoples junk/troubles that you don't know how well they took care of it.

New 2013' Roketa MC-54-250, $1875 .
Total Includes Shipping in the USA.
Residential Lift Gate Service Delivery $75 Additional.

When living in N.H. , I bought many used motorcycles to repair & resell. Alot of times , the ones that looked the best , had horrible mechanical things done to them! They may have been fine for the person that did them but anyone else didn't know what was done! I'm 71 now & have been a mechanic most of my life. I'm sick of fixing things. I just want to ride now! There are many pros & cons but if I was you-I'd buy NEW!:clap::tdown: Irish:scoot::nuts: