PDA

View Full Version : Roketa 150 won't stay running

Jaybird09
08-13-2013, 09:54 PM
So my roommate bought a 2008 Roketa 150, I have owned a few and always seemed to have problems. Anyways. It wasn't running when he bought it. I checked a few things. (Spark, fuel carb etc) and found the carb was bone dry. The fuel pump wasn't allowing fuel to come to the carb. Soaked it in cleaner and fired right up. It ran most the day yesterday, but when we was on a cruise it just died and it won't start, when it does start it dies. I am dome with tinkering with it and he is not much of a mechanic at all. Any ideas on what could be causing this issue? Plug is brand new, gets spark, fuel is still running to the carb but battery need to be jump started every time. It's gotta over 5k miles on her as well. Thanks y'all.

skuttadawg
08-13-2013, 10:34 PM
Most likely the valves need adjusting as all 4Ts will need to have it done at least once . They get too tight and prevent enough fuel and air to start or keep it running . Many shade tree mechanics have their mind blown as it gets fire , get fuel , has compression but no start . This is one reason why you see used scooters priced so low from a frustrated owner that gave up instead of doing research . My scooter dealer told me many scooters out of the crate come with the valves not set proper from the factory . Way too tight = no start . Semi tight = it may start but stall or die once the engine warms up . Too loose and it can want to stall just before coming to a stop like my Echarm did at 2,200 miles . Go the valves adjusted and 15k+ miles later no problems at all . Any auto part store should sell the valve feeler gauges that have an angled tip in order to fit in there better than a standard flat blade . Only check the gaps on a cold engine to get a proper reading . There is many how to videos on You Tube as well as instructions if you search it . I suggest buying Haynes Chinese Scooter repair manual ( around 20 to 25 dollars unless you get lucky like me and find a used copy for 6 dollars on Amazon.com ) as it is a great source of how to service and repair with exploded diagrams and troubleshooting tips . I always buy a Haynes or Chilton for all of my cars since its well worth it to have the data like wiring schematics ETC .

It is common to get a bad pecock like a torn diaphragm and simple to replace with another one or opt for a manual valve depending on its location if easy to get to if you go manual . Most have a fuel tank under or behind the seat , but those with it in the floor board often have fuel pump issues mostly at top RPMs . If it has the fuel tank in the floorboard most opt to get a vacuum fuel pump made by Mikuni ( great brand ) to replace the stock junky one and some go with an electric pump which requires 3.5 amps or so

Jaybird09
08-14-2013, 12:05 PM
I will have to try that. I did the valves on my old Roketa. It wasn't to hard and it ran awesome after. I didn't think that it could make the scoot not even run. I will give this all a try. Thank you for the advice. I will post the results soon as I get em done

Jaybird09
08-21-2013, 01:03 PM
So after adjusting the valves and then replacing the fuel and filter we got her running, just to go out on a ride and have it die and pushed it home. After looking a little more into the problem the spark plug boot was not connecting to, bought a new one and seems to run good now.

Jaybird09
08-25-2013, 02:43 PM
So I am having a problem with the scoot again. I adjusted the valves and it was running, but driving it home from work and it died on me. It starts and it will run, but as soon as I give it gas it just dies on me! PLEASE HELP.... This thing is be coming a pain

techie610
08-26-2013, 05:16 PM
It will idle, but not run while giving it throttle?
Check for Vacuum leak, not getting enough gas, or clean the Carb. and jets.

Jaybird09
08-28-2013, 12:03 PM
Yeah it will idle, but soon as you touch the throttle it just dies right away. Cleaned the carb out and it seems to run better. But I still rev the throttle and it will die again. I am thinking whole new carb? I see em on eBay all the time for cheap.

techie610
08-28-2013, 12:08 PM
Did you check all the hoses for a vacuum leak?
What are your valves at?
What Jets sizes are you running?

Jaybird09
08-28-2013, 01:28 PM
Not to sure on the jet sizes. To be honest I ain't not all to comfortable with the carb, I hear it can be easy to screw up.. Vales are adjust to .004 intake and .005 outtake. I have cheacked hoses for some kinda vacuum leak but j can not seem to locate it. I think it's time to sell the scoot as is and focus on my new one. I ws just hoping to get this scoot running and keep it running so my girl could use it and ride with me.... I do notice the engine had a knock/ticking sound now as well. I hear Roketa have a lot of issues. But this is beyond being fun

techie610
08-28-2013, 03:46 PM
If your not comfortable digging into the bike, and it seems to have 3 or problems, sell it for what you can, and get a new on. That would be my call anyway. If you want a good, inexpensive 150, look at Linhia. Bentelli also have a real nice one, call the Havoc.

Jaybird09
08-28-2013, 06:25 PM
I have it posted as is for $200 I am sure there is someone out there that can fix it and know what they are doing. Thank y'all for your help. This will help me explain to the new buyer about some of the issues and possible problem with it.

Jaybird09
08-28-2013, 06:33 PM
I wish I was able to fix it. But it's not much for this guy